Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Making my position UCI legal.
Quote | Reply
Moving away from Tri's into TT's. Local only, but might move into higher levels if I can get fast.

I am currently not UCI legal. My seat is only 3cm behind the center of the BB, and I am at 82cm of extension from the BB at the picot of my shifters.

I figure I will just move my seat back 2.5cm and my extensions back 2.5cm (to error on the safe side).

Will I need to make any other changes to fit, or will it be that simple?
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It might be that simple. Nose of seat 5 cm behind center of BB and arc of the shift levers less than 75 cm from center of BB. Not the pivot. As you said, one morphological exception allows the arc of the shifters to extend to 80 cm as long as seat is 5 cm. Easiest way is attend a UCI event and have your bike put in the jig. At Road Nationals in Louisville, I think they offered it the day before the TT, and of course, in staging. If you're taller than 190cm, you get 85cm.
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [bdungan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bdungan wrote:
It might be that simple. Nose of seat 5 cm behind center of BB and arc of the shift levers less than 75 cm from center of BB. Not the pivot. As you said, one morphological exception allows the arc of the shifters to extend to 80 cm as long as seat is 5 cm. Easiest way is attend a UCI event and have your bike put in the jig. At Road Nationals in Louisville, I think they offered it the day before the TT, and of course, in staging. If you're taller than 190cm, you get 85cm.

If it is arc of shift levers I am fucked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's arc. So if you're running mechanical, put your shifter in what ever gear is the longest reach forward. The tip of that cannot go beyond 80cm.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://road.cc/...,%20March%202012.pdf

This PDF suggest it is pivot point. See page 13.
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.uci.ch/...2016-ENG_English.pdf

This document agrees with you.

So I would be fucked. I am 8cm beyond the maximum if measured this way.
Last edited by: Triagain3: Sep 20, 17 14:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:
http://road.cc/sites/default/files/UCI%20check%20of%20the%20equipment%20and%20position%20in%20competition,%20March%202012.pdf

This PDF suggest it is pivot point. See page 13.

wow amazing regulations. But great paper with pictures, etc to explain

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It is indeed the arc of the shifter. I can verify this from a recent event. Strong reason to get Etap.

Here's a bunch of other stuff that can be real gotchas

* Your seat needs to be more or less level and it can't be real long or real short.

* Aero bars may not rise (or dip) more than 10cm from the elbow pad. 10cm is not much!

* No disc covers. For some reason, Hed wheels are OK. I guess it's considered structural

* No other fairings

* No customization or home-built parts. If you sawed something off or used washing machine parts, they're going to DQ you.

* You need to shorten your socks. Tri-nerd compression socks are not allowed. I'm serious.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 10cm is measured to the shifter at the top most point as well (aren't the rules great!) So they measure it straight out for length, and straight up for height :D Makes it a very real disadvantage not to use electronic shifting.

the custom stuff / covers is hit or miss. Depends on who is looking.

Socks are measured from your ankle bone to your knee. Halfway up that length.

If you are trying to fit a jig, be ready to possibly be very frustrated. Not every jig is built the same, so you might pass 3 of them and then fail the 4th.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:
Moving away from Tri's into TT's. Local only, but might move into higher levels if I can get fast.

I am currently not UCI legal. My seat is only 3cm behind the center of the BB, and I am at 82cm of extension from the BB at the picot of my shifters.

I figure I will just move my seat back 2.5cm and my extensions back 2.5cm (to error on the safe side).

Will I need to make any other changes to fit, or will it be that simple?

What crank length are you currently using? That may be an avenue for you to meet the regs easier.

Going shorter than you currently run will allow you to move the saddle AND the bars back the difference in crank lengths and keep your touchpoint (saddle, bars, foot in power stroke) relationships constant.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you explain that to h20notfun again?
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
can you explain that to h20notfun again?

That's apparently impossible.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]What crank length are you currently using? That may be an avenue for you to meet the regs easier.

Going shorter than you currently run will allow you to move the saddle AND the bars back the difference in crank lengths and keep your touchpoint (saddle, bars, foot in power stroke) relationships constant.[/quote]

I am on 165's.

My extensions are 187cm out, just measured them this morning with some better tools. Seat is 3cm from BB center. So I would need to cut a full 7cm off my extensions.

At this time, I am thinking I will not bother until I know I am racing where they will be tested. And If I get to that level, it will be new bike time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for reference
They didn't check at master's nats this year. (that seems to change back and forth through the years though)
Did at pro nats

Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train and race in Canada. I wonder if they test regularly here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he is Canadian.....
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh I missed that.

Not sure about Canada.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am over thinking this.

