Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Man cycles around the world in 79 days
Quote | Reply
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...ide-central-41308524

Mind-blowingly impressive stats! 18,000 miles, 79 days, 240 miles, 16 hours of cycling and 5 hours of sleep per day. Mark Beaumont must truly have a taint of steel.
Quote Reply
Re: Man cycles around the world in 79 days [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much faster he would have gone without disc brakes.

In all seriousness, that's incredible. Looks like he posted it all to strava too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been following his efforts on YouTube and it looks as though it's been an incredible journey.

Unbelievable accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Re: Man cycles around the world in 79 days [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
narcomoeba wrote:
I wonder how much faster he would have gone without disc brakes.

In all seriousness, that's incredible. Looks like he posted it all to strava too.

From the pictures in Strava, he is using disc brakes :)

Oops...read your post wrong :(
Last edited by: jaretj: Sep 19, 17 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: Man cycles around the world in 79 days [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
InF**kingCredible!
Went thru 10 chains, 5 or 6 cassettes, 3 chainrings......
I cannot see this record being broken for many many years

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there when he got to the Arc de Triomphe... talk about good timing. Had dipped into a cafe by the site and met two guys in there that were waiting for him with a bottle of champagne and glasses. Didn't chat with him, watched him come in and jumped on the metro.

Quite the accomplishment for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Man cycles around the world in 79 days [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
InF**kingCredible!
Went thru 10 chains, 5 or 6 cassettes, 3 chainrings......
I cannot see this record being broken for many many years

snapped a dura ace crank clean in half too! #strong
Last edited by: The Red Baron: Sep 27, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41308524

Mind-blowingly impressive stats! 18,000 miles, 79 days, 240 miles, 16 hours of cycling and 5 hours of sleep per day. Mark Beaumont must truly have a taint of steel.

It would be interesting if his nutritionist would post a food log with estimated cal/day intake for each day, along with the miles ridden and elevation, headwinds/tailwinds, etc, for that day.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Man cycles around the world in 79 days [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you check out their YouTube channel they have loads of videos talking about this kind of thing. I recall a few videos at the start of the expedition specifically detailing their nutrition plans and a few along the way about how they were adapting and keeping things fresh.

The basic plan throughout was 9000(!) calories per day, which is a lot of eating no matter how you do it!
Quote Reply
Re: Man cycles around the world in 79 days [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
If you check out their YouTube channel they have loads of videos talking about this kind of thing. I recall a few videos at the start of the expedition specifically detailing their nutrition plans and a few along the way about how they were adapting and keeping things fresh.

The basic plan throughout was 9000(!) calories per day, which is a lot of eating no matter how you do it!

OK, thanks for that info, did not know they had a YouTube channel. The 9000 cal/day was about what I was guessing and indeed that is a sheet ton of calories any way you eat them!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Man cycles around the world in 79 days [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've followed Mark for years after getting involved in bike touring. I rode a lot of the route he did back when he cycled around the world about 10 years ago. I had no interest in speed, I wanted to see the world not race around it.

I found his attempt back then far more interesting and he made a series of videos for the BBC and they are also on Youtube. There are 8 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kBMGbHanLU

Later, he cycled from Alaska to Argentina and also climbed Mt. McKinley and Acongacua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Xrutl8vSU
Quote Reply