Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looks like 70.3 Racine is done
Quote | Reply
Well looks like this race is done as a WTC race. Sad that a race so close to home where I could drive up the morning of the race is gone but also happy because the roads sucked and I am pretty sure I would have signed up for it again. But I also hear that Madison 70.3 roads were pretty bad too. So using that race as a reason to go away seemed a bit much.

http://journaltimes.com/...;utm_campaign=LEEDCC

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to Sean Ryan and the Door County Triathlon.

If there ever was an organization that could run IM off their date and into oblivion, it was your team.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't miss riding on Main St. I won't miss water temps of 53 degrees like it was one year. I will miss what was the clearest water I've ever done a tri in...gorgeous and clean beach. Another drawback to Racine in comparison to Madison and Door County is just the area itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Door County rocks. I have done four independent half ironman races this year and all of them can compete with the 70.3 brand events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Well looks like this race is done as a WTC race. Sad that a race so close to home where I could drive up the morning of the race is gone but also happy because the roads sucked and I am pretty sure I would have signed up for it again. But I also hear that Madison 70.3 roads were pretty bad too. So using that race as a reason to go away seemed a bit much.

http://journaltimes.com/...;utm_campaign=LEEDCC

Not surprised at all by this, but thought they would have at least finished the contract, thought it had one more year?

Anyway, the article states that 3 factors lead to this:
1. Low reg numbers
2. Poor roads
3. Madison 70.3

But then there is this....

"According to Ryan Richards, who was race director of the Ironman 70.3 Racine, there were 1,689 entered for this year’s event — 545 fewer than 2016 and 981 fewer than the 2,670 who participated in 2014. The current attendance is simply not financially viable for WTC, Richards and Real Racine officials stated."

So, is 1700 the ballpark number for a worthy profit for WTC 70.3 races? If so, I feel more Ironman events might be on the chopping block soon. I still feel a sizable contraction in North America is coming.

I've said it before and I'll say it again WTC's production cost is much higher than many realize. Where people think they make a crazy profit on race reg fees, I say it's more on the merch and everything else they sell. Races are expensive, WTC production is expensive. They are not making millions of dollars at races that sell 1000-1500 bibs.
Last edited by: CU427: Sep 18, 17 19:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...back in the "Spirit of Racine" days.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:

"According to Ryan Richards, who was race director of the Ironman 70.3 Racine, there were 1,689 entered for this year’s event — 545 fewer than 2016 and 981 fewer than the 2,670 who participated in 2014. The current attendance is simply not financially viable for WTC, Richards and Real Racine officials stated."

So, is 1700 the ballpark number for a worthy profit for WTC 70.3 races? If so, I feel more Ironman events might be on the chopping block soon. I still feel a sizable contraction in North America is coming.

Yeah, that line stood out like a sore thumb when I read the article.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
CU427 wrote:

Yeah, that line stood out like a sore thumb when I read the article.

It's possible that 1,700 entrants is viable, but that they expected the number to drop precipitously in 2018. A cancelled swim two years in a row probably means a big hit and, given the ability for locals to shift to Madison, recovery was far from certain. They were probably looking at numbers closer to 1,000 for the foreseeable future. I'm bummed for the city, which honestly looked like it could use the money, but spending $300+ to do a 2-event half Ironman was pretty awful and I didn't plan on returning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad to see a race be done, particularly when it's one that let's me sleep in m own bed.

Anyone else find it ironic that they cited poor roads *and* the Madison 70.3 race as reasons the race is shutting down....the roads in Racine aren't great, but they are much better then the Madison 70.3 roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Sad to see a race be done, particularly when it's one that let's me sleep in m own bed.

Anyone else find it ironic that they cited poor roads *and* the Madison 70.3 race as reasons the race is shutting down....the roads in Racine aren't great, but they are much better then the Madison 70.3 roads.

