Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a new bike - need advice
Quote | Reply
Hey all, I'm looking for a new triathlon bike. I currently just have a road bike (Specialized Allez Sport) but I've just primarily been doing sprints with olympics taking most of my races this and next year. I'm looking to buy a new bike at the beginning of 2019 because 2019 I'm looking to finish my first half Ironman and then my first full Ironman in 2020. I'm looking for some guidance on brands, specifics, qualities, etc. The thing is I don't have enough money for a TT/race bike and a road bike. Whatever I get will be used for training rides as well as races so it needs to be something I can ride in traffic as well as races. That being said, I'm up for bikes that have both aero-bars and regular road handlebars (like the BH G7) or possibly have clip on aero-bars and go that route? My race "mentality" is that I know I'm NOT the fastest out there. I WON'T place in big races. I just want to have fun and complete something that so few have (i.e. triathlons). That being the case, I don't want "the most aero, most uncomfortable, and most expensive bike in the world". I want something reasonably priced, aero, and comfortable. I understand I'll lose speed for that, but I'm willing to accept that. These are the bikes I've been primarily looking at:

- Cannondale Slice Ultegra Di2 (I don't know much about the upgraded versions of the slice, are they worth it?)
- BH G7 Ultegra Disc (I loooove that it's an aggressive aero road-bike, everything I read is good)
- Felt IA 10
- Trek Speed Concept 7.5

What are your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [jaredswilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the same price range as the Felt and Trek, you can get a Giant Trinity Advanced Pro, which offers a much better, more complete package.

See this: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ppreciated_6301.html

I just got the bike myself (Pro 1 model).

For $4800 USD you get:
- Proven aero design (look who is riding it, not holding any of them back)
- Ultegra Di2 (the Trek only comes with Force 22)
- Integrated water bottle
- Integrated bento box
- Integrated brakes
- Easily adjustable front end with complete spacer kit
- Behind the saddle bottle mount included

The SC 7.5 does not come with the storage box or bento. Those are extra purchases.

I wouldn't get the Slice, as there is not much triathlon specific about it, especially for the price they are asking. It doesn't even have top tube bosses. I think you should get a tri bike no matter what, and will be really happy with that decision.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are looking out 18 months in advance of a bike purchase in 2019? By that time, the four choices below could be irrelevant, and there could be other much better value options out there.

Your starter list is already a few notches above entry level. Honestly, I would reassess in the fall of 2018 for the current bikes available at that time. If you are in the US, Canyon may likely be here. And, the Premier Tactical will probably have a year under its belt. Trek and Felt may have minor to major updates to their bikes by then. (Personally, I would scratch the Slice. Those are likely slower than anything else on your list, but they are inexpensive.)
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! Yeah.... I appreciate the feedback. I definitely agree.... the bike that's relevant now would probably be exceeded by then. I'm just trying to get a better idea of the market and what is out there right now so when the time comes I know what has changed (i.e. what actually IS the new content) and then also being able to identify what are some qualities I like. There's no way I'd be picking the exact bike now, but just looking for some possible supporting info. I'll definitely look into Canyon and Premier Tactical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for arguments sake. Andreas Dreitz rode his Cannondale Slice to a 1:57 bike split over 90k.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Andreas_Dreitz_is_on_the_throttle_5140.html
Last edited by: LifeTri: Jun 19, 17 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are other entrants that could likely change the landscape in 2019. Several of these do not exist yet, and no one here likely knows what is coming:
  • Entry-level Cervelo: I would be very surprised if the current rendition of the P2/P3 still exists in 2019. So, I imagine that Cervelo would have a new entry-level bike by then.
  • New Specialized Shiv - I think a new Shiv is imminent
  • New Speed Concept - Maybe a new SC will come out; I cannot remember the rumors there
  • Giant Trinity Advanced Pro - good value and good looking with lots of integration
  • Diamondback Andean - radical looking and decent value for its place in the world
  • Tons of lower volume and niche brands

Last edited by: exxxviii: Jun 19, 17 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think your budget will be?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you been thru a bike fit session? If not, this is where one needs to start. Then look for a bike to fit you. There is also the issue of disc brake verse rim brake bikes. Well good luck and remember your body produces more drag than any of the frames.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably anything under $5,500. With some wiggle room...
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't... But wouldn't the specific bike and aerobars then dictate the fitting or get a fitting and then a bike?

As for disc vs wheel, Ive always read that disc is better if possible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm buying my first bike in August when I get back from Europe and I don't have my heart set on anything yet. Sure I check everything every day, but, so much can change. I plan on buying a higher end bike at the start of 2019, maybe earlier if things go well and I enjoy it, but I'm not even thinking that far ahead. I think the best thing for you to do is keep relevant on here by following the sport, and if you're that keen on distance tri, start trying to run 21km, or complete any of the distances before you start thinking about spending money
Last edited by: MJI16: Jun 19, 17 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [MJI16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the advice. Already finish a half marathon and a half century ride. Have a full marathon this fall and a full century next spring
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard from this forum that Dimonds may or may not be safe.....
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaredswilson wrote:
I want something reasonably priced, aero, and comfortable. I understand I'll lose speed for that, but I'm willing to accept that.

You won't sacrifice speed for comfort if you focus on getting a bike that fits you. Find a fitter that will size you up using the F.I.S.T. protocol - you will be surprised how comfortable fast can be. Basically, we're finding your happy place in space and putting a bike underneath you. I don't know where you are, but look for a fitter in your area that can give you a list of bikes that fit you (check out the Fitter database here). Since your timeline is pretty open, you might want to watch for the Slowtwitch Road Show to come near you next year (assuming it will be back).

