Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long time delay between 70.3 and 140.6
Quote | Reply
I will be doing my final race for this year is 70.3 Racine in mid July. It's all because of work schedule and all kinds of life change things. However, I am going to be doing my first IM next year. I am aiming for IM WI or IM Louisville. Since both of these aren't until later in the year (WI Sept Louisville Oct) what are some things that I can do to to start getting ready to make the jump from 70.3 to 140.6? I want to be as competitive as possible but knowing that this is my first IM I am not expecting AG podium finish at all. But would like to finish FOP.

I will be able to get 2 70.3's in before the IM to gauge fitness. (June and August)
Should I just be upping mileage slowly in SBR until 4months out and then get into a structured workout setup?
Don't worry about it and don't eat donuts all day and just get to training 6months before the IM?
maintain 70.3 fitness and get serious again 4-6months out from IM?
Quote Reply
Re: Long time delay between 70.3 and 140.6 [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'd use that time to work on your weakness or limiter. It can be a great thing to have a long training period where you don't need to worry about upcoming race performances.

I'm in a similar situation (A race for year finished this month, and no tris until next June or possible even later), and I'm going to be working on my cycling more. For me, the key to a good IM run isn't run training but bike training. Never anything wrong with a few doughnuts along the road though!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Long time delay between 70.3 and 140.6 [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
Personally, I'd use that time to work on your weakness or limiter. It can be a great thing to have a long training period where you don't need to worry about upcoming race performances.

I'm in a similar situation (A race for year finished this month, and no tris until next June or possible even later), and I'm going to be working on my cycling more. For me, the key to a good IM run isn't run training but bike training. Never anything wrong with a few doughnuts along the road though!

Good point, I will see if I can't get into a masters swim group in my area and see if I can't get my swim efficiency up. and possible gain a little speed without killing myself before I get on the bike.

No, there is never anything wrong with a doughnut here and there along the way. What fun is it if it all work and no play? its a hobby after all, a serious one but a hobby.
Quote Reply