I also found that odd. There's pretty much little reason both races couldn't exist with the Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago markets so close. Better timing and ensuring a swim would help. No matter what conditions, swimming in Lake Michigan vs Madison lakes is an easier water quality choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I thought was most interesting too since all I heard was how awful the roads in Madison were. The roads in Racine weren't good by any means but at least there were a few stretches that were nice. The expansion cracks were just the worst. I can deal with consistent bumps but those cracks beat me down towards the end. But I guess I don't have to worry about those roads again...

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
That is what I thought was most interesting too since all I heard was how awful the roads in Madison were. The roads in Racine weren't good by any means but at least there were a few stretches that were nice. The expansion cracks were just the worst. I can deal with consistent bumps but those cracks beat me down towards the end. But I guess I don't have to worry about those roads again...

I've heard a lot of serious cyclists scoff at the Specialized Future Shock on road bikes (new Roubaix, Diverge) , never mind the thought of it ever being on a tri bike. But posts like this make me think it's an idea worth exploring.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Sep 19, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was Racine licensed, or a wholly owned-operated event?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I am gonna miss the familiarity of this race, knowing all the pre race in's an outs, where the 24 hour McDonalds is for race morning coffee and where the Culver's is post race. My underside isn't gonna miss those roads though.

Will be interesting to see if Muncie, Madison or Door County numbers go up as a result, I assume they will. It does seem like IM is starting to over reach on the half in some areas, but the race season here in the Midwest is so short it's tough to get in too many races. Not sure what the possibility of someone like Escape reviving this is. Maybe as a smaller brand that is trying to increase its market share it's willing to take a lower profit $

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [turneej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC numbers won't increase as they cap at 1000, but it will sell out faster. It used to sell out immediately, I think last year might have been the first time that wasn't case?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I welcome the return of a smaller event to the venue without all the WTC b.s. Knock $50 off the registration fee. Let me check in on race morning.

Did you ever get a chance to race Harbor Lights? That needs to come back too.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there is supply for more than 1,000 can they not find a way to accommodate? Either venue or route change? I have never been to that race so I have no idea.

Superfly Coaching

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very few states have more than one IM 70.3. I think they had already pre-determined that Racine 70.3 was in it's last year in 2017, when they released Wisconsin 70.3 this year. Predictably poor road conditions and unpredictably poor swim conditions definitely factored into the decision. I did the race this year and it was just okay. I wanted to swim, but many athletes would have dropped out because the conditions were "Norseman-Like" in terms of water and air temperature. If given the choice between Wisconsin 70.3, Steelhead 70.3, and Racine 70.3, I can't think of why I would choose Racine 70.3.

ggeiger wrote:
sentania wrote:

I also found that odd. There's pretty much little reason both races couldn't exist with the Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago markets so close. Better timing and ensuring a swim would help. No matter what conditions, swimming in Lake Michigan vs Madison lakes is an easier water quality choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire road system surrounding Racine is in disrepair. I don't think they could find a route to avoid all the bombed out roads.

turneej wrote:
If there is supply for more than 1,000 can they not find a way to accommodate? Either venue or route change? I have never been to that race so I have no idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Congratulations to Sean Ryan and the Door County Triathlon.

If there ever was an organization that could run IM off their date and into oblivion, it was your team.

x1000
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was in reference to Door County not being able to accommodate more than 1,000. I am very familiar with the shit show that is Racine.

Superfly Coaching

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this is sort of sad for me to see go. I did my first 70.3 here back in 2012 and then once again in 2014. Was used to the familiarity of the event and how close everything was for me. I do feel that Muncie and Steelhead should benefit from this situation. I've done both of those and Steelhead would be my choice.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
If given the choice between Wisconsin 70.3, Steelhead 70.3, and Racine 70.3, I can't think of why I would choose Racine 70.3.

Agreed, although I didn't do Milkman/WI70.3 yet. Steelhead is a much better venue and WAY better bike experience that Racine.

If you're already competing in the Racine/Madison area and don't need the WTC name, I highly recommend Superiorman a little further northleft. My favorite swim ever and probably the best run scenery I have seen at a midwest half. Other than the first and last couple miles getting in and out town, the bike was pretty good too. The few times this event pops up on ST, it gets love.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Door county isn't cheaper.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next