Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen
Quote | Reply
I'm getting ready to book flights for my trip to the Nordic Countries during the summer. I will be flying to Helsinki, and driving or taking ferries to Sweden and Denmark, and hopping on a flight in Copenhagen for the return home.

Most of the flights are with Lufthansa, British Airways, Air France, or a small number of KLM, SAS, or Finnair flights... either directly through those airlines or they're the partner for domestic carriers. The vast majority were the three mentioned in my subject title. Prices are similar for economy seating.

I have status with United and I like to book economy plus seats for longer trips. United uses Lufthansa to fly into Helsinki and out of Copenhagen. Prices for economy plus level seats on Lufthansa/United were a couple hundred dollars less per ticket (and I need three tickets) than Air France or British Airways. Which might answer my own question.

United's international bike fee sucks it though ($200 each way). Looks like Air France is $150 each way and British Airways looks to be part of your baggage allowance assuming it falls under a certain size and weight, which a bike case probably doesn't. Let's just call the bike fees a negligible difference between the three.

What are your opinions and experiences on those three carriers?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not clear where your flying from.

I'm doing the Multisport Worlds in Denmark in July and I am flying Delta from Boston to Amsterdam to Copenhagen. I flew to Worlds in Rotterdam last September on Delta from Boston to Copenhagen. I had no issues with the flights. But, I wasn't in the cattle-car cabin.
Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flying from Houston.

Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go with Lufthansa or British Airways.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lufthansa, I fly from US to Europe monthly always fly lufthansa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always fly with Icelandair when I am going to Norway.
And I will use it again in a week.
Last time I had a bike with me I paid $50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard tonight that British Airways does not have wireless internet if that is important to you. I have had good experiences on both British and Lufthansa.
Last edited by: toastygloveman: Feb 1, 18 19:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done been to those destinations but have flown Lufthansa many times with bike to Europe from Houston. I've never been unhappy. More often than not also I don't get charged the bike fee on the way back.
Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Haven't done been to those destinations but have flown Lufthansa many times with bike to Europe from Houston. I've never been unhappy. More often than not also I don't get charged the bike fee on the way back.

Did you buy the tickets through Lufthansa or United? United seems to be cheaper for the exact same flight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always book through United - usually a bit cheaper and simpler on the mileage account.

PRO TIP: You won't be able to select seats on the United website for any Lufthansa operated segments. No fear though. Immediately head over to the Lufthansa website with their confirmation code (usually in smaller print on your United itinerary) and you'll be able to select seats.
Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

United's international bike fee sucks it though ($200 each way). Looks like Air France is $150 each way and British Airways looks to be part of your baggage allowance assuming it falls under a certain size and weight, which a bike case probably doesn't. Let's just call the bike fees a negligible difference between the three.

What are your opinions and experiences on those three carriers?

Of those three, BA.

You can take a bike bag or box as checked luggage on BA provided it is under 23kg. Only problem is that in economy you are only allowed one piece of hold luggage...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm French. so I'm biased. Fuck Air France, they're useless. And chances are they'll be on strike when the others aren't.

Flew Lufthansa last year and they were great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BA - the 23kg limit is usually plenty for me travelling with a bike bag, often packed with a few "extras" (i.e. wetsuit, track pump, race nutrition, running shoes, bike shoes - you get the idea!)

I've never had an issue with the weight limit when travelling for a race.

The only downside is that if you're going for a longer trip you may struggle to fit everything else into carry on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lufthansa by far the preferred choice for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll just add that I've flown both BA and Lufthansa 20+ times each (though never with a bike), and have had far more issues on BA flights. I've also had far more issues at Heathrow than Frankfurt airport. Good luck, sounds like an awesome trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:

Of those three, BA.

You can take a bike bag or box as checked luggage on BA provided it is under 23kg. Only problem is that in economy you are only allowed one piece of hold luggage...

Indeed!

Ive booked my flights with BA (Heathrow to Munich for Roth) and experience says I needed to pay for extra piece of luggage for the bike box. It's £120 extra (return) Not the best deal I've ever purchased.

I'm also concerned that BA seem to be cutting costs/service. So no snack on short haul unless you pay for it (and it's Marks & Spencer so it will cost accordingly)

Id never fly with Air France, so if the OP gets a deal with Lufthansa I'd suggest them on cost basis alone. Plus Lufthansa have cockpit videos on YouTube and I love watching those!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would avoid Air France if possible they regularly go on strike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Lufthansa! Used them for IM Austria a few years ago and they were terrible about the bike. Used BA before and they were cool - no experience of air France. But please - not Lufthansa with a bike box.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

Of those three, BA.

Indeed!

Ive booked my flights with BA (Heathrow to Munich for Roth) and experience says I needed to pay for extra piece of luggage for the bike box. It's £120 extra (return) Not the best deal I've ever purchased.

I'm also concerned that BA seem to be cutting costs/service. So no snack on short haul unless you pay for it (and it's Marks & Spencer so it will cost accordingly)

Id never fly with Air France, so if the OP gets a deal with Lufthansa I'd suggest them on cost basis alone. Plus Lufthansa have cockpit videos on YouTube and I love watching those!

For shorthaul trips on BA with a bike you are better off paying for Club Europe IME. The baggage allowance is better (two pieces at 23kg each iirc), you get shorter check in lines at the dedicated desks, priority terminals through security, lounge access, priority boarding, BAEC points (if that’s your thing) and free real food and booze and slightly more space on board. The price is usually only marginally more than economy with the additional baggage charges.
Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:

For shorthaul trips on BA with a bike you are better off paying for Club Europe IME. The baggage allowance is better (two pieces at 23kg each iirc), you get shorter check in lines at the dedicated desks, priority terminals through security, lounge access, priority boarding, BAEC points (if that’s your thing) and free real food and booze and slightly more space on board. The price is usually only marginally more than economy with the additional baggage charges.

Just had a look its 2 x 32kg!

Bit late now, I'm not going to waste time unpicking our economy seats and extra baggage and car hire. Price difference is roughly £70 each way if you are relatively flexible on departure times. It gets 3 times more expensive for a few times around lunchtime.

But thanks for the tip, I'll consider it next time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about KLM? Lots of KLM flights popping up. I know Air France and KLM are one company now, so there will be similarities and differences.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work for a Danish company, we always fly SAS economy plus. Pretty sure bikes are either free or minimal charge with them, for whatever that is worth.

The SAS lounge leaving Copenhagen is a very nice start to the flight back home if you have a morning flight. Grab a nice little brunch before heading out.

Not sure you can get SAS out of that part of the US, we usually fly connections to Dulles or somewhere in NY.
Quote Reply
Re: Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France for flight to/from Helsinki/Copenhagen [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am at schipol right now on return leg of AF flight

AF out was not great. Whole thing but mediocre but what completely pissed me off was 10 hours of just awful films

KLM. Really impressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to revise some of my vacation due to my wife's work commitments, which is going to leave Jonkoping 70.3 out of the mix because we need to be home by July 8th.

We are either starting the trip in Stockholm or Copenhagen, with the middle part in Helsinki as the Finland 70.3 is on June 30th. Basically five days in each country. We haven't decided whether we are hitting Copenhagen or Stockholm first. So it's flight to Stockholm, ferry to Helsinki, flight to Copenhagen, flight home or flight to Copenhagen, flight to Helsinki, ferry to Stockholm, flight home. I'm open to suggestions as to which city to tackle first... keeping in mind that I need to race at the end of that first week so I'd like to not be too fat, drunk, and stupid on week one. :-)

Either way the trip starts and ends it looks like KLM has the best prices and flights. 787 Dreamliner from Houston to Amsterdam as an added bonus.

Quote Reply

Prev Next