Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
M&Ms as nutrition
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever use M&Ms as racing nutrition. I figure they are easy access via the bento and easy to grab one or two while riding. I've done well on Resses peanut butter cups and PayDay but they are a PITA do unwrap while riding. Oh and M&Ms are delicious.. Peanut and Peanut butter mix is what I might attempt. Melt in your mouth not in your hands..
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:
Anyone ever use M&Ms as racing nutrition. I figure they are easy access via the bento and easy to grab one or two while riding. I've done well on Resses peanut butter cups and PayDay but they are a PITA do unwrap while riding. Oh and M&Ms are delicious.. Peanut and Peanut butter mix is what I might attempt. Melt in your mouth not in your hands..

Thinking portions would be an issue. Firstly can you pack enough for the whole race and second you won't know exactly how much you're consuming. And also I can imagine them all just spilling out.
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 peanutbutter M&Ms have 220 calories. I have a some what large bento box on my speed concept so I don't see not having enough room or spilling them all over would be to much of an issue, unless of course I crash or something. I think I would keep them in a small loose baggy within the bento box. also I could refill at the bike special needs half way..
Last edited by: YO mortaaay: Oct 23, 14 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could probably use a saltstick dispenser to prevent them from spilling.

I usually carry some kind of peanut butter energy bar instead, pre cut it in smaller pieces and just stuff it in the stealth pouch, unwrapped.

When I come back to transition after the race there are usually 200 bees buzzing around my bike. Pouch gets a through wash after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great idea to me. You can measure out the portions ahead of time so you know how many calories. Sounds a lot more fun than 8 million gels.
I always found a twix bar at mile 80 of the IM bike ride to be a little slice of heaven and a great pick me up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense to me. When the sugar window is open eat whatever you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:
8 peanutbutter M&Ms have 220 calories. I have a some what large bento box on my speed concept so I don't see not having enough room or spilling them all over would be to much of an issue, unless of course I crash or something. I think I would keep them in a small loose baggy within the bento box. also I could refill at the bike special needs half way..

Are these the normal small ones? Didn't realize they had so many calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, normal M&Ms I was surprised by the calorie count myself.. I eat these like crazy ugh, maybe that's why I can't loose the gut
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:

Hmmm, that's interesting. 8 M&M is probably fairly low volume, so you could pack a truckload in the box... I gotta try that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:
yeah, normal M&Ms I was surprised by the calorie count myself.. I eat these like crazy ugh, maybe that's why I can't loose the gut

Nah, can't be!

In that case as long as you test them out and see they're not causing any issues in training then I guess why not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:

In the interest of science I just went and bought a pack of peanut butter M&Ms. Calore count for one package (1.63 oz) is 240 cals and there are 29 M&Ms in the package.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was mistaken, it isn't per 8 M&Ms it is per severing which is 1.5 oz

There are 8 servings in the package i'm currently eating.. that's what I messed up..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:

I think you were given bad info here -- but that's good news, as you can eat a lot more and get the same number of calories! (Then again, maybe it's bad news as you need somewhere to store them all when riding.) As someone who has lost fair amount of weight by logging my food, I am all too aware with m&m calorie info. The normal-sized peanut butter version has about 11 calories per m&m, so that means 22 of them for 220 calories. (See here for the data). Peanut m&ms are similar (about 10 calories per), and regular ones have far fewer calories (about 4 calories per).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever works :) I carry a mix of gummy candies (Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Berries, etc...) as I can eat them forever. When I did IMLP I carried Snickers and cut the end off the package but they melted at it was messy. But still delicious.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could not help but laugh when I thought about these dropping on the ground, just the sound would make me laugh. Good thing is someone can follow you like Hansel and Gretel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that mini-M&Ms would pack in tighter with less airspace (more efficient use of space) and you could just carry them in those mini-M&M dispensers they already sell them in? Pop the top and knock back a mouthful on occasion?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only difference between 'sports nutrition' and candy is the packaging. I see no issue with them. I was looking at making some peanut-butter, oatmeal, M&M cookies for my rides until I realized they would never make it out the door.

Maybe that's why sports nutrition is better - it doesn't taste good enough to snack on!

---
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Sutton is a big fan of candy bars. Mentioned that kids eat these all the time and do not get sick. Problem is here in Texas things tend to melt in the heat.

Those mini M&M tubes are awesome, also useful to carry pills during a race once you empty them.
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i prefer gummy candies to chocolate myself, to each his own. i would rather have an aero version of the licorice dispenser from wayne's world

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gets way too hot where i live to have anything that melts as nutrition on the bike. i did pick up a bunch of peeps earlier in the year after easter and used those on the bike for a good dose of sugar.
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
i prefer gummy candies to chocolate myself, to each his own. i would rather have an aero version of the licorice dispenser from wayne's world

You could probably just let an inch of it out of the bento box and unroll as needed :) Or just roll it around the handlebars/aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next year I intend to use Strawberry TWIZZLERS instead of Shot bloks.

Serving Size: 4 Pieces Total Calories160
40 cals per strip.

Kosher Status: OU
Serving Size: 4 Pieces
Total Calories160
Calories from Fat 5
Last edited by: imsparticus: Oct 23, 14 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As one's sole race nutrition, the fat content would be way too high to be optimal. M&Ms are ~ 37% fat calories and that much fat would slow stomach emptying, digestion and absorption. Your body already has plenty of fat for just about any race imaginable. It's carbs that we will run short on. That said, as a small treat during a race they might be quite wonderful and as fuel during a low intensity long ride they should be usable as well.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Oct 23, 14 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you train with them, especially bricks. Had a buddy who used Twizzlers for IMMOO, but no bricks. Found out that licorice can be a laxative for some people.
Made for an interesting run for him.
I miss Powerbar Powerbites, but have made my own by breaking a bar into 6 pieces, rolling in a little raw oatmeal, freezing and into the bento race morning. 2 bites every 30 minutes was 80 calories.

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Last edited by: mxblues98: Oct 23, 14 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pez.....pez dispenser see jerry Seinfeld for choices :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next