I will just ride the bike. If I get quick enough for this too be an issue I will worry then. For now, I am not changing the position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before giving you any advice, I'd want to know what seat you're on.

But, for virtually everyone of our TT'rs, we place the saddle (ISM-type) at -5cm, and take the reach exemption. Even someone as short as Ruth Winder gets the reach exemption. There are ways to help with reach:

1. As someone mentioned, using electronic shifting helps greatly.
2. Tilting the arm pads and extensions shortens the reach. 10cm is virtually perfect for everyone aerodynamically if you use an s-bend type extension to get the tip of the extension lower (the only time I would recommend that shape).

Someone mentioned the seat needing to be level. Not true...you get as much as 10 degrees of tilt, though if you need that much, something is wrong.

TT is not about being comfortable. It's about being powerful and aero. All of the above is very general. Each athlete must find what works best for him/her.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having just done the age group worlds in tt, the saddle level thing can be a real issue - mainly as they put a spirit level across the whole thing (and few saddles are actually flat). That allowed 10 degrees is very easy to break as the rear of many saddles slopes upwards.

I can echo the thoughts on jigs too. We had two at worlds and riders were passing on one and then failing on the other. It was typical uci comedy.

E-tap is a must. I got pinged for the 10cm shifter height rule and then for the length when I was using a campag shifter. That cost me huge amounts of reach to compensate.
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Before giving you any advice, I'd want to know what seat you're on.

I was on a Sitero last year, had massive saddle sore issues. I switched to a Spec. Power, and have had no such problems this year.

But, for virtually everyone of our TT'rs, we place the saddle (ISM-type) at -5cm, and take the reach exemption. Even someone as short as Ruth Winder gets the reach exemption. There are ways to help with reach:

1. As someone mentioned, using electronic shifting helps greatly.

Would Just buy a new bike with DI2

2. Tilting the arm pads and extensions shortens the reach. 10cm is virtually perfect for everyone aerodynamically if you use an s-bend type extension to get the tip of the extension lower (the only time I would recommend that shape).

Someone mentioned the seat needing to be level. Not true...you get as much as 10 degrees of tilt, though if you need that much, something is wrong.

TT is not about being comfortable. It's about being powerful and aero. All of the above is very general. Each athlete must find what works best for him/her.
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
Having just done the age group worlds in tt, the saddle level thing can be a real issue - mainly as they put a spirit level across the whole thing (and few saddles are actually flat). That allowed 10 degrees is very easy to break as the rear of many saddles slopes upwards.

My experience too.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely race TTs anymore, but the last time I did a provincially sanctioned stage race (Ontario), we all got jig tested before the TT (it was a dumb set-up too, you couldn't get checked until 15min before your start time, and the parking lot was 2-3min ride away if you needed to go grab something to make adjustments... many people were late starters because of issues with their set-up, and not verifying things up front). I would assume at Nationals you're likely going to get checked against a jig.

At least for Tri the jigs are fairly consistent, since the ITU has standard plans from which a jig should be built (assuming of course the race is in a jurisdiction following ITU rules, and they use the correct jig AG vs. elite, since the position rules are different).
Quote Reply
Re: Making my position UCI legal. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.

I adjusted my seat today, and have that at UCI compliant position. I will work on the front end over the next few rides, slowly moving everything back.

I did a hard 40km at lunch today, and spent some time riding with my hands where they would be at max reach, and it was not that bad. Should be able to get to UCI compliant with minimal loss in speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in Ontario? Pretty much every TT in Ontario is going to have Ontario Cycling officials there with the jig (club tt's excepted of course) and there is zero leeway on the saddle and reach measurements (definitely to the tip/arc). I've seen them more relaxed on measuring the 10 cm rise from pads to shifter, taking the measurement with shifter in the horizontal position. Otherwise I'd be screwed. But seriously, the only time my TT shifter is above the horizontal is when I'm in the largest cogs and that's not happening when in aero tuck.

If your bike has a rear wheel cutout with horizontal drop outs make sure you can fit a credit card between the wheel and the seat tube. Saw a guy get dinged for this on a P3C this summer 10 min before his start (3 minute ride back to the parking lot for a very fast adjustment, made it back about 10 seconds into his run already.

If an official really wants to nit pick, they can apply the 3:1 ratio to the aero bar which would probably toss out half the bikes in an ironman transition. They changed the rules on frames last year but I think it still applies to bars. That's one that I've never seen called though.

Definitely a massive advantage to running electronic shifting. Between that and not allowing disk covers that can add huge costs to anyone trying to maximize performance. Drives a lot of people away from competing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next