Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Liquid Calories
Quote | Reply
I was on a test ride yesterday and way testing my timing for nutrition and how well my system would work for the race. Well, it did work the way that I was hoping. The gel pack takes to long to get back into storage and if I am going fast enough down a descent, It has a habit of jumping right out of the bento box and on the tarmac.

So I am wondering what do you use outside of gels for your nutrition? I would prefer to use something that is something that I just mix into my water bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Calories [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liquid calories are the way to go in my opinion. Also a certain reigning Ironman World Champion shared his nutrition strategy with me this week and it is 99% liquid too for ironman distance.

I use a combination of 32Gi "race" and 32Gi "endure." The race formula is simpler sugars whereas the endurance includes a more complex sugar to release energy more slowly.

I changed to an all liquid strategy and haven't looked back. I mix the concentrate based on maintaining 70g of carbs per hour on the bike and add the concentrate to my BTA. For half ironman, 2 bottles are regular concentration mean I don't have to stop for any aid. For ironman, I will grab water from the aid stations to dilute the concentrate to right level and get enough fluid for the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Infinit has worked great for me. Two concentrated bottles at my first IM and I was good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always put all the gels in one water bottle and just drink from the bottle. I've done thy but currently using maltodextrin and EFS or Osmo for electrolytes and flavor.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorade + carbo pro for the past 6 years including at ironman texas last week - I tried it once, it worked, never changed.

5 scoops = 500 calories plus 100 calories from Gatorade = 600 cal per bottle. I drink half a bottle every hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had success with 99% liquid nutrition -- and I keep it simple -- I use the sports drink available on the course (Gatorade Endurance/Perform). Most of my IMs have been in hot weather so I would adjust to less liquid if it were a really cool day.

BTW,my bento (Dark Speed) has a zipper on it, so whatever nutrition I put in there does not bounce out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have also been liquid for years and love it. Infinit. And there are other options. I have never understood why someone would intentionally plan on using unopened gels when you can get the same electrolytes, calories etc in a pre-made drink mix that requires no fumbling at speed. If you feel you have to use gels, premix with water.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 1, 17 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Calories [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Infinit has worked great for me. Two concentrated bottles at my first IM and I was good to go.

If you don't mind me asking, what concentration levels did you use in your bottles?

I am doing some HIM's this year and and next with an IM next year and really want to get this dialed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Hammer Perpetuem almost exclusively and have nothing but good things to say about them. Never had any GI issues (knock on wood) and I can't do a long ride without it. I occasionally supplement with a Honey Stinger gummy chew here and there, but mostly for a change of pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Calories [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
Gatorade + carbo pro for the past 6 years including at ironman texas last week - I tried it once, it worked, never changed.

5 scoops = 500 calories plus 100 calories from Gatorade = 600 cal per bottle. I drink half a bottle every hour.

Do you drink any water aside from that, or does the half bottle every hour keep you hydrated?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a custom blend with about 300 calories per bottle and I double that per bottle. I take around 200 calories per hour and added some stroopwaffels (the real ones from Holland, not Gu or Honey Stinger) when I get sick of liquid stuff. I found I liked having something with a little crunch to it. The custom blend is important b/c you can dial the flavor back a bit so it's not overpowering when you concentrate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Calories [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Do you drink any water aside from that, or does the half bottle every hour keep you hydrated?

Yeah, I get a bottle at every aid station, take a huge drink, spray it all over my back/chest (if it's hot like texas), then toss it in the last-chance garbage
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Calories [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks. Planning on doing something similar - EFS + Carbo pro in bottle, few gulps of water at aid stations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carry two bottles on the bike that I'll consume over a HIM. 360 calories/90 grams of carbs per bottle. Divided between grape juice, honey, green tea, lemon, and I'll add about 900 grams of sodium per bottle with salt stick capsules. Good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I have a custom blend with about 300 calories per bottle and I double that per bottle. I take around 200 calories per hour and added some stroopwaffels (the real ones from Holland, not Gu or Honey Stinger) when I get sick of liquid stuff. I found I liked having something with a little crunch to it. The custom blend is important b/c you can dial the flavor back a bit so it's not overpowering when you concentrate it.

To make sure I am understanding correctly, you are running 600calories per bottle? How many bottles are you carrying?

I was looking at their custom blends as well. Figured I would start with a pre-set formula so I know what I need to adjust from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Calories [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I have also been liquid for years and love it. Infinit. And there are other options. I have never understood why someone would intentionally plan on using unopened gels when you can get the same electrolytes, calories etc in a pre-made drink mix that requires no fumbling at speed. If you feel you have to use gels, premix with water.

I just purchased (Infinit) some of the single serve packs to see how my body responds to it and adjust a custom blend from there. I did the gels for a couple of years because I was racing Olys and that was all I knew and it worked so I didn't bother to look for anything different. I am so glad that I am not going to be fussing with gels on the bike anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct...600 calories per bottle. Two on the bike, one in special needs. I started with their Go Far formula to make sure it worked for me and then tweaked it from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Correct...600 calories per bottle. Two on the bike, one in special needs. I started with their Go Far formula to make sure it worked for me and then tweaked it from there.

^Awesome^

I ordered some earlier today and will be doing the same thing.

Thank you everyone for your input. Now to go dominate the roads......... or at least go ride them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
This has gotten me through 3 IMs. Two concentrated bottles, each 750-800 calories.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Calories [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:

This has gotten me through 3 IMs. Two concentrated bottles, each 750-800 calories.

So do you keep one concentrate bottle on the bike for each half of the bike, and keep another bottle on with plain water and refill the water at aid stations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:

So do you keep one concentrate bottle on the bike for each half of the bike, and keep another bottle on with plain water and refill the water at aid stations?
Yes, I start with one aero bottle on the downtube and pick up the 2nd in SN. Then I just keep water in my BTA and refill that at the aid stations. So never more than 2 bottles on my bike at any time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two scoops EFS 3-4 scoops of Carbopro, 3 Salt Stick tabs

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in to second (or third) the motion for Infinit. Coach set me up with a custom blend a few years ago that has served me very well.

A word of caution on using concentrated bottles.....I royally screwed this up in my first IM by falling behind on supplemental water. A HOT day + concentrated formula in the gut = disaster.

Since then, I've adopted the KISS plan of 1 (325 cal) bottle per hour + water (heavy sweat rate). IME, the bottle penalty < nutrition fail penalty.

Ps; yes, I practiced my concentration plan in training and failed nonetheless.

YMMV,

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More (from Infinit) on concentration strategies here:

https://vimeo.com/90502076
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Calories [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
A word of caution on using concentrated bottles.....I royally screwed this up in my first IM by falling behind on supplemental water. A HOT day + concentrated formula in the gut = disaster.

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep this in mind.
Quote Reply

Prev Next