Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Liposuction to aid performance?
Quote | Reply
This is goofy but I always wondered this.

If you got liposuction I assume it would increase your VO2 max and make you faster...especially on the run.

Anyone ever heard of someone doing this? My thought is if you think of it someone, somewhere is doing it....
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how it would increase your VO2 max, but it would certainly improve any of your "per kilogram" numbers.

Side note: my insurer covers lipo as a "medically necessary" procedure, but has thrice rejected my coverage preapproval request for jaw surgery to correct a congenital deformity that causes malocclusion and TMJ pain on the grounds that it is a "cosmetic procedure." It makes sense if you don't think about it.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know where I ran across this but there is a process now called "coolsculpting". Supposedly liposuction without the healing time.

cliff notes: Fat cells are frozed which kills them and then the body disposes of them (or something like that)

http://www.byrdaesthetic.com/...olsculpting-atlanta/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the fat was there before it will only return. Liposuction is for rich, lazy people.
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will improve the body-weight normalized VO2max... but the amount of oxygen you can actually process should not change. It would certainly be an effective method of improving running very quickly, however even after lipo that person will probably still be BOP because clearly they were not training before. I doubt there are many athletes who are thinking about lipo as a performance improver (rather than looks/"health" improver) because there are not many athletes who have enough fat to suck out in the first place...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have thought of this in the past. I think that being obese in childhood and adolescence can cause an increase in the number of fat cells in the body. I was obese through my childhood; up until about 5 years ago. It seems that I have a hard time getting rid of my fat stores on my abdomen, and I can pack on weight at an insane rate if I am not extremely careful about what I eat. I have had a hell of a time trying to break through 13% body fat; I don't know for sure, but my flabometer tells me that those extra 15 lbs keeping me from "ideal" race weight are extra fat cells wrapped around my middle.
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [joey8legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will not help. Lipo removes fat cells that will not grow back. However remining fat cells can grow biger if you keep over eating. Lipo is for body sculpting not for over all weight loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not directly. Less mass, same