Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon in training shoes? Advice/suggestions sought.
Quote | Reply
I do all my training in Gel Kayano.
I have a new pair ready to be broken in for a marathon in 7 weeks.

Or should I invest in a lighter racing shoe?
I've looked at Gel Noosa or Gel Hyper... Is there a real benefit over a marathon distance?
Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Little info... 80-90km/week training, I like the Kayanos for comfort and cushioning, but cushioning isn't ultra important (no ankle/knee/hip problems).
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in training shoes? Advice/suggestions sought. [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a real benefit over the marathon distance but only if you are comfortable in them.

Lighter racing shoes like that are not a bad idea to invest in regardless of whether you use them in the marathon. But if you even consider doing the marathon in them, you'll need to be used to running long and fast in them. You should able to do a couple of longer runs in them in what remains of your buildup and come away feeling OK. Particularly you should be able to at least one long, hard effort in them without feeling beat up.

If you buy some, try them out like this and you feel too beat up, then save them for shorter races. You don't have to decide until race day.
Last edited by: JoeO: May 5, 15 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in training shoes? Advice/suggestions sought. [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from Kayano's in my infancy of the sport to Saucony Kinvaras and have never looked back. The weight savings is so significant you will wonder how in god's earth you ever ran in Kayano's. I took around 2-3 weeks of slower running on soft surfaces to transition. Calves took a bit to catch up but now I love these things. I train and race in them - even for my marathon last year. And finding them on sale for $50 is even better!
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in training shoes? Advice/suggestions sought. [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it makes more of a difference the longer the race is. I do all my training in Kinvaras (have started to use the Zealot some this year, but it is going to be a one and done shoe) and then race in A4/5/6 shoe. There is a significant weight difference and considering I have to swing less weight 180ish times a minute, it adds up over time.
Quote Reply