Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer
Quote | Reply
I have been running almost exclusively in the Asics DS Trainer for the past several years. I am very comfortable in that shoe, however, it does beat the crap out of me on runs longer than about 1-1/2 hours. What I would like to find is a shoe that is very similar in fit and feel to the DS Trainer but which offers more cushion for recovery runs, long runs and IMs. I recently experimented with a few different neutral shoes (Asics Dynaflyte 2, Brooks Launch 4 and Brooks Ghost 10) but none of these shoes worked for me. In all cases I ended up with soreness in and just below my right knee. My right knee collapses inwards a bit which probably means that I should be sticking with a shoe that offers a fair bit of stability. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been an Asics fan for about 30 years now, going back to the Epirus and the very first Gel Lytes. While I don't require that much stability, I do wear a more stable shoe for long runs. If you would prefer to stick with Asics then definitely give the Gel Kayano a try. Or the GT-2000 series. I have found Asics fitting to be remarkably consistent over the years with a bit more room in the forefoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [Hammer50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to run in the Kayano 10+ years ago. At that time it was a very heavy and inflexible shoe. I hadn't really thought about the Kayano since. Perhaps its time to give it a go. I am sure the 23/24 are light years ahead of what I ran in all those years past. How would the GT-2000 compare to the Kayano?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [Hammer50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer50 wrote:
Gel Kayano a try. Or the GT-2000 series.

This.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kayanos are definitely more of the flagship high cushion with stability shoe - and run the price tag accordingly. The 2000s are dubbed as more of a medium mileage stability trainer but I always found them to have plenty of cushion for runs up to 4-5 hours. I've done ultramarathon training where my primary trainers when running on tires legs were the 2000 series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can pick up the Kayano 23 at a significant price reduction as compared to the 24. Is there any reason to choose the 24 over the 23? If they are pretty much the same shoe, then I might as well purchase the 23 and pocket the savings. Also, do the Kayano's fit true to size? I wear a 10 in most shoes including the Asics Dynaflyte and DS Trainer. When I tried the Brooks Launch I had to size up to a 10.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back when I used the DS Trainer for a performance shoe, I used the Kayano for my every day - long run shoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't run in the Kayano 23 or 24 so am not sure about sizing but currently alternate between the 33 M-2 and the Gel Flux 4 and both run my very typical 10.5 size with no issues at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics Nimbus
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the Nimbus a neutral shoe? I have been experimenting with several neutral shoes without success.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the Saucony Guide? Would that be a more cushioned complement to the DS Trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
How about the Saucony Guide? Would that be a more cushioned complement to the DS Trainer?
You might try the Saucony Breakthu 2 or 3, a nice light(er)weight trainer with "mild" support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A more comparable shoe rather than the Launch would be the Ravenna. The DS trainer is a mild stability shoe the Launch is a neutral shoe as is the ghost.

For a stability shoe in that category maybe the NB Prism or the NB Zantee for a neutral shoe or the Adidas tempo for stability or boston if you go neutral. For more cushioning move up to the GT 2000 -5 from Asics

Not specifically to the OP, I really don't get the whole light weight trainer shoe for day in day out running. But maybe that's bc I see a ton of runners who have gone that route and get injured all the time then wonder why. If more people just ran in shoes that felt good and didn't worry about drop or weight they'd probably be better off. But hey what do I know?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 7, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point I definitely am looking at a supportive shoe to complement the DS Trainer. Every few years I cannot stop myself from trying a few popular neutral shoes. in this case the Dynaflyte, Launch and Ghost. Nagging issues with my right knee is invariably the outcome. You'd think I would learn. I'm going to test the Kayano (probably too much shoe for me) and per your recommendations the GT 2000-5 as well as the New Balance Prism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you try the GT-2000 -4 or -5 be aware you may need to size up half a size. The toe box got smaller with the -4 and I needed to go from an 11.5 to a 12. I wore 11.5 in the -1 through -3. Judging by the reviews on Amazon I'm not alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also look at the Adidas Tempo and Supernova ST, maybe the Mizuno Wave catalyst 2 (I think they are on 2, maybe 3) & Wave Inspire.
If you wanted light weight and high cushion look at the Hoka Arahi.

Let's see what else, hmm, oh Saucony Guide, I think the Omni would be too much shoe for you but you might like it. Brook Ravenna 8. Brooks Adrenaline although to me it's a very firm shoe, which I liked and didn't like. Haven't tried the latest model other than wearing it around the store for a few minutes.

You could try the Asics GT 1000 if you wanted a little less medial posting or the GT 3000 if you're more of a late phase pronantor. I've heard some good things about 361 shoes, that they feel a lot like Asics but I've not gotten my hands on them yet. (ShawnF if you're reading this, send a pair please!!)

I swear I'm forgetting some shoes but since I can't remember that's enough to get you started. If you ever come to Tucson lmk and I'll personally help you get in the right shoe.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am reading this :-)

From 361, I would suggest the 361-Sensation 2 or if you wanted a bit more cushioning/support, then the Strata. Both feature our QU!KFOAM midsoles and are medially posted but still pretty flexible through toe-off. I wouldn't look too closely at the published weights (http://www.361usa.com) because 1) we list real-life actual weights and 2) the weight of these shoes are pretty evenly distributed, so it'll give the shoe a much lighter feel.

I'm around if the OP has questions to specific models. It's usually easier to get a quick response if you send me an email shawn at 361usa dot com (cough, DD, cough)

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [RandallHerbrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandallHerbrand wrote:
Hammer50 wrote:
Gel Kayano a try. Or the GT-2000 series.

This.

I feel like the Kayano is lighter and less cushioned than the DS trainer. Definitely less structured. My fav trainers are

NB Vazee Pace V2
Asics Noosa FF
Skechers Performance Go 6

Also, new DS Trainer 24 is awesome if you have not tried. They have gone back to older models i.e. less structure, lighter, minimalist upper. I feel like the last few versions have been pigs.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I feel like the Kayano is lighter and less cushioned than the DS trainer

Did you get mean to say that the DS trainer is less cushioned and lighter than the Kayano?

The kayano has more cushion, heavier and more posting than the DS trainer.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
I feel like the Kayano is lighter and less cushioned than the DS trainer

Did you get mean to say that the DS trainer is less cushioned and lighter than the Kayano?

The kayano has more cushion, heavier and more posting than the DS trainer.

My mistake, I was thinking of the Kinvara, not the Kayano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the responses. I just ordered the Kayano 23 and the NB Vazee Prism V2. I'll keep the pair that works best for me, and if neither do, it will be on to a couple of different shoes. My go to shoe for faster paced runs is going to remain the DS Trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Isn't the Nimbus a neutral shoe? I have been experimenting with several neutral shoes without success.

Yes, I believe you are correct. However, I tend to suprinate a bit and have found this to be a good shoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to bet you'd like the Kayano even for faster paced runs. The 23 feels lighter more nimble on the foot than the weights say, from my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a more cushioned shoe to complement Asics DS Trainer [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will have the Kayanos on Monday. It will be interesting to see how they feel compared to the DS Trainers that I use most often.
Quote Reply