Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lottery Races
Quote | Reply
I am sure there have been NUMEROUS threads like this in the past. I did a quick search on Slowtich and didn't want to sift through thousands of pages of message boards. So I figured go the easier route and ask the Slowtwitch collective brain for input instead. Work smarter, not harder!

I am making a list of races that I want to do before I kick the bucket. I thought others might find this particular list interesting as well.
I have plenty on my the list already like ITU Worlds, 70.3 Worlds, Kona, and Boston that you must qualify for. For this forum I am thinking more along the lines of races that are lottery slots only. They may have a qualifying standard (such as a number of 100s you have competed in), but not ones that you have to qualify for directly (i.e. races mentioned above).

Also, I am not just talking triathlons. Cycling, Swimming, running races are all fair game. I would love the community’s ideas of what to add to the list. All races I know about/have found below are in North America, save Norseman. Anyone from outside North America that has a great lottery entry race please chime in as well!

I am sure we will come up with some great stuff. I hope someone else finds this useful as well. Thanks in advance!

1. Escape from Alcatraz
2. Norseman
3. New York Triathlon
4. Chicago Marathon
5. New York Marathon
6. Marine Corps Marathon
7. Peachtree Road Race
8. Mount Marathon
9. Leadville Trail 100
10. Western States 100
11. Hardrock 100
12. Badwater 135
13. Leadville Trail 100 MTB
14. RAMROD
15. Ride the Rockies
16. RAGBRAI
17. Horribly Hilly Hundreds
18. Great Chesapeake Bay Swim
19. Boston Light Swim

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Survival of the Shawangunks is currently a hybrid. 100 slots sold and the other 50 lottery (or some similar numbers)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtillO: mixture of qualifying slots, 'merit' slots (on dossier) and lottery

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if Badwater 135 qualifies as a lottery. You are applying and they are accepting based on criteria. Much different than dropping $50 on a NYC Marathon or Alcatraz lottery where they draw your name out of a bucket.

Also Kona has a lottery :) And most of those races are not lottery only entries. NYC and Chicago marathon have qualifiers.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like an awesome race! Thanks for the tip!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder! I have wanted to do this race since first reading about it. Really unique setup!

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Races with qualifying standards but lottery entry are fine. Chicago, New York, Hardrock and Western States for example are that way. Kona is one of the events on my personal list, but to qualify, not enter the lottery.

I am mainly interested in lottery races for the purposes of this post. Any fun, hard, unique races with a lottery entry system, whether with qualifying standards or without.

If an event has a way to qualify I want to do that route (ITU Worlds, 70.3 worlds, Kona, Boston). If I can't qualify, then I am not going to apply for the lottery. If I can't make the qualifying cut, I don't want to be on the course. It's just my own personal feeling on the matter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is one I am gonna do in the next couple years. have about a 75% chance of getting in.
http://www.cheqfattire.com/registration/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The St. George marathon typically has about 16,000 applicants and only accepts half of that. Last year they took 7900. Great race.

http://www.runandtrimommy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
That looks like an awesome race! Thanks for the tip!

Yes, did it last year. Best race ever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alcatraz has a handful of qualifier races.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
London marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barkley Marathon
Entry System = Lottery (you lose, you run)
Distance = 100 miles
Race Cutoff = 60 hours
Competitor limit = 25 per year
Entry Fee = $1.60 (not a typo)
Chances of finishing = ~2%

I am just dying for some poor slob of an STer to get into this event and post their race report
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Butte 100 MTB (lottery)
Park City P2P MTB (not lottery, but sold out in ~ 5 minutes)
Test of Metal MTB (not lottery, sells out very quickly in past years)
Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That just looks fun! Thanks for the tip!

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [klimb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is supposed to be one of the most scenic marathons as well if I remember correctly. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I don't know why I didn't have that on the original list. Definitely an iconic and scenic race! Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OHHHHH YEA! That is definitely on the list. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
Barkley Marathon
Entry System = Lottery (you lose, you run)
Distance = 100 miles
Race Cutoff = 60 hours
Competitor limit = 25 per year
Entry Fee = $1.60 (not a typo)
Chances of finishing = ~2%

I am just dying for some poor slob of an STer to get into this event and post their race report

I have read about this before. I don't know where. Maybe trail runner mag?

This is definitely in consideration. Only after I have a few years of ultras under my belt though and if I can figure out how to get in Wink

Quote Reply
Re: Lottery Races [OldnFat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking your time to give me some ideas to add to the list. I will check them out for sure!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mount Washington road race in New Hampshire. Only one hill. Awesome run, cardio-wise it felt like running a 5k for an hour and half plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:

7. Peachtree Road Race

If you are a member of the Atlanta Track Club, you are guaranteed entry into the PRR. If you live local it is a no brainer. If not, the lottery may make more sense because, after all, it is just a 10K. But if this is a bucket list race & you are looking for a guaranteed entry, joining the ATC is a way to get in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Leadville MTB race also has qualifiers in addition to the lottery - Austin Rattler, Barn Burner and Slver Rush to name a few

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next