Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marc Herramens to race in hawaii!
Quote | Reply
This guy is just awesome. Runs to a 6th place finish in 2001. Back in a wheelchair in 2002 and had to DNF due to urinary tract infection. Now back in 2003 and ready to race. If anybody has a bigger heart, I'd be suprised. I'll be glued to the internet rooting hard for him.

http://it1.insidetri.com/race/iro/articles/1786.0.html
Quote Reply
Re: Marc Herramens to race in hawaii! [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely amazing! I have last year's race on DVD, and his story amazes me every time I watch it. I'll definitely be pulling for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I read somewhere that his swim time is only 6min slower than his '01 time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before he got injured he was a PowerCranks athlete. If he does this, I can assure you that PowerCranks had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it (unless he tied them to his wheel chair to add substantial weight while training). It is all him, all heart. some truly awe inspiring stories out there.

Speaking of awe inspiring stories, the Hoyt's are back. Saw them today. I think they are doing it again also. No wonder WTC has booked extra time for the TV show this year.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Marc Herramens to race in hawaii! [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank,

Just for fun but wouldn't PC's accomplish about the same gains in efficiency for a hand cyclist (i.e. smoother circles, balancing of muscle use)? It strikes me that the handcycle crowd is getting larger and no one has developed training aids for their use. Maybe a new market for PC's?

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Marc Herramens to race in hawaii! [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yarf asks: "Just for fun but wouldn't PC's accomplish about the same gains in efficiency for a hand cyclist (i.e. smoother circles, balancing of muscle use)?"

No. If you were to get on a hand cycle you would have no trouble making it work smoothly, at least until your arms gave out. We normally use both sets of muscles fully in the upper extremity.

I had thought about trying to merket PC's to the PC's, to substanially enlarge my potential customer base, but then I remembered that the arms effectively push and pull in a coordinated fashion now in most people, although I could see some benefit in a quad, like Marc, encouraging them in getting back what muscles he could, until I realized he already had a pair.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply