Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long time reader, first time poster
Quote | Reply
Firstly hello everybody from London. Lets get the sycophantic bits out of the way - damn some of you are impressive athletes.

Last year I stopped lounging around and smoking (40 a day), and signed myself up for a marathon. I completed this last Sunday in just under 4hrs, which on its own is not that great. But I had trained, so I was able to go running/swimming the next day without too much effort.
When I was younger (15 years ago) I rowed for GB as a junior, and after ending up with a messed up back it has taken me a long time to find a sport that I do for fun - that is not to say I don't try, but I know my life does not depend on it.

In Jan I decided to learn to swim so I could do a tri. 1 length at a time (25m pool) using the fast stroke (not the frog one), I am now upto 4 lengths at a time for 44 lengths. 1 month to go until my first sprint...hmm I might struggle with the swim.

Anyhow - I will be ordering some Flo's so that I can pass the first ST entrance exam. (Not rich enough for posh labels).
My partner bought me a K31 helmet as a present, so the bike side of things is good.

Ramble over----anyhow Hello!

Harvey

Engineer, and now doing a doctorate
Last edited by: HowMuchLonger: Apr 20, 14 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Long time reader, first time poster [HowMuchLonger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh and I forgot to say that I bought a Livestrong t-shirt last week (charity shop special).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck and way to make the switch to health!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are you racing Harvey?
Quote Reply
Re: Long time reader, first time poster [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing the amateur version of the ITU London tri on June 1st in Hyde Park. I had signed up to do the Olympic distance and even though I am happy to be out of the water last, I don't think I would have enjoyed it.
Then its the Bristol Tri, and maybe the London Tri in the docklands.
Definitely the Richmond Park duathlon (which I had better be good at).
Then a tough mudder, and possibly doing the Jungfrau marathon.

If you are local to Richmond park, then I am the person on the Cube Aerion (with an XLab Torpedo held on with rubber bands) going up the hills in my aero position (albeit too slow for it to be worth it). I am getting more confident on the aerobars, but not sure of the limit when cornering so I scrub too much speed off there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harvey,
Welcome to tri. As an ex rower myself (used to row in Henley on Thames at Leander 20 yrs ago) I always wonder how fit the boys I use to row with are these days. Rowers tend to really bulk up after getting done. But.. For me... Rowing has given me a lifelong base fitness... As long as I keep active. Have a great time this year. Good luck.

Quote | Reply
Ex Imperial/QT rower.
I lost all my fitness, but one thing that rowing gives you (that I did not appreciate until recently) was the mental strength to say "I can do it" and then push your self to actually do it.

As for weight: 6ft 5 and 12.5st 1 year ago. Post smoking I am now pushing 15st and non of it is podge! I just wish I could have gained that muscle in my 20s.

Tried Bikram Yoga this morning....weird, not tiring but hard bending yourself into unnatural positions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We may cross paths at ExCel (will be in first start wave on Sunday), and will keep a lookout for you in Richmond (Yank lady on a white specialized) -- good luck with your racing, you'll love it, even the swimming!
Quote Reply