Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long run weekend
Quote | Reply
Working towards a spring marathon
Last week I missed a few mid-week runs, so I had it in my mind to do about ~50kms over the weekend.

In my mind I picked between 2 (sort of random) options

A) 34km saturday at long run pace, a bit slower than marathon pace, and 10-15kms sunday of easy running
B) 25kms saturday around marathon goal pace, and 25kms sunday also around marathon goal pace
normally I would have done 30ish on saturday and relax on sunday.

thoughts on which would have been a better allocation of the kms? I ended up doing B.
Quote Reply
Re: Long run weekend [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rule:

Never try to make up for missed training. You may need to tweak your plan going forward after missing training, but don't pile on miles to get your weekly total in. Really easy way to dig yourself into a hole.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Long run weekend [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seconded. If you miss a workout, sorry, move on.

If you keep trying to cram missed miles you'll be like, "Eh, I can just pile on some miles this weekend." Slippery slope my friend.

Going the other route, armed with the knowledge you'll totally miss the workout, you're more likely to find a way to get it in.

And the quality of your workouts will suffer. You see any article about the pros and their "secret" to success, and once word comes up: "consistency." And missing a workout here and there is totally reasonable considering most people have lives and stuff comes up. One workout here and there won't hurt you much.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as other have said, stick to the plan. dont try to play catch up.

And as a way to boost performance and help me athletes towards a spring marathon, i m a big fan of breaking the long run into 2 runs on the same day. Faster overall pace, faster recovery, bigger PBs.....!!!

good luck!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Long run weekend [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just piling on here. It sucks to miss, but take it as a rest day and move forward. 50km in a weekend is a lot of volume if you're not doing that normally. It really could put you at risk for injury.

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not make it a mileage sandwich?
Sat: 10-12 k; Sun: 30k; Mon: 10-12k
90 % of this should be 10-20 % SLOWer than Marathon pace with just 5-8K in the middle / end of your Sunday run at M pace.
Two 25Ks back-to-back at M pace? Very dangerous and/or not really physically possible (50k @ M pace? Huh?)
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Long run weekend [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I did some more running monday and tuesday and don't feel any out of the ordinary, so luckily no harm done. Next time I'll have to just let it go

- oh "M pace" is just what I perceived my goal pace/effort should feel like. haven't raced a proper marathon yet, so I don't have a magic number of what the pace should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re your marathon pace, you should be able to work it out using a race time over a shorter distance and McMillan or Jack Daniels tables. I've generally found it pretty accurate even extrapolating from a 5k time, although you need to be aware of any limiters you may have (e.g. if your 5k time was achieved without ever going longer than 5 miles in training, you're not going to have the necessary endurance to run a marathon time in line with your 5k)
Quote Reply
Re: Long run weekend [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Rule:

Never try to make up for missed training. You may need to tweak your plan going forward after missing training, but don't pile on miles to get your weekly total in. Really easy way to dig yourself into a hole.

+[Another]1
Quote Reply