Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016.
Quote | Reply
I've heard it will be held in North Carolina, has anybody heard that?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Feb 18, 15 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In recent history LC worlds are held at PM Zofingen in Switzerland.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

Where did you hear that? Or is it wishful thinking?
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The site for 2016 LC World Duathlon was discussed during the last USAT Duathlon Committee call and ITU has not decided.

Bill

Train Hard and Race Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

Where did you hear that? Or is it wishful thinking?

wishful thinking would have it being closer to my front door, not in North Carolina.

Some dude posted something on Duathlon.com's FB page about it being in Cary, NC. Maybe
he's from North Carolina and that's his wishful thinking.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dudaddy wrote:
In recent history LC worlds are held at PM Zofingen in Switzerland.

Exactly. I raced Powerman Zofingen last year which I believe was the 7th straight year they were the official ITU LC duathlon worlds. And their promotional literature suggested they had already been selected for 2015 and 2016 as the world championship. Given their history, it really doesn't make sense to have it anywhere else because if they were delinked, then Powerman Zofingen would still be the defacto world championship in the same way that Kona eclipses the ITU world long course triathlon.

There seems to be some confusion on this thread about whether it's Long Course Nationals or Long Course Worlds. And on another thread there is a discussion about the location of the 2016 ITU duathlon worlds (short course). The 2016 world standard distance duathlon championships have not been announced. So maybe folks are getting confused between the distances. Perhaps Cary, NC could be in the running for the world standard distance duathlon since they successfully hosted the national long course duathlon in 2014...but the distance there (5mi-32mi-5mi) was more standard than long. That would generate a lot of interest in duathlon...if only for a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Cary hosted the 2014 LC Nationals but I would stop short of saying "successfully". There were a lot of complaints about the lack of marshals on the bike course and issues with the run course. Seems like there would be a lot of better alternatives if the US were hosting standard and sprint worlds.

As for PM Zofingen, it is too bad that the ITU hasn't gone back to rotating the LC worlds to other sites for several reasons, one of which they might get much better participation with new locations and slightly shorter distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [tate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granted on both points. I was at Cary last year and part of the run was silly, but also easily fixed. Adding refs can also be done easily. By contrast, Powerman Zofingen was a first class race as well as extraordinarily difficult. Yes, they might get more participation if they rotate it but I don't see any movement on that regard. Starting in 2017, ITU is going to hold a multisport world championship festival where the WCs for duathlon, aquathlon, cross triathlon, and long course triathlon are held within a 10 day period at a rotating location (currently out for bid). Long course duathlon was conspicuously absent from that list which makes me think that it is staying with Zofingen which is the undisputed king of duathlon. I'm a triathlete and Zofingen was a bucket list race. If you can ever make the trip, you won't regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tate wrote:
Yes, Cary hosted the 2014 LC Nationals but I would stop short of saying "successfully". There were a lot of complaints about the lack of marshals on the bike course and issues with the run course. Seems like there would be a lot of better alternatives if the US were hosting standard and sprint worlds.
--

I'd agree on stopping short of saying "successfully". For a national championship race, that event had zero vibe. There were more things wrong than right about the overall take-away from that race.
--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Announcement from USAT today:

USA Triathlon Joins Forces with POWERMAN to Strengthen Duathlon in the U.S.

