Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lose 10lbs during IM training-tell me how to structure meals?
Quote | Reply
I've slowly added 10lbs over the last year and half. I've also raised my fitness as well during this time by a lot. So maybe I shouldn't sweat it since my fitness gains outweigh weight gain. However, I can't imagine how much faster I would be on the run with 10-15 lbs less weight. My last Ironman I ran 3:30 and weighed in at 187lbs.

My scale says I have 9.5-10% BF. I'm 6'2" and 191 lbs right now. So I'm assuming I could lose 10lbs easy but I struggle with feeling depleted in my workouts when I cut back calories. I think a lot has to do with timing. I eat 400-500kcal for breakfast, 500-700kcAl for lunch, then 2000 kcal for dinner. I train 2 hrs in am and 1 hr in evening( before dinner). I'm wondering if my body can handle the food load in the evenings and storing it as fat. But at the same time I need to fuel for early am workouts and I can't wake up early to fuel before because I need sleep. So I usually train in am on empty stomach. I know a lot has to do with I'm probably eating too many calories but I'm sure I'm not helping my situation with timing. Any suggestions on food in the evening that will fulfill my appetite and also fuel am workouts that aren't so calorie dense. I eat very healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Lose 10lbs during IM training-tell me how to structure meals? [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Putting on my nutritionist hat (what I do for a living), my $0.02 worth is that your evening meal is indeed, too many calories. Spreading out the load throughout the day should give you better results.

My suggestion to get through the AM workout would be to add Generation Ucan immediately before you exercise. It's the real deal and the easiest way I describe it is "a carb that acts like a fat" (long-time release of calories without stomach upset). You might also use the product as a nightcap to help with evening hunger. I use the orange flavor in water before exercise and the plain formula in an almond milk smoothie with PB2 or peanut butter as a nightcap. It will help keep you from being so hungry;

https://www.generationucan.com/

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Lose 10lbs during IM training-tell me how to structure meals? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Putting on my nutritionist hat (what I do for a living), my $0.02 worth is that your evening meal is indeed, too many calories. Spreading out the load throughout the day should give you better results.

My suggestion to get through the AM workout would be to add Generation Ucan immediately before you exercise. It's the real deal and the easiest way I describe it is "a carb that acts like a fat" (long-time release of calories without stomach upset). You might also use the product as a nightcap to help with evening hunger. I use the orange flavor in water before exercise and the plain formula in an almond milk smoothie with PB2 or peanut butter as a nightcap. It will help keep you from being so hungry;
https://www.generationucan.com/

Do you have any affiliation with Ucan???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lose 10lbs during IM training-tell me how to structure meals? [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurance1234 wrote:
I've slowly added 10lbs over the last year and half. I've also raised my fitness as well during this time by a lot. So maybe I shouldn't sweat it since my fitness gains outweigh weight gain. However, I can't imagine how much faster I would be on the run with 10-15 lbs less weight. My last Ironman I ran 3:30 and weighed in at 187lbs.
My scale says I have 9.5-10% BF. I'm 6'2" and 191 lbs right now. So I'm assuming I could lose 10lbs easy but I struggle with feeling depleted in my workouts when I cut back calories. I think a lot has to do with timing. I eat 400-500kcal for breakfast, 500-700kcAl for lunch, then 2000 kcal for dinner. I train 2 hrs in am and 1 hr in evening( before dinner). I'm wondering if my body can handle the food load in the evenings and storing it as fat. But at the same time I need to fuel for early am workouts and I can't wake up early to fuel before because I need sleep. So I usually train in am on empty stomach. I know a lot has to do with I'm probably eating too many calories but I'm sure I'm not helping my situation with timing. Any suggestions on food in the evening that will fulfill my appetite and also fuel am workouts that aren't so calorie dense. I eat very healthy.

I'm about 6'1.5" and weigh around 175 with long arms and long legs. I can weigh whatever i want and have been as low as 150 but I look like a scarecrow at that weight, or even at 160, so i feel that 173-175 is good weight for me. I eat pretty similarly to you in that i just eat enough during the day to keep from feeling like I'm starving, then eat a big dinner spread over about 2-3 hrs. Looking at your numbers, you say that you're taking in about 3200 cal/day at the most and training 3 hr/day. If this were truly the case, then you would be losing at least 2 lb per week already: your daily cal intake w/ zero training must be around 2500 cal/day, plus say 700 cal/hr x 3 = 2100 cal implies around 4600 cal/day total, or a 1400 cal/day deficit; 1400 cal/day x 7 days implies 9800 cal/wk or 2.8 lb/wk at 3500 cal/lb. In summary, I think you are severely underestimating your cal/day intake. I believe you just need to watch your intake more carefully rather than when you eat. The majority opinion on timing of eating is that it does not matter when you eat but rather how much you eat.

Quote Reply
Re: Lose 10lbs during IM training-tell me how to structure meals? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

None, whatsoever. I am a full-time employee of Life Time Athletic in Las Vegas, NV.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Lose 10lbs during IM training-tell me how to structure meals? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

None, whatsoever. I am a full-time employee of Life Time Athletic in Las Vegas, NV.

OK, thanks, just checking to make sure. Not "barking" at you. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the biggest things that has helped me is switching my lunch and dinner. Eating my bigger calories at lunch has really helped fuel my pm workouts better and I don't feel weighted down in the evening.

I would really track all the snacks that you are eating between meals as well. I changed out what I was eating for my snacks and that helped in dropping weight as well. You can 500cal of junk or 500cal of quality and your body responds totally different. Good luck with the weight loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing three hours a day of training your calculations are off. I'm 6'2" and about 168 right now, but years ago when I got into tris I was carrying college weight of about 203. I saw an article in a Bicycling Mag and it talked about how to lose weight the right way, and had a sample day meal plan. I followed that same meal plan day after day for close to six months. Dropped about 35 lbs quick.

Found the main stuff on some old post. Do that and you should be good to go; http://www.bdc-forum.it/...thread.php?p=1460768
Quote Reply