Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lowest profile 25mm tires
Quote | Reply
Just picked up a Giant Propel and put my carbon clinchers on it. The 25mm michelins pro 4's don't clear the cable on the rear brake when the brake is fully engage. The cable will slightly rub on the tire.
Has anyone dealt with this? I would rather not go down to 23mm tires on the wide rims.
Any tire suggestions?
Thanks!

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest profile 25mm tires [psychosyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've dealt with this issue on my older S5... "tall" tires like Continental rubbed the cutout on the seat stay.

I found that the lowest profile tires are "open tubulars" like Specialized Turbo Cotton or Vittoria Corsa... these are round tires and not "vulcanized" like Continental and others.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest profile 25mm tires [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy the cheaper version of the Fouriers brakes. They make a bling set and a set that's like $125. Done, fits all 25mm tires.

I wouldn't sacrifice the tire you want to run.

If you haven't already, if you own a Propel with a still stock Giant saddle......get a lighter aftermarket one. It weighs a metric sh!% ton compared to something like a Fizik R3 and didn't fit my rear-end anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest profile 25mm tires [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle was gone instantly. Need my Toupe. :>
Hmm. Ok. I will look into the brakes. So the cheaper version fits better?
Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found this to be a constant irritation on the propel. Don't want to have to buy another set of brakes that may or may not have more clearance.

The only 25 mm tires that didn't fit were some Vittoria Tubulars. But I like to ride 28 mms and the bike has the clearance, only the brakes were the problem.

Mechanics won't like it, but I bent a little kink in the cable above the highest point of the tires. Gives a few extra mm of clearance and I don't notice any effect on braking performance. Now I can fit most 28 mms on the rear.

btw, these brakes need quite a lot of preventive maintenance. The rear picks up a lot of crud so one needs to pull and regrease the bushings very few months. Also, the stock TRP pads are lousy, replacing with koolstop or swissstop improved performance immensely, went from poor to acceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest profile 25mm tires [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I tried the kinking the cable thing. It didn't really work. Still had a very slight rub. So slight that once the tire wears it will probably not rub. But I don't like thinking about it. Just found that fouriers rear on amazon for $70 so I think I will give it a go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Taller" tires (e.g. the GP4000SII) are likely more aero. You ride an aero bike so you likely care about aero.

Consider not getting hung up by 23 or 25 or whatever number is printed on the tire casing. There is no standard for this, and I have laid flat various "23" and "25" tires and have found there are some 23 tires that are actually wider than 25s from another manufacturer. Moreover, you say you are running wide rims. Wide rims will widen your tire. On my Bontrager Aeolus TLR wheels, a "23" Schwalbe Pro One measures 26.x mm across. So it really depends on the specific tire as well as the rim you are mounting them on.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply