Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed?
Quote | Reply
I recall Macca saying he had issues in Kona a few years ago…..paraphrasing, he said he went with some cutting edge components whose reliability did not equal the gain he should have received from the (faster, lighter, whatever) component. What was it??
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
I recall Macca saying he had issues in Kona a few years ago…..paraphrasing, he said he went with some cutting edge components whose reliability did not equal the gain he should have received from the (faster, lighter, whatever) component. What was it??

I believe his brake cable snapped. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Was either that or a shifter cable :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shifter cable I think.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks gents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He claimed a shifter cable broke.
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello mdtrinhard and All,

Which begs the question: When will SRAM or ??? have their 'no cable' radio/electric shifting automatic transmission available?

http://www.bikerumor.com/...untain-bike-designs/

http://road.cc/...ic-groupset-wireless

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a shifter cable. But Al Trautwig, the NBC commentator, indicated it was a brake cable in the broadcast.

Slowtwitch outrage followed.
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> When will SRAM or ??? have their 'no cable' radio/electric shifting automatic transmission available?

Since it already looks pretty polished, I'm guessing/hoping Sea Otter 2015.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front shifter cable. And then - since you can actually big ring the entire Kona course - neutral support apparently stripped the limit screw trying to lock the FD into the big ring position. If you want to use limit screws to fix a derailleur in position if a cable snaps, remember to move the derailleur into position before you start adjusting the limit screw; try not to make limit screw adjustments (other than very minor ones) with tension on the derailleur.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Front shifter cable. And then - since you can actually big ring the entire Kona course - neutral support apparently stripped the limit screw trying to lock the FD into the big ring position. If you want to use limit screws to fix a derailleur in position if a cable snaps, remember to move the derailleur into position before you start adjusting the limit screw; try not to make limit screw adjustments (other than very minor ones) with tension on the derailleur.

I was thinking about this. Someone should make some bolts that you can use on a crankset to only place a big chainring on there. For a lot of pros, that small ring on many courses is useless. I suppose you want a front derailleur in case you drop the chain (it can still happen), or you could just ride without the FD and if you drop the chain, you have to use your finger to lean over and pick it up...aero savings?
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Great tip.

Given the choice between grinding up hills at 65RPM with a 52T vs. having a top speed of 29-30mph with a 39-11.... I think I'd take the top speed limit.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:

his legs

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

his legs

Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Someone should make some bolts that you can use on a crankset to only place a big chainring on there. "
-----------------------------
25 years or so ago there was a guy making bikes just as you describe in Florida. They were very steep angled single chain ring (no FD) tri bikes and I believe they had only aero bars w/ no drops/horns al la Natasha. He claimed, probably correctly, that for most races in that part of the world you didn't need the extra weight or complications.
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His desire...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
. Someone should make some bolts that you can use on a crankset to only place a big chainring on there. For a lot of pros, that small ring on many courses is useless. I suppose you want a front derailleur in case you drop the chain (it can still happen), or you could just ride without the FD and if you drop the chain, you have to use your finger to lean over and pick it up...aero savings?

You can get single ring chain bolts anywhere. On Ebay you can get them in any color you want. Here they are in red:

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item1c431a7876

There are also chainkeepers available for 1 x 9,10,11 set-ups

https://www.google.com/...hain+keeper+for+1x10

Much safer than sticking you fingers in there and getting one caught between the chain, the ring and the spokes. Yikes!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It didn't really matter that day. He wasn't in the hunt.
Quote Reply
Re: Macca Mechanical In Kona…what part failed? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
> When will SRAM or ??? have their 'no cable' radio/electric shifting automatic transmission available?

Since it already looks pretty polished, I'm guessing/hoping Sea Otter 2015.

Cool, as soon as they do this I'm getting some hacker kid to crack the protocol and the encryption then I'm making a small transmitting device that I can use to put everyone in my age group on 39/25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His balls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
NeverEnough wrote:

his legs

Exactly right.
Quote Reply