Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for First Fast Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
OK, I have been doing some tri's for the last year. I got a road bike and now my son is looking to take that over this summer so I am in the market for a Tri Bike. I am partial to Cannondale and looking at the Slice. I currently ride a 50 Caad 9. So I think I would need the 51. I am 5'7" about 155-160. I want a nice fast bike. Looking for suggestions. Our local shop and cannondale said that they are out of the 51 hi-mod for the year so I might have to pick one up on the used market. Any help would be appreciated. I will more than likely unless they are real nice replace the wheels with a set of Williams 58 front / 85 rear. I don't mind spending some money on nice stuff, just want a good value. For racing what component group is the lowest most of you guys would go? My current ride has the 105 which has performed ok I just think I would like something better. Is there much difference between the dura-ace and the ultegra?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for First Fast Tri Bike [cajunrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'7"?

50 sounds a touch small...

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people notice a difference between 105 to dura-ace and between sram and shimano and some people don't. I would not worry about that, it's not going to make you much faster and you'd be better off getting a wheel cover and a comfortable tt helmet. And my suggestion is to find a used classic softride on ebay, not the rocket beam style. Or if you have the money, get a new titanflex. "I believe" The position and comfort on those beam style bikes in a triathlon will save you more time than diamond style bikes. Good luck!

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for First Fast Tri Bike [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well not exactly 5'7" but over 5'6".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much difference between ultegra and dura ace since it is trickle down tech. That said I a
Ways like having best I can afford on my race bike. Go on line for a cannon dale then to look for one if your heart is set on it.

Re: Looking for First Fast Tri Bike [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Not much difference between ultegra and dura ace since it is trickle down tech. That said I a
Ways like having best I can afford on my race bike. Go on line for a cannon dale then to look for one if your heart is set on it.

To the OP:
I just went from Ultregra everything to Dura Ace everything and I noticed it the difference right away. I think that the difference is more than just "not much" ... but then again, the "feel" is all subjective.

I will say that going from an entry level tri bike to the upper echolon of tri bikes is like driving a yugo and driving a BMW. The difference was a lot more than what I expected or had anticipated. If you could afford it, go big ... I'm glad I did.

Quote | Reply
cajunrider wrote:
OK, I have been doing some tri's for the last year. I got a road bike and now my son is looking to take that over this summer so I am in the market for a Tri Bike. I am partial to Cannondale and looking at the Slice. I currently ride a 50 Caad 9. So I think I would need the 51. I am 5'7" about 155-160. I want a nice fast bike. Looking for suggestions. Our local shop and cannondale said that they are out of the 51 hi-mod for the year so I might have to pick one up on the used market. Any help would be appreciated. I will more than likely unless they are real nice replace the wheels with a set of Williams 58 front / 85 rear. I don't mind spending some money on nice stuff, just want a good value. For racing what component group is the lowest most of you guys would go? My current ride has the 105 which has performed ok I just think I would like something better. Is there much difference between the dura-ace and the ultegra?
Thanks

You should be partial to what bike fits you the best. I wanted a Felt B2 a couple of years ago and bought one. Guess what? A long and low framed bike like a Felt was the absolute wrong bike for me. I recently picked up a Trek Speed Concept and it fits like a glove. The Cannondale may indeed fit you well but it may not. It's possible that Trek, Felt, Specialized, Cervelo, etc. fit you better.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for First Fast Tri Bike [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my Slice in and had it put together for me be Mark Miller at Precision Bikes in Lafayette. He then fit me up. Not sure how to post pics. But so far I like the bike. Did about 30 miles on my first ride today. Did a short 1.5 mile run after just to see how I felt. It was a 2009 Slice 3 Hi-Mod with about 200 miles on it with a few upgrades. It seems to be in very nice condition. Need fast racing wheels. Help with that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious, what size bike did you end up with?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for First Fast Tri Bike [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 51. I wish I had the fit pics but Mark Miller said it fit me very nicely. He seemed happy with my fit. The front is as low as possible.
Quote Reply