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much. This is exactly the information I need. I will research FIST more and check out the roadshow! Appreciate this, for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaredswilson wrote:
Probably anything under $5,500. With some wiggle room...

Dude, you say you can't afford a road and TT bike, then say your budget is over 5K! You can easily get a super bike (new or used) for under that and race wheels. I got my Trek SC 7.5 from a store going out of business, and have bought other bikes on here or ebay for a major savings. If you have a bike you like now, search used, find them here and buy it.
Then get some flo 60s and be done. No need to waste time thinking about what you will do 2 years from now. Get a good used bike and move on-start training on it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really understand your approach.
You say you can't afford more than one bike and yet your budget is going to be around $5,500. Plus you already have a road bike.
If your Allez is on the way out and you want to continue having a road bike, you can have both within that budget. The tri bikes you list are Di2 versions that are no faster than their mechanical counterparts. I'd first try to get the type and number of bikes you want and then worry about whether you have some excess money rattling around that could go towards Di2.
I would not like to be restricted to my tri bike. I use it a lot and I race on it but I also love my road bike and it's far superior for group rides, hilly rides, use in heavy traffic or where there's lots of junctions, etc.
If I were you I'd be planning to keep the Allez long term in parallel with the tri bike or replace it with another road bike/gravel bike or CX bike for general road riding and other duties. If this leaves you with enough cash for a Di2 groupset, great. If not it's not a huge loss IMO.

Secondly, I agree with the others that if you're not thinking of buying something this year there's not much point trying to choose now. The products, prices and your priorities and interests are all liable to change between now and when you're planning to buy a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Dude, you say you can't afford a road and TT bike, then say your budget is over 5K! You can easily get a super bike (new or used) for under that and race wheels. I got my Trek SC 7.5 from a store going out of business, and have bought other bikes on here or ebay for a major savings. If you have a bike you like now, search used, find them here and buy it.
Then get some flo 60s and be done. No need to waste time thinking about what you will do 2 years from now. Get a good used bike and move on-start training on it now.

I don't really understand your approach.
You say you can't afford more than one bike and yet your budget is going to be around $5,500. Plus you already have a road bike.
If your Allez is on the way out and you want to continue having a road bike, you can have both within that budget. The tri bikes you list are Di2 versions that are no faster than their mechanical counterparts. I'd first try to get the type and number of bikes you want and then worry about whether you have some excess money rattling around that could go towards Di2.
I would not like to be restricted to my tri bike. I use it a lot and I race on it but I also love my road bike and it's far superior for group rides, hilly rides, use in heavy traffic or where there's lots of junctions, etc.
If I were you I'd be planning to keep the Allez long term in parallel with the tri bike or replace it with another road bike/gravel bike or CX bike for general road riding and other duties. If this leaves you with enough cash for a Di2 groupset, great. If not it's not a huge loss IMO.

Secondly, I agree with the others that if you're not thinking of buying something this year there's not much point trying to choose now. The products, prices and your priorities and interests are all liable to change between now and when you're planning to buy a new bike.

This is all great. Thank you.

1) $5k is an estimation of how much I'd like to have for a entire new set (shoes, pedals, bike, helmet) by the time I'm ready to buy. I don't have that much now nor am I 100% sure I'll have exact that by the time I'm ready
2) I do REALLY appreciate guidance of keeping a road-bike at hand. I will either be keeping the Allez as a traffic/group bike OR again, getting an aero road-bike (whatever would be the BH G7 equivalent at that time with some aero clipons or something)
3) So in your experience the Di2 isn't something to jump on initially but to get to it eventually?
4) I am definitely going to look used. That will save a ton of money. I also though want this to be a bike I have for a loooooooong time. My Allez was already pretty old when I got it used....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't have enough info to make a decision (your budget, when you'll buy, what'll be available) nor do you have any need to make a decision at this point since you're literally years from buying. So this is really a bit of a waste of time. Nice to have a think about what you might get perhaps, but it's just hypothetical for now, and you don't need the rest of us for that!
Nevertheless, in my view, any half decent road bike and a separate tri bike beats an aero road bike every time. If you're going to have clip-ons fitted all the time and the saddle adjusted to suit, why not just have a tri bike. If you're going to take them on and off all the time it'll drive you nuts. There's systems like red shift that migth help but it's still a big and pointless compromise if the cost is similar and storage space isn't a critical issue.
Di2 is nice but unnecessary. Unless you've money to spare and already have everything else covered, I think there are better places to spend it, just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
I've had my Dimond for 2 years now and it's perfectly fine. Actually, I'm loving this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a new bike - need advice [mistermcdo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistermcdo wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

I've had my Dimond for 2 years now and it's perfectly fine. Actually, I'm loving this bike.

I was making a joke based on the massive battle between a pro and Dimond that was posted a couple of months ago. I'm sure they are fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I agree with the idea of not buying a road bike when you really want a triathlon bike, if you want ONE nice bike then I like your BH recommendation. I searched and test rode for about six months for a new road bike and wound up with a BH Ultralight. The G7 is a pretty impressive example of the newer performance road disc bikes. There's not a single weak link in the spec either. The Easton aero handlebars are a pretty nice touch. It's got sharp handling, good looks and won't cost you much in the 'aero' department if you can get comfortable. They also have pictures floating around their Instagram of that bike with freaking 32mm tires on gravel rides.

I called over to BH and talked to Matt Sodnicar. They worked with my LBS to give them a cut and my final price was much lower than I would have guessed.

BH isn't well known in the states, but they do a nice job with their bikes. While buying two mid level bikes sounds awesome, the versatility of a BH G7 (with maybe two wheelsets) for the 'one bike to rule them all' is a pretty good pick.
Quote Reply