Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MRI quality question
Quote | Reply
I've been dealing w an intermittent ankle problem for almost 2 years. Been through so many podiatrists and finally found an ortho who cares and wants to help. He is an athlete and understands me. He said my MRI was poor quality and asked if I could get a new one. he said the one I had was a lower number on the imaging scale and the one he suggested is 3 quality. I suppose that is better imaging. Anyhow, it stinks that I have to fork out the cash AGAIN, but I'm willing to do it per his request.He said he would be willing to scope it if I decide I want to. Anyhow I find it strange the other orthos didn't suggest another MRI. the first ortho told me that maybe I should give it up, the second said he just didn't know and the third gave me some rub to try. I felt very comfortable with this ortho and he was referred to me by several athletes.

Anyhow, I was wandering if anyone has ever had a better MRI a second time and had an issue show up?
Last edited by: seadocha: May 27, 15 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: MRI quality question [seadocha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your symptoms? What was the original injury?
Quote Reply
Re: MRI quality question [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have sharp pains in three areas. They feel like sprain pains when it happens. I had a modified brostrum and "supposed" peroneal repair in 2012. 10 months after I started getting intermittent sharp pains. I've done every treatment that exists ( I think). This is the second doc that has questionned the first surgeon's repair on the peroneal repair too. I've always thought it was a peroneal issue, but one doc said it could be synovitis. It's been going on since Aug 2013. It kinda feels like an impingement to me after reading up. The docs can never re create the pain in their office either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you have the first MRI done? Hospital or imaging center? Do you know any of the specifications of the equipment?

Was this ortho referring you to a specific MRI facility? Does he have an ownership in said facility?

Any MRI built in the last 20 years is capable of very similar quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your doc is likely referring to the strength of the magnetic field in the MRI scanner. The stronger the field (measured in Tesla or T), the higher the resolution of the imaging. Presently, outside of research applications, 3T machines are the highest field. If the original scan was done in an older generation scanner with a weaker magnetic field, then the new scan may be able to reveal details not previously seen.

denial - it's not just a river in Egypt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's probably asking about the strength of the magnet. They range from .7 Tesla to 3 Tesla. It sounds
like yours was on a 1T. You can get decent images on a 1T, but your imaging protocols are longer.

With 3T you get higher res images and a quicker imaging time. There's more to it than that. Just
a small explanation.

I would reach out to the imaging facility to repeat if they have a stronger MRI or ask for a refund.

Hope it works out for you.
Quote Reply
Re: MRI quality question [gaaugustine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have decent insurance/ what is your out of pocket cost?

Sounds like this new doctor has good intentions with your injury. Having had previous work done probably means you warrant as close a look as they can get.

I don't know much of MRI technology, but the Tesla ratings kinda make sense to this biologist.

I've been in the tube about a dozen times over the last 20 years for various body parts. I've long had very good insurance and the costs have gone from about $1500 to $300 over that time. My out of pocket has gone from about $300 to about $50. Every time worth it. The time lengths of the scans has also come down greatly as well.

If the cost to you is no more than a dinner or so, that would be an easy spend forme to get more info on my injury.
Quote Reply