Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for square taper compact cranks
Quote | Reply
Looking to see if anyone has the old square taper compact cranks sitting around gathering dust. I may want to try different lengths on my new bike
but sure do not want to buy them new.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for square taper compact cranks [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get an old mountain bike crank. Cut off the mounting bosses for the granny ring with a Dremel or hacksaw. You now have a compact crank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bmx cranks, they are cheap, come in many sizes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What length are you looking for? I've got a pair of 175's that I'm not using at the moment. The rings are 50/36.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got an origin8 cranset 150mm, square taper with 53/39 chainrings
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for square taper compact cranks [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
Get an old mountain bike crank. Cut off the mounting bosses for the granny ring with a Dremel or hacksaw. You now have a compact crank.

I've run several different 74/110 triples as simple 110 doubles without the inner ring, and never had any issue with the unused mounting bosses; they just don't protrude that far, especially given that the chainstay is angled so that there's greater inner clearance closer towards the BB shell anyway. Sometimes I've even put dummy chainring bolts in there simply to keep the threads clean if/when I ever decided to go back to running it as a triple.
Quote Reply