Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand
Quote | Reply
I have never been one to complain on social media, but after the experience I have had with a high end Trek triathlon bike I am hoping for either some form of resolution or at least a warning to other consumers.

I dropped my Trek Speed Concept 7.5 off at the Trek store in Boca Raton, FL to have the headset bearings replaced before Ironman Chattanooga. During the race, I noticed the front end becoming very loose. I realized post-race that the reason was one of the bolts attaching the stem to the fork had broken. I contacted the manager of the shop who started a warranty claim, but even though this is less than a year old, Trek refused to replace the frame because the damage was only cosmetic (even though this was damaged because of either faulty parts or workmanship) and as I was told "There was still a chance I could have damaged it while riding". I was given a replacement fork which was offered to me as either all white or all black (loosing the paint scheme on the bike). I was ok with this, even though this will ruin the resale value.

I paid the Trek store several hundred dollars for re-cabling, a new chain, and some other parts. On my first ride, I had the brake lever EJECT from the bars (it appears these were never tightened and popped loose when i hit a bump). It was quite an experience trying to grab a free-floating brake lever while riding at 22mph. I am shocked that I wasn't injured.

I have Ironman Florida in less than two weeks and zero confidence that this bike will carry me the distance safely. This has been my 6th consecutive Trek bike and if anyone has any brand recommendations for a replacement I am ready for a switch and would love to hear them.
Last edited by: crpark0: Oct 26, 16 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [crpark0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo or Felt

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like you have posted this on FB somewhere such that it popped up in my newsfeed. Maybe in a group somewhere? You got a ton of replies on that thread, so I'm curious to why you're posting it on ST. I have a couple of thoughts on this:

1) Sounds like your bike was not serviced or put together properly
2) If you notice something faulty on the bike (i.e. a loose bolt) and continue to ride it, there will be consequences.

Your issues have little, if anything, to do with Trek...looks like your issues are mostly due to your shop.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Oct 26, 16 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Your issues have little, if anything, to do with Trek...looks like your issues are mostly due to your shop.

^^^^^^^ +1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have had nothing but good experiences with Trek/Bontrager. Crash replaced a helmet 2 days after my 1 year expired. I'd try talking to TREK Customer Service again. Sounds like the shop is more at fault than anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

1) Sounds like your bike was not serviced or put together properly
2) If you notice something faulty on the bike (i.e. a loose bolt) and cont

Yeah, sounds like a Trek Store mechanic did the old wake-and-bake prior to working on that thing. I always do a good once-over after getting a bike back from the shop. Even a mechanic I trust once failed me.

Bad wrenching from high-end shops does surprise me, though, since the service dept. is one of only two remaining trump cards that brick-and-mortar stores hold over Web sales. (along with fitting services). You think they'd have a 1-minute QA checklist prior to releasing a bike. Sometimes they're just in a big rush, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your beef should be primarily with your shop rather than Trek. Perhaps you could get then a torque wrench for Christmas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James,

I did post that on FB, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a FB expert and not sure how it would have shown up in your feed - the comments were all from buddies of mine. I'm curious as to if anyone on here (mainly triathletes and racers) have had similar issues with the speed concepts and a poll as to the current makeup of tri bikes on the race scene.

As for the bike shop - I grew up in the bike industry and was a wrench for 7 years. The only reason I haven't worked on this bike is because of the varying torque requirements and complexity on the front end. I had the work done by a Trek specific bike shop because I'm told they are all experts in knowing the required cable lengths, torque settings, etc. As I see it the Trek Bicycle stores are a direct representation of the Trek brand. Maybe I'm misled on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, yea a bike shop represents the products it sells; but at the end of the day the liability of a service issue (like your brake lever) is on the shop that did the service and not on Bontrager for being faulty in some way. I've worked on quite a few 9 series Speed Concepts and while they are complicated they are not especially difficult to work on and things like your front end essentially coming loose and shearing a bolt off is DEFINITELY not Trek's problem. Interestingly, most/all of your communication with the warranty department has likely been through the company that represents Trek to you: the LBS you chose. This same LBS also seems to have done a poor service job on your bike... .

