Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Louisville and Muskoka 2016 race Kona slots
Quote | Reply
Seems like the Muskoka website for 2016 says 50 slots for Kona 2016 (same year). I THINK this is a cut and paste error, but will confirm by contacting the organizers.

Louisville 2016 says 50 slots for Kona 2017. Barcelona and Mallorca say 40 slots. Wales, Chattanooga and Wisconsin don't offer a hard number yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville and Muskoka 2016 race Kona slots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do find out if this is a cut and paste error, please report back. I'm looking into Muskoka for 2016, and by a stroke of luck I get a Kona slot, I'd rather have 14 months to plan that trip rather than 2.

My other consideration is Wisconsin, which will sell out at some point soon. But with the addition of so many more east coast IM's, it looks like it's no longer an instant sale out.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville and Muskoka 2016 race Kona slots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been watching this on the Lou website. Previously read that the race would offer 5o slots for Kona 2016 yesterday, and was updated to read 50 slots for Kona 2017 today. Considering people are basing their decision to register on this, I think it will have to be honored. I took a screenshot just in case....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I would say Muskoka is a 2017 KQ. I think the cut off moved to basically 3rd week in August.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm. Please let us know what the organizers response is.

devashish_paul wrote:
Seems like the Muskoka website for 2016 says 50 slots for Kona 2016 (same year). I THINK this is a cut and paste error, but will confirm by contacting the organizers.

Louisville 2016 says 50 slots for Kona 2017. Barcelona and Mallorca say 40 slots. Wales, Chattanooga and Wisconsin don't offer a hard number yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please keep us posted. I have this one on my radar. I imagine LOU will sell out more quickly just because people like the temps and the fact that the swim is double handicapped (wetsuit and downstream).

Jamie
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville and Muskoka 2016 race Kona slots [k89533720] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we have plenty of time to get you in shape for either!!!! Let's see if they confirm on Muskoka.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whistler 2016 used to say 50 slots for Kona 2016 but it's since been revised to 40. I imagine the others will follow suit. Pretty bummed as the 50 slots were a selling point to get me sign up for Whistler.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville and Muskoka 2016 race Kona slots [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
Whistler 2016 used to say 50 slots for Kona 2016 but it's since been revised to 40. I imagine the others will follow suit. Pretty bummed as the 50 slots were a selling point to get me sign up for Whistler.

I just got confirmation that Muskoka will be 40 slots.

To some degree, I prefer that all races are 40 slots other than Championship events. At least then it is consistent, even though I would personally be penalized as 50-54 will generally lose a slot in this scheme, but that's fine if it is consistent. A little hope goes a long way, and if you reduce my hope, then I can really race for the right reasons (to test myself, enjoy the sport, celebrate the lifestyle, hang out with peers....not just to race for a Kona slot). I'll be honest, I went to Tahoe hoping for the best chance of a Kona slot with one of the last 50 slot races for 2016. It was my 4th IM of the year. I raced my heart out and for the longest time on the run I was sitting in the last KQ place in my age group, and then lack of training, doing my 4th IM of the year, maybe a few nutritional mistakes, no acclimatization to altitude....it all caught up in the last 6 miles and I slid back to 9th....but that was an awesome day which ended 13 min or so outside the last KQ. Being in the environment in Tahoe reminded me why I do this and while KQ is a carrot, everything else is the primary reason.

With 40 slot races, I just end up doing and picking my races for all the other good reasons to race, because a KQ becomes even less achievable, and that's fine. I'll likely end up in Muskoka next year. Depends on family schedule and plans and earlier in the year IM South Africa or Nice. I still have a hotel booked in Whistler just in case though!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
40 for 2016 or 2017 Kona?
Thanks,
Jamie

devashish_paul wrote:
santino314 wrote:

I just got confirmation that Muskoka will be 40 slots.

To some degree, I prefer that all races are 40 slots other than Championship events. At least then it is consistent, even though I would personally be penalized as 50-54 will generally lose a slot in this scheme, but that's fine if it is consistent. A little hope goes a long way, and if you reduce my hope, then I can really race for the right reasons (to test myself, enjoy the sport, celebrate the lifestyle, hang out with peers....not just to race for a Kona slot). I'll be honest, I went to Tahoe hoping for the best chance of a Kona slot with one of the last 50 slot races for 2016. It was my 4th IM of the year. I raced my heart out and for the longest time on the run I was sitting in the last KQ place in my age group, and then lack of training, doing my 4th IM of the year, maybe a few nutritional mistakes, no acclimatization to altitude....it all caught up in the last 6 miles and I slid back to 9th....but that was an awesome day which ended 13 min or so outside the last KQ. Being in the environment in Tahoe reminded me why I do this and while KQ is a carrot, everything else is the primary reason.

With 40 slot races, I just end up doing and picking my races for all the other good reasons to race, because a KQ becomes even less achievable, and that's fine. I'll likely end up in Muskoka next year. Depends on family schedule and plans and earlier in the year IM South Africa or Nice. I still have a hotel booked in Whistler just in case though!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my dad asked me why I wasn't doing Kona next year. I answered simply, "because i am not good enough!"

And it is liberating to come to such terms and conditions on my racing pedigree-:)

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville and Muskoka 2016 race Kona slots [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree about the "not good enough" pedigree. I think pretty well for 20 something years, I have been in the 15-30 min "on the outside group". I got lucky a few times and once I really trained optimally and was "good enough" and my hit rate is 1 of 10 IM's at this point. I'm just stupid and persistent when it comes to entering these things, but I don't really have any illusions of which group I fit into. It really is about the journey which is awesome and I think your race at Wales and mine in Tahoe just reinforced it further. I am not persistent enough to do the optimal training. Realistically I did it once, and was "good enough" but the sacrifice on rest of life is not worth it. I have a good balance (or should I say "unbalance") on other fronts in life.

Also on the other question 40 slots at Muskoka 2016 for Kona 2017. Hope to see you there Rhys with the fun of enjoying the course and knowing it will be a fair event in a beautiful setting

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I agree that all non championship races should have equal slots. That said, I wouldn't protest extra slots in my race. I'm realistically outside the bubble even with 50 slots so my carrot it still a carrot, just one that's a bit further out of reach. Whistler has sentimental reasons as well so I would have raced there regardless.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply