Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost
Quote | Reply
So, I started back into my training which includes lots of early mornings. I find that I get very sluggish by the end of the week. Is there a good supplement, maybe a b12 supplement, or other vitamin or product that has worked for you to give you ongoing energy through training? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
So, I started back into my training which includes lots of early mornings. I find that I get very sluggish by the end of the week. Is there a good supplement, maybe a b12 supplement, or other vitamin or product that has worked for you to give you ongoing energy through training? Thanks.

You are an endurance athlete and at some level you are supposed to be tired. Fwiw, you should see a lot of the high level athletes. They have amazing amount of energy for their sessions and get it done but are exhausted afterward and do nothing.

If I were you I wouldn't look to supplements first. I would start first with more sleep and less exercise. If you REALLY think you are deficient in something then it would help to check by getting a blood test, but without getting a blood test you are just shooting in the dark. If you are curious about a blood tests, I recently wrote up my own process with test results here. With all that being said, placebo can be a very powerful thing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's nothing that serious. It's just the pre-5am wakeups wear on me by later in the day, especially if I do that several days in a row. Busy job, young kids etc etc always on the move. What's worse is that I don't drink coffee, which I know a lot of people lean on to pep them up through the day. In other words, I need something to pep me up.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
It's nothing that serious. It's just the pre-5am wakeups wear on me by later in the day, especially if I do that several days in a row. Busy job, young kids etc etc always on the move. What's worse is that I don't drink coffee, which I know a lot of people lean on to pep them up through the day. In other words, I need something to pep me up.

How about coffee ;)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start drinking coffee?

Consider revising the schedule and get an extra 1 hour of sleep rather one day rather than 3 early wakeups in a row. Maybe find a short block of time in the evenings to make up for it, or increase workouts quality instead. It's a leap of faith, but sometimes you get more adaptation from training less and sleeping more than the opposite. In the end, it's about adaptation.

My best bike power EVER, but a good 10% of more was when I was unemployed for a couple months. I got a solid 7-8 hours of sleep ever day and could crush hard workouts several days in a row, recover and repeat. I haven't been able to quite repeat that since. But I'd really close to taking the leap of faith of training less and sleeping more in my next block to see what happens and ramp up the quality of what I do.

Also, consider really drilling down your morning routine like it's T1 or T2. Shave 5-10 minutes here and there and grab the extra sleep. Don;t stress yourself out, but try and be more deliberate if possible.

Finally, figure out where to combine workouts to save time. Swimming is a huge logistical time suck. I can do a 90 minute trainer ride in less time than a 45-50 minute pool swim factoring in driving and changing. So I've switched to doing 3-4 longer swims a week to get better logistical economies over swimming 5-6 days, shorter swims. Haven't noticed much speed difference, but I'd generally plateaued the last few years swimming. I swim as much for aerobic volume and general strength and flexibility and variety as anything else.

Other natural boosts are paying closer attention to your diet. Make carbs more complex, add some more protein and good fats and more nutrient rich foods. On a suggestion from a friend I'm trying a probiotic too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As TG suggested get your blood tested, there is no point in taking a supplement if you are not deficient. I am Iron deficient and take Iron supplements. Also get your Magnesium levels checked as Iron and Magnesium are often low in endurance athletes.

Have a listen to the IM Talk podcast 545 with Tamsin Lewis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can swing it, try taking a quicker lunch break and spend the extra time catching a 15-20 minute nap afterwards. That can help recharge the batteries for the work afternoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:

The right answer is more sleep.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
As TG suggested get your blood tested, there is no point in taking a supplement if you are not deficient. I am Iron deficient and take Iron supplements. Also get your Magnesium levels checked as Iron and Magnesium are often low in endurance athletes.

Don't forget Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is very common in endurance athletes.

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Don't forget Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is very common in endurance athletes.

I live in Australia. No one in Australia has a Vitamin D deficiency :)
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

I live in Australia. No one in Australia has a Vitamin D deficiency :)

Are you being serious? I live in Sunny Florida and swim outdoors and my levels really aren't anything impressive for someone who also supplements Vitamin D twice a day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The safe sun exposure in Oz to get enough vitamin D is:

September to April - A few minutes of mid-morning or mid-afternoon sun exposure to the face, arms and hands (or equivalent area of skin) most days of the week.
May to August - Approximately two to three hours of midday sun exposure to the face, arms and hands (or equivalent area of skin) spread across the week.

Most Australian triathletes would get enough sun exposure to meet the recommendations.

Everybody absorbs vitamin D differently. If the OP is going to get a blood test then test for vitamin D also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
Busy job, young kids etc etc always on the move.

No offense, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Whoever tells you the opposite, either is bulimic, has a support cake or bakes for a living.

"Kids, Challenging job, Elite-Triathlete" Pick two!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coffee and/or redbull

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Start drinking coffee?

Consider revising the schedule and get an extra 1 hour of sleep rather one day rather than 3 early wakeups in a row. Maybe find a short block of time in the evenings to make up for it, or increase workouts quality instead. It's a leap of faith, but sometimes you get more adaptation from training less and sleeping more than the opposite. In the end, it's about adaptation.

My best bike power EVER, but a good 10% of more was when I was unemployed for a couple months. I got a solid 7-8 hours of sleep ever day and could crush hard workouts several days in a row, recover and repeat. I haven't been able to quite repeat that since. But I'd really close to taking the leap of faith of training less and sleeping more in my next block to see what happens and ramp up the quality of what I do.

Also, consider really drilling down your morning routine like it's T1 or T2. Shave 5-10 minutes here and there and grab the extra sleep. Don;t stress yourself out, but try and be more deliberate if possible.

Finally, figure out where to combine workouts to save time. Swimming is a huge logistical time suck. I can do a 90 minute trainer ride in less time than a 45-50 minute pool swim factoring in driving and changing. So I've switched to doing 3-4 longer swims a week to get better logistical economies over swimming 5-6 days, shorter swims. Haven't noticed much speed difference, but I'd generally plateaued the last few years swimming. I swim as much for aerobic volume and general strength and flexibility and variety as anything else.

Other natural boosts are paying closer attention to your diet. Make carbs more complex, add some more protein and good fats and more nutrient rich foods. On a suggestion from a friend I'm trying a probiotic too.

I hate it when people think that some magic pill (be it legal or illegal, I don't really care that much) will work things out, when the reality is that it takes lots of hard work:

1. Better sleep
  2. Way better nutrition. Most people eat like crap
  3. Better workouts within the envelope of your personal fitness progression
  4. Better stress management in rest of life. It is shocking how people let other stresses eat into their health. There are a ton of great low hanging fruit ways to walk away from bad stress instead of it eating into your body like a cancer

PS. I have exactly zero symapthy for athletes who get doping positives for contaminated supplements too. No one is forcing them to take that crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't read everything but make sure you are getting enough iron too. I had a problem when I was in college.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, coffee looks like poop and smells like poop. Essentially, I'm never going to drink coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
To me, coffee looks like poop and smells like poop. Essentially, I'm never going to drink coffee.

If your poop is as liquid as coffee, you might want to change your diet.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:

Do you want to kick ass at life, or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a supplement to give me an energy boost [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Other natural boosts are paying closer attention to your diet. Make carbs more complex, add some more protein and good fats and more nutrient rich foods.

This.

I don't want to start a debate on high-carb/low-carb/blahblahhblah, we've heard it all before, but from personal experience, whenever I feel sluggish from training and resort to sugary junk food (cakes, donuts, biscuits, chocolate etc) in an attempt to pick up the energy levels it always makes it worse in the long run.

Stick to decent food for a day or two and it can go a long way to keeping your perceived energy levels sustained throughout the day.
Quote Reply