Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MR Neurography some type of MRI nerve study
Quote | Reply

Due to my ongoing low back pain issue I went to the UCLA spine center today and although the neurosurgeon said there was a couple of minor issues with my back that he could see from the regular MRI he said he wants to conduct a MR Neurography which apparently is like an MRI of the nerves. I have not heard of this before and it sounds exciting that it may possible see more as to what is causing me all the nerve pain in my low back and groin area.

I was just wondering has anyone else out there had one and did you get favorable results such as actually finding out what was causing your pain etc. Cheers LA Rob
Quote Reply
Re: MR Neurography some type of MRI nerve study [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to hear how this works out. I don't have any info on it though.
Quote Reply
Re: MR Neurography some type of MRI nerve study [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will let you know for sure as after speaking with the two doctors at the spine clinic they said a lot of pain can be attributed in the low back and groin to nerve entrapment and not always just disk issues and they said the best way to see it is with the MR Neurography, it is obviously something not too common as when I called UCLA radiology in Westwood to schedule the appointment I was told they had to consult with their radiology team for the protocols and timing etc. as to when it can be done, so it must not be some simple slide in the MRI tube and go!! Cheers LA Rob
Quote Reply
Re: MR Neurography some type of MRI nerve study [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious what they can see in this procedure that they can't see in the regular MRI.
Quote Reply
Re: MR Neurography some type of MRI nerve study [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it'll give a clear picture of the nerves themselves. a traditional MRI, much like what the OP has already had, will show the general outline, but a MRI neuograph will show swelling,pinch, or compression that could be cause of pain.

I'm not clinical so that is the limit of my understanding.
Quote Reply
Re: MR Neurography some type of MRI nerve study [RDL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RDL wrote:
it'll give a clear picture of the nerves themselves. a traditional MRI, much like what the OP has already had, will show the general outline, but a MRI neuograph will show swelling,pinch, or compression that could be cause of pain.

I assume this technology is only available in some specialized clinics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RDL wrote:

Thanks, I just spent some time speed reading how it works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/...esonance_neurography

Makes sense...my masters thesis was in signal processing algorithms that could be applied to a variety of imaging techniques...mine was applied to airborne imaging radar since I was in the air force at the time, but I find this stuff much more interesting (and at the moment I have a personal interest depending on what can be seen or not in an upcoming MRI). Maybe I should go over to Sand Hill Drive in Palo Alto and come up with a startup plan that will make these small-portable-cheap :-). I am sure there is way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're more likely to see the option provided in large facilities, or academic medical centers. I am in a smaller facility but with a stroke center and emphasis of neurology. It doesn't take special equipment, I'm pretty sure it uses the same coils. but its a software/set up for the scan and the corresponding radiologist read that make the difference.

I am a hospital administrator, so I only know the differences as explained to me from our clinical team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my appointment sorted it will be with UCLA advanced radiology lab in Westwood. I have been there before for an MRV of my IVC when it was damaged so it is more of a specialized lab for sure not the usual MRI facilities (the MRV was too look at my vascular system only, it was a very lengthy MRI procedure with lots of fancy equipment they strapped on to me). I got to know some of their top doctors there who also do a lot of the reading of the scan's one in particular is quite the expert I believe, as many times that is the problem even with a typical MRI it is how good it is interpreted, that is why I liked the neurosurgeon I saw at UCLA who didn't read the report I had but looked at the MRI film himself to help determine the issues.

I am really hoping this scan will help the doctors to help solve my back pain and nerve issues and I will certainly post any information I get that maybe helpful to anyone suffering back issues, as a lot of people who have been active for many years and have back issues it is not always just a disk issue even though it may show a rupture. I guess I am just fortunate that I didn't go for the recommended disk surgery a local doctor wanted to do but I found an expert at UCLA who has a different opinion hopefully he will be able to figure it out with the aid of the scan. Cheers LA Rob
Last edited by: hercules: Feb 5, 16 12:31
Quote Reply