Schedule for the 2015 Duathlon Race Series announced

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - With aims to elevate duathlon in the United States, USA Triathlon and the International POWERMAN Association have partnered to present top-level run-bike-run events through 2017.
POWERMAN, a global duathlon race organization, specializes in long-distance duathlon events, including their signature POWERMAN Zofingen, which features a 10-kilometer run, 150-kilometer bike and 30-kilometer run and has been held annually since 1989. POWERMAN has increased exposure of duathlon worldwide by hosting events in 14 countries, including Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy and Austria.
Through the agreement, USA Triathlon will sanction all U.S.-based POWERMAN events, including five events that will be part of the 2015 USA Triathlon Duathlon Race Series. The organizations, both considered multisport leaders for the promotion of duathlon, will also benefit from a number of marketing components through the partnership.
USA Triathlon annual members will be eligible for a 20 percent discount at all U.S. POWERMAN events in 2015, with collegiate and military athletes receiving a 50 percent discount. Annual members can access the discount codes at usatriathlon.org/duseries. Additionally, select POWERMAN events will qualify athletes for Team USA, comprised of the nation's top multisport amateur athletes who represent the U.S. at each ITU World Championships event. For example, the top finishers in their respective age groups at POWERMAN Wisconsin on June 7 will qualify for POWERMAN Zofingen on Sept. 6 in Zofingen, Switzerland, which doubles as the 2015 ITU Long Course Duathlon World Championships.
"POWERMAN is excited to create this partnership with USA Triathlon to continue the rebirth of duathlon in North America. This sport is crucial to the development of multisport and is the perfect blend for those seeking to make the step from just running or biking, without the swimming discipline," said Kenny Krell, POWERMAN North America's National Event Director. "This partnership will help grow the sport and bring first-class duathlon events coast to coast in the United States, with the added incentive to qualify for the POWERMAN National and World Championships each year."
The 2015 USA Triathlon Duathlon Race Series kicks off Sunday, Feb. 22, with POWERMAN Arizona in Fountain Hills, Arizona. The series features 16 events, with at least one event in each of USA Triathlon's 10 Regions, and concludes with the POWERMAN North America National Championship on Dec. 13. The series also includes the 2015 USA Triathlon Duathlon National Championships, set for June 6 in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Each event is sanctioned by USA Triathlon and will count toward the popular end-of-year Duathlon National Rankings for USA Triathlon annual members. Awards will be given to the top-three finishers in each age group at the conclusion of the series. Athletes must complete at least two events to be eligible for a series score. Visit usatriathlon.org/duseries for more information on the third annual USA Triathlon Duathlon Race Series, including 2014 series standings.
2015 USA Triathlon Duathlon Race Series
Feb. 22: POWERMAN Arizona, Fountain Hills, Ariz.
March 1: Desert Classic Du, Fountain Hills, Ariz.
March 28: Whistlestop Duathlon, Irondale, Ala.
April 26: Mt. Rainier Du, Enumclaw, Wash.
May 16: Cary Duathlon, Cary, N.C.
May 17: Shamrock Duathlon, Glastonbury, Conn.
May 23: Sartell Apple Duathlon, Sartell, Minn.
June 6: USA Triathlon Duathlon National Championships, St. Paul, Minn.
June 7: POWERMAN Wisconsin, Kenosha, Wis.*
Aug. 2: Tri Indy Duathlon, Indianapolis, Ind.
Aug. 29: Boulder Sunset, Boulder, Colo.
Sept. 27: POWERMAN Michigan, Frankenmuth, Mich.
Oct. 18: Fall Classic Duathlon, Oklahoma City, Okla.
Oct. 18: Longboat Key Duathlon, Longboat Key, Fla.
Nov. 22: POWERMAN Alabama, Foley, Ala.
Dec. 13: POWERMAN North America National Championship, Cocoa Beach, Fla.**

*Qualifies top finishers for Team USA and the 2015 ITU Long Course Duathlon World Championships
**Qualifies top finishers for Team USA and the 2016 ITU Long Course Duathlon World Championships

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI only. Zofingen dates to 1989 but the Long Course Duathlon worlds only goes back to 1997. There was no LC Du championship in 2009 and 2010 so what I said above regarding the past 7 years was wrong. However, Zofingen has hosted 9 times including this year. And in my mind, good or bad, USAT's endorsement further strengthens Zofingen's position for continuing to host in the future. On the other hand, USAT might have requested a US World Championship in return for that endorsement. That would also be good for the sport.

YearDateLocationRace distances (km)Run 1CycleRun 219971 JuneZofingen[6]8.51503019987 JuneZofingen[6]8.5150301999Zofingen[6]8.5150302000Pretoria[7]10601020018 SeptemberVenray[7]15607.52002Weyer[7]147672003Zofingen[7]8.5150302004Fredericia[7]2012010200529 MayBarcis[10]16.58011200628 MayFredericia[25]15907.5200721 OctoberRichmond[26]15807.5200810 AugustGeel[27]187492009201020114 SeptemberZofingen[6]101503020122 SeptemberZofingen[6]101503020138 SeptemberZofingen[6]101503020147 SeptemberZofingen[6]101503020156 SeptemberZofingen[6]1015030
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So where does this race fit in to the series?

USAT Long Course Duathlon Championship: Nov 14, 2015

10K Run / 42K Bike / 5K run
this is posted on dallasmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure USAT will find that to be an EMBARRASSING oversight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't figure that out either assuming 2015 LC Nationals would be a world's qualifier. This is what it says on the USAT website:

The 2015 USAT Long Course Duathlon National Championship in Fort Worth, Texas will qualify athletes for the 2016 Long Course Duathlon World Championship. At the LC Du NC, the top 18 in each age group, rolling down to 25th place after applying the age-up rule, will qualify for the World Championship.

So now they have this and PM FL this year--within a month of each other by the way--as 2016 LC world qualifiers. The PM FL website says they award 3 spots per age group, top 3 overall in addition to some other spots to 2016 worlds. Of course if I remember correctly, at one time 10-15 years ago you were eligible for Zofingen by virtue of finishing a PM event.

Lastly, regarding the PM USA series, I'm glad to see that they connected with USAT and have their events sanctioned. That's one less hurdle now in getting the series off the ground. Good to see they found a way to bring the registration fee down too with the 20% USAT discount. Otherwise their rates were way out of line for duathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like they are making a fine distinction between the National LC Duathlon championship in Texas and the North American championship at Powerman Florida.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just noticed too that though USAT included 5 of the PM events in their 2015 duathlon series, LC Nationals in Texas was left off the list. I can't figure that one out and the folks running the Texas race should be pissed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tate wrote:
Of course if I remember correctly, at one time 10-15 years ago you were eligible for Zofingen by virtue of finishing a PM event.

That ship has apparently sailed. Last year, and I believe it is the same for 2015, there are 3 separate races held at Zofingen:

1) ITU World Long Course Duathlon Championship - entry available only through your national federation
2) Powerman Zofingen Long Course Open Division - exact same race, but open to anyone. No requirement to complete another PM event.
3) Powernan Zofingen Short Course Open Division - 10K-50K-5K vs 10K-150K-30K. Also open to anyone.

For the long course, the results are in separate divisions. So if entered in the open division and were not officially entered by your federation, even if you were the absolute fastest in your AG, you would have only won the open division, not the WC division. Women's WC and Open started together one hour before the men's race (they get 12 hours to complete the course). Men's WC and Men's Open start 2 mins apart (so technically, men's WC get 11 hours and men's open get 10:58 to complete). The short course starts about an hour after all the long course waves are gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tate wrote:
I just noticed too that though USAT included 5 of the PM events in their 2015 duathlon series, LC Nationals in Texas was left off the list. I can't figure that one out and the folks running the Texas race should be pissed.

I live in Texas and have been planning on doing the DFW race for awhile
PM FL was on the radar as something to do and take the Grand Kids to Disney afterward. No way even I qualified would I attempt Zofingen living at sea level would make training impossible for Switzerland.

Am more than confused about what's what actually.

Additionally where is 2016 Du LC Worlds?
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question about 2016. I don't believe that it has been announced, though I would assume they will be at Zofingen. Haven't seen anything definite for 2016 standard and sprint either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this old thread. I still cannot find any information on where the "Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016" are going to be.

I am interested in running the race in Ft Worth in November but would sure like to know where the worlds are just in case fewer than 20 people show up in my age group and I qualify :)

I have heard rumor that it is in North Carolina but others say it will be back in Zofingen.

I hope Zofingen...I left half of my soul on the run course in New Paltz at American Zofingen, I am ready to leave the other half of my soul in Switzerland.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I surfed around the net and could not find any official announcement, however, Powerman Phillipines (November 2015) is advertising themselves as a qualifier for the 2016 Long Course Duathlon World Championship in Zofingen. See the very bottom of this webpage: http://powermanph.com/news.html Even if that turns out to be inaccurate, you can - and should - still go. I can't imagine any other location having the cache'.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im going to guess it will be Zofingen in 2016. Powerman and the ITU have a working realationnship for long course duathlon so hard to see it change. I'm racing Zofingen in 2016 ether way. Dont race itu cats and TA dont believe in LC duathon.

hoppersportsperformance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [hotshot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if they'll announce 2016 worlds location at Zofingen this weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't heard any news yet on if it will or not but I think it will be. the IPA announced a new Powerman Champion series starting next year, which is kinda like a world cup series with the world champs to be the final event and the World Champs every year. I'm friends with the president of the IPA on facebook so if I hear anything I'll post it hear asap. Next years race date it the 4th of September.

Quote Reply
Re: Long Course Duathlon Worlds in 2016. [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its been announced at the race that it will be ITU world champs again next year in 2016. Its in the last couple of paragraphs in the report below

http://www.powerman.ch/...bellec-are-top-again

Quote Reply

Prev Next