And FTR, I'd say the same things about any bike/component manufacturer. People think I have a Cervelo bias (wait, I do) but if you swapped your Trek for a P5-6 in this conversation I'd be saying the same thing.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Oct 26, 16 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok hold on....

To replace the fork, it only requires you to re-cable the front brake (and I could argue you could just use the existing cable and no re-cabling is needed). If the shop really told you the whole bike needed re-cabling, you need to take your business elsewhere now.

I know it's a drive but take your bike to Tri Bike Run in Juno Beach and tell them I sent you (George/Linda are the owners and Rudy is the head mechanic). They will take great care of you.

I've had 3 trek speed concept's and have had the following problems:

- thread stripped on fork where the stem attaches to it (2012 version bike). Fork replaced under warranty. No money out of my pocket.
- Cracked stem (2012 version bike). Stem replaced under warranty. No money out of my pocket.

I'd say that's pretty good for the amount of abuse I give my bikes (event though I take good care of them). I don't think any of your problems are specific to Trek the mfg. It's the workmanship and that's on the shop. Just because the shop's name says Trek, please don't lump them in the same category as the mfg.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
DEFINITELY not Trek's problem.

Well, ultimately Trek is responsible for enforcing service standards at their official dealers. I don't think Trek lets any old bike store put a big Trek logo in their window. They have to keep up-to-date with Trek processes and service bulletins. They have to bring some standards to the table. That said, no dealer can ensure that mechanics never screw up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it sounds like an LBS issue, not Trek.

That being said - a question: When my vehicle has a warranty problem, the dealership / manufacturer provide the part and all labor involved. In the bike industry it seems that the part is covered, but the LBS's charge for labor to make the repair, swap things out, etc. People seem to be paying this without question. Why? Does the manufacturer not cover the labor as part of the warranty?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crpark0 wrote:
James,

I did post that on FB, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a FB expert and not sure how it would have shown up in your feed - the comments were all from buddies of mine. I'm curious as to if anyone on here (mainly triathletes and racers) have had similar issues with the speed concepts and a poll as to the current makeup of tri bikes on the race scene.

As for the bike shop - I grew up in the bike industry and was a wrench for 7 years. The only reason I haven't worked on this bike is because of the varying torque requirements and complexity on the front end. I had the work done by a Trek specific bike shop because I'm told they are all experts in knowing the required cable lengths, torque settings, etc. As I see it the Trek Bicycle stores are a direct representation of the Trek brand. Maybe I'm misled on this.

The SC is not that hard to work on. You do realize that every bike has torque settings right? But Trek is one of the few (if not the only) that stamps the torque setting right next to the bolt!! It can't get any easier than that! You buy a torque wrench off amazon. You take your time working on the bike and once you've taken it apart a few times, you can take it apart in your head in your sleep.

You've been a mechanic before so I'm honestly baffled on why you be would scared to work on your own bike.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with Steve- take your bike to TBR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a recommendation for alternate brand bike as I love my speed concept, but definitely not a fan of the service at the Trek shop in Boca. They only people that I let touch my bike are the guys at TUNE in Boca. Hands down the best service in the area. Ethan and Vince are excellent mechanics and can service all makes of bikes. The foundation of their business is service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had just the opposite experience with Trek: they warrantied a '14 frame where the seatpost clamp had failed and the whole process was very much so "no hassles".

I'm going to echo what the others are saying: your beef is primarily with your LBS. The brake lever has nothing to do with Trek. I can't speak to the other faults but it sounds like the mechanic working on your bike doesn't know what he/she is doing.

If you're willing to drive up to Juno Beach, Tri Bike Run has Trek, Felt, Cervelo... even Ventum... and the staff is very knowledgeable and friendly.
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to find another shop to go to. Or better yet, learn how to do the work yourself. Not great alternatives but could save you from a crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that I'm scared to work on the bike, I'm just extremely busy (working 12 hours a day) and I didn't own a torque wrench (which I have now purchased to recable the front brake and reassemble the front end). I haven't done anything but basic maintenance on my own bikes in 15 years. Quite a lot has changed since then, hydraulic disc brakes were only available on ultra high end mountain bikes at that time. I also thought that a mechanic from a Trek Store would be better trained to do the job. Similar to having a house painted - I could do the job, but the speed at which it would be done and the professionalism at the end would be worth spending the money. Lesson learned....

I do appreciate your recommendation for the shop in Juno. I'll check them out when I need something else done on my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
DEFINITELY not Trek's problem.

Well, ultimately Trek is responsible for enforcing service standards at their official dealers. I don't think Trek lets any old bike store put a big Trek logo in their window. They have to keep up-to-date with Trek processes and service bulletins. They have to bring some standards to the table. That said, no dealer can ensure that mechanics never screw up.

If you think that actually happens between manufacturers and bike shops... I've got some great stuff to sell you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Ok hold on....

To replace the fork, it only requires you to re-cable the front brake (and I could argue you could just use the existing cable and no re-cabling is needed). If the shop really told you the whole bike needed re-cabling, you need to take your business elsewhere now.

I know it's a drive but take your bike to Tri Bike Run in Juno Beach and tell them I sent you (George/Linda are the owners and Rudy is the head mechanic). They will take great care of you.

- thread stripped on fork where the stem attaches to it (2012 version bike). Fork replaced under warranty. No money out of my pocket.
- Cracked stem (2012 version bike). Stem replaced under warranty. No money out of my pocket.

I'd say that's pretty good for the amount of abuse I give my bikes (event though I take good care of them). I don't think any of your problems are specific to Trek the mfg. It's the workmanship and that's on the shop. Just because the shop's name says Trek, please don't lump them in the same category as the mfg.

perhaps i'm missing something here. was the fork damaged from use as a result of the broken stem bolt ? if not, why would the fork need to be replaced if it's just one bolt attaching the stem to it that is the problem ? can't just remove and replace the stem ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have worked on several thousand of my bikes and have never used a torque wrench.
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
stevej wrote:
Ok hold on....

perhaps i'm missing something here. was the fork damaged from use as a result of the broken stem bolt ? if not, why would the fork need to be replaced if it's just one bolt attaching the stem to it that is the problem ? can't just remove and replace the stem ?

Stem bolt wasn't broken. The bike was being reassembled and torqued to the mfg specs. The SC stem gets fastened on the top part of the fork. There are threaded inserts on the top of the fork where the stem bolt gets attached. When tightening the bolt down (and I didn't exceed the max torque setting), the thread in the fork stripped and the bolt just kept spinning. On the older bike, there were 3 bolts that attached the stem to the fork. With one of the threads stripped in the fork, the stem was riding a tad loose next to fork.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
following you there... still don't see why the fork would need to be replaced... how was it damaged ? if the "female" side of the stem was stripped, the bolt is obviously not torqued. why not just remove the other bolt(s) and take the stem off and replace it ? apology if i'm still not getting your drift.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crpark0 wrote:
Trek Bicycle stores are a direct representation of the Trek brand. Maybe I'm misled on this.
Ditto everyone. All the stuff is the shop's fault, not the manufacturer's. Find a shop with solid mechanics. If you contacted Trek and pushed that their local shop representing them killed the bike, Trek would probably tell you that the shop should make you whole again. Maybe Trek would assist the shop and encourage them to do better. But that depends a lot on how you approach Trek and the shop owner.

And, I would never have maintenance done prior to an event, unless I had no choice or a few hundred miles to find and fix any issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

If you think that actually happens between manufacturers and bike shops... I've got some great stuff to sell you!

I'll check the Classifieds! :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next