Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Losing power on trainer
Quote | Reply
During the past few trainer rides I've noticed something a bit strange (to me anyway)... I'll do 5 minute intervals and during the interval my power drops as much as 20-25 watts even though I don't shift or change my cadence. It's a bit frustrating when you have a certain wattage you're trying to hold for the interval. Today I did a 20 minute interval and gradually lost power over the entire ride. Again, no shifting so I assume my speed would be the same...

So what's going on here? Am I just settling in and maybe gaining some efficiency or is this an over training issue or something else? I would think using less power at the same speed is a good thing, right?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power on trainer [tmoyer984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tmoyer984 wrote:
During the past few trainer rides I've noticed something a bit strange (to me anyway)... I'll do 5 minute intervals and during the interval my power drops as much as 20-25 watts even though I don't shift or change my cadence. It's a bit frustrating when you have a certain wattage you're trying to hold for the interval. Today I did a 20 minute interval and gradually lost power over the entire ride. Again, no shifting so I assume my speed would be the same...

So what's going on here? Am I just settling in and maybe gaining some efficiency or is this an over training issue or something else? I would think using less power at the same speed is a good thing, right?

Thanks!

It sounds like the resistance of the trainer is decreasing with time. This can occur as the tire warms up or the fluid in some fluid trainers warm but we need more data for a more educated response.

What trainer are you riding?

What power meter are you using?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power on trainer [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a Travel Trac fluid trainer and I'm using a Power2Max pm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tmoyer984 wrote:

It's not uncommon for fluid trainers to have their resistance decrease as the fluid warms. That could easily explain what you're seeing. If you want to maintain a constant power you'll need to either shift up or bump your cadence.

If you didn't have a power meter you probably wouldn't realize your power was dropping off.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Mar 5, 15 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power on trainer [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
tmoyer984 wrote:

It's not uncommon for fluid trainers to have their resistance decrease as the fluid warms. That could easily explain what you're seeing. If you want to maintain a constant power you'll need to either shift up or bump your cadence.

If you didn't have a power meter you probably wouldn't realize your power was dropping off.

Hugh

And on my fluid trainer (cyclops fluid2) the resistance increases as temperature increases (well first it decreases but after 5 min it increases again). So glad I have a powermeter, but I guess I never knew this before I had one, just thought I was getting tired.
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power on trainer [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The drop in power could be related to an increase in boredom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tmoyer984 wrote:

I have the Travel Trac fluid as well. there is a slight drop in power when warming up for me (in the first 5-10 minutes), but no where near the 20-25 you are seeing. I have a powertap for my power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tmoyer984 wrote:
Trainer resistance varies as other have mentioned.

Check your power meter's torque zero readings during a session as well.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply