Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Machining Zipp hubs
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had their Zipp 10sp hub machined so they can run 11sp? How is it holding up? I am looking at getting Etap for my 08 P3C and don't want to spring for a new wheel. Would rather go this route than the other options. Race only wheel so won't get a ton of use.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat recently. Search the forum here, someone did it. To test the strength out, they took the cassette on and off and the freehub broke after this repeated on/off. Even though this is a one off, the fact that it could cause a nasty crash due to the freehub breaking, I opted against even attempting it and bought an 11 speed wheel.

I will say, the machinist in me said lets do it. The engineer in me said, eh that seems a little weak. (ex UAW tool and die maker, degreed engineer)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Has anyone had their Zipp 10sp hub machined so they can run 11sp? How is it holding up? I am looking at getting Etap for my 08 P3C and don't want to spring for a new wheel. Would rather go this route than the other options. Race only wheel so won't get a ton of use.

Here are 2 additional options for you to consider:
1: There's an eBay seller that sells free hubs that accommodate a Shimano 11s cassette. They are, of course, not officially approved by Zipp. My suspicion is that while it will work almost all of the time, there might be a combination of frame + smallest cog that does not work, so Zipp probably did not want to undertake a project like this. (For those with sinister thoughts, lack of availability of a conversion freehub directly from Zipp would mean that some riders would feel compelled to buy a completely new rear wheel.)

I purchased one of these and used it without problem and know a number of other people who have done the same.

If memory serves, they are ~$100 and arrive pretty quickly from Taiwan.

2: Buy a Campy freehub, which allows one to use a Campy 11s cassette, and run that. The Campy 11s cassette spacing is perfectly compatible with Shimano 11s, but Campy cassettes are typically a little heavier for a given price or a little more expensive for one of comparable weight to the Shimano.

I've also done this, and it shifts perfectly. If you swap between this wheel and one with native Shimano 11s, you might find you have to adjust the RD a hair when you make the switch; if you are not swapping wheels, there are no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp sell a conversion kit that contains a new axle, new freehub and left side endcap.
Wheel requires redishing after fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Zipp sell a conversion kit that contains a new axle, new freehub and left side endcap.

What about an older 8/9/10 speed disk?

(Sorry to treat you as Zipp's customer service, but since you seem to be familiar with the issue I thought I'd ask.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

That kit only works with certain model hubs, as I understand. The 101 is not among them.

Love to be proven wrong here, but in converting a bunch of Zipp wheels the only possibilities for the 101 that I ever found were the 2 mentioned above.
Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

What about an older 8/9/10 speed disk?

(Sorry to treat you as Zipp's customer service, but since you seem to be familiar with the issue I thought I'd ask.)

Andy,
The older discs were not officially convertible. However, I think that the conversion hub (unofficial) will work for you (Is want to verify compatibility of your exact hub with it).

Also, the Campy casette method I described should work--you just need to swap to a Campy free hub (an official Zipp one), which takes about a minute once you have it in hand. Campy and Shimano 11s cassettes are indistinguishable, even with Shimano rear shifter and derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.zipp.com/...b1ljekywtx1la5ujdn7h

Depends on your disc.
All 188 disc and spoked wheels are straight conversions.
Everything else is a fudge.

For 20 spoke 10 speed pre188 hubs, the current Zipp 30/60 hubs will do it properly for cheap.
Otherwise 20 spoke dura-ace hubs from broken wheels swap in well. Plenty of those wrecked their rims.
Running joke in the industry is that Shimano wheels all come in square boxes as they all end up that way anyways.
101 uses 188 hub so a straight conversion will work for it.

http://zipp.com/wheels/101-clincher/#
Last edited by: lyrrad: Apr 16, 17 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
http://www.zipp.com/...b1ljekywtx1la5ujdn7h

Depends on your disc.
All 188 disc and spoked wheels are straight conversions.
Everything else is a fudge.

For 20 spoke 10 speed pre188 hubs, the current Zipp 30/60 hubs will do it properly for cheap.
Otherwise 20 spoke dura-ace hubs from broken wheels swap in well. Plenty of those wrecked their rims.
Running joke in the industry is that Shimano wheels all come in square boxes as they all end up that way anyways.
101 uses 188 hub so a straight conversion will work for it.

http://zipp.com/wheels/101-clincher/#

Replacing a hub is beyond the ability of most amateur mechanics. Taking that project to a shop will generally mean they want to sell a new hub and replace all spokes + labor. Not to mention one has to find a 20-spoke rear hub (not easy for everyone). This of course doesn't help with a disc.

The Zipp Campy freehub solution isn't a kludge. It is official and the shifting works perfectly.

This is fine for the Zipp 101 for sure and it sounds like one would work for Andy's disc as well.

It's also a fast, trivial fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

The wheel in question is a 2011 Zipp Firecrest 404. I assume it will work for this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

The wheel in question is a 2011 Zipp Firecrest 404. I assume it will work for this?

Officially Zipp only supports the conversion kit for rear hubs made after October 2011 in the Firecrest series. These hubs have the NDS bearing moved outboard so the shell is wider and won't work directly with their conversion axle/freehub kit. But you can add the kit to the narrower hub shell using spacers and it will work fine if you can get the kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the 11sp cassette that has the extra 1.8mm or so machined out to fit a 10sp freehub.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
What about the 11sp cassette that has the extra 1.8mm or so machined out to fit a 10sp freehub.

I've done this on a couple bikes and it works great. There is a vendor (Lasco Concept in Canada) that sells Shimano and SRAM cassettes already machined. I luckily have access to a lathe at work and it took no time.

-Mike

Vertex Fit Systems (http://www.vertexfitsystems.com) | Bikeworks (http://www.bikeworksma.com) | Russo Racing (http://www.r2tri.com)
Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:

Was trying to go at it from the freehub so wouldn't have to worry about machining multiple cassettes. Looks like the campag fix would be the easiest.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
campag cassettes are bloody expensive and you will also need to swap the freehub body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Machining 10s zipp freehubs so they can now fit larger 11s speed cassettes is, for a number of reasons, not a good idea.

There are lots of ideas in this thread, but there are also two super easy solutions out there that can convert 10s wheels to 11s that work great and they cost either: nothing or not a lot. What are they? We have explained them here on one of our blog pages:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Hope that helps,

Greg @ dsw
(fyi, there is no financial incentive in this for us, we have just tested these methods are sharing them to pay it forward.)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you just wait until those hubs are inevitably recalled and then replaced with upgraded 11 sp hubs for free?
Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Can you just wait until those hubs are inevitably recalled and then replaced with upgraded 11 sp hubs for free?

Where's my like button 😜

Quote Reply
Re: Machining Zipp hubs [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Yes, I have heard this, but is this really gonna happen any time in the next decade?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply