Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman...
Quote | Reply
I saw down below a lot of disappointed Norseman lottery entrants, but I'm curious about the other events that didn't release their total entrants. With some being very newish, I'm wondering if basically everyone who applied got in and has their choice of races at this point. I think this is the first year the lotteries haven't required immediate commitment and have been all simultaneous. My data point:

Norseman: no
Celtman: yes
Alaskman: yes
Swissman: no
Swedeman: didn't apply
Janosik Slovak: didn't apply

Could have been worse for me...
Last edited by: thndrmatt: Nov 19, 17 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [thndrmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Norseman: No
Swedeman: Yes

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [thndrmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celtman: No
Alaskaman: Yes
Swedeman: Yes
Swissman: TBD
Jánošík Slovak: Yes

If I don't make it into Swissman then I will be doing Swedeman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swissman: TBD... and make that a No
Last edited by: bhoage: Nov 19, 17 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [bhoage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Norseman 2014, so glad I got in before it became as popular as it has.
Swissman TBD but I don't have my hopes up.
Wish I had thought to enter the other Xtri races but I will enter them all next year in hopes of getting into one. I just didn't think it would be cool to enter all and if i got into several, to cancel the least desired.
Looks like its only Mont Tremblant this year
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [Alpinist909] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpinist909 wrote:
Wish I had thought to enter the other Xtri races but I will enter them all next year in hopes of getting into one. I just didn't think it would be cool to enter all and if i got into several, to cancel the least desired.

I think canadaman might be open
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norseman 2016

Celtman: no
Alaskaman: no

Not a great batting average this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
Alpinist909 wrote:

I think canadaman might be open

Still? I thought they were all closed as of the 14th
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the Xtri World Tour FB page:

“All of the Xtri World Tour race ballots are now closed. Thank you to those who have entered. We had an impressive 6627 applications across all 7 races.”

So, 4400 applicants for 300 spots at Norseman and 2200 applicants for the remaining 6 races (370 average).

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celtman: yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Applied Alaskaman and was accepted. Beginners luck maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
From the Xtri World Tour FB page:

“All of the Xtri World Tour race ballots are now closed. Thank you to those who have entered. We had an impressive 6627 applications across all 7 races.”

So, 4400 applicants for 300 spots at Norseman and 2200 applicants for the remaining 6 races (370 average).

Scott

Did you get another shot at Norseman?
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put my name in the draw, but was not selected. Hurts the heart to be back on the “outside”, but the head knows it is for the best. I need time to get my foot right before going back for the black shirt.

You?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I put my name in the draw, but was not selected. Hurts the heart to be back on the “outside”, but the head knows it is for the best. I need time to get my foot right before going back for the black shirt.

You?

Scott

It was a great experience. I'm not sure going back could replicate it. I got a black shirt so it's not like going ten minutes faster or 20 spots higher would have any actual meaning. I'd rather do something different and let others experience it. If I were you though I'd really want to get back and go up that mountain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said, the black shirt says it all. Best of luck in your next adventure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norseman - No
Swissman - Yes
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how did my chubby knucklehead friend who has only ever completed two HIMs get accepted to Celtman? not trying to rub it in for you at all, but well .... I can't see him getting past ye olde jellyfish

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norseman: No (for the sixth year running, FFS).

Swissman: Yes (1st attempt).

I'll spend the next 7 months wracked by confusion as to whether to use my Canyon Speedmax for it or my road bike (an ancient Cube Agree GTC Race). Mind you, it's a good excuse to replace the Cube with something very light and climby.
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sasquatch, what sort of bike are you going to use for Swissman?

I did ThorXTri last year, where the bike leg begins with a properly hoofing HC climb for 11km, and managed that ok on my Canyon Speedmax, but I'm concerned that given the much higher amount of climbing on Swissman, a road bike (with clip-on tri bars) might be a better shout. Have you raced Swissman before? Any advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [BagsofSmoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BagsofSmoke wrote:
Sasquatch, what sort of bike are you going to use for Swissman?

I did ThorXTri last year, where the bike leg begins with a properly hoofing HC climb for 11km, and managed that ok on my Canyon Speedmax, but I'm concerned that given the much higher amount of climbing on Swissman, a road bike (with clip-on tri bars) might be a better shout. Have you raced Swissman before? Any advice?

I'm in Swissman. Currently planning on riding an aero road bike. Definitely subject to discussion though.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [BagsofSmoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the months late reply. I just saw this when considering just that question - What bike? What gearing? The bike is typically my strong suit. Except, I'm a bigger fella at 6'5", 210-15 lbs. and somehow, while I wasn't paying attention, I got old. I'm relatively certain my fastest option would be to ride the tri-bike relatively hard through the flats, false flats and any rollers, and tick off the climbs in a wee baby gear. However, as stated, I'm old now, do I really care how fast I go or should I chose the road bike where my back / hip / whatever is less likely to give up on me and which I am just more comfortable climbing, decending, eating, changing layers?

In sum, totally undecided. You?
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an average 50+ cyclist, I'm taking the road bike (Cervelo S5) to Swissman with a mid-compact on the front and 11x32 in the back. Better to have it an not use it than need it and not have it. I expect the road bike may be a wash or slightly slower time wise, but I'll be looking around and taking in the course a whole lot more. On the tri bike, I see the road, but not a lot of the course.

I took the road bike to Alaskaman last summer. I'm sure I gave up quite a bit of time (I'm guessing 15 or 20 minutes) compared to the tri bike, but I think time is a secondary consideration for most people in these races.
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery results: Norseman, Celtman, Swissman, Alaskaman, Swedeman... [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that borders on wisdom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to replace my ancient Cube road bike with a Canyon Aeroad, so I'm erring towards taking to Switzerland rather than the Speedmax. Disc brakes will provide a lot more comfort on the downhills if the weather is bad. At ThorXtri last year, we had torrential rain (the sort that would put you off driving a car in it, let alone a bike) and it was quite character building waiting for my brakes to clear the water off the carbon rims before actually slowing the bike down. The Speedmax was actually fine going up the first HC climb in Norway, but I don't fancy doing 3 times as much climbing and the Tremola on it to be honest.

I'm not going to be troubling the front runners and my only goal is to finish, so I think a road bike sounds like a good option and would make for a more enjoyable day out. I will miss the Speedmax though - it is one hell of a bike and I formed quite an attachment to it after Norway!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resurrected this thread for 2019 races. Last year I completed both Celtman via lottery slot and Canadaman via signing up the week of the race. I believe Canadaman stated they were full a week or two prior but let me in when I e-mailed them direct. Both phenomenal races that helped me realize what I actually want out of race experiences in the future.

Icon (Livigno/Stelvio): Was one of the first 50 to sign up, so per their 2019 xtri acceptance promotion yes with no lottery required
Swissman: yes

Now I have the "problem" of flying to Switzerland twice in one summer since I'd already committed to Icon with the expectation Norseman and Swissman would say no. Might even bring the wife along one of the times. :) Figure fly into Milan for one, Zurich for the other, see more of the sights... Thank goodness for frequent flier miles and hotel points.
Quote Reply

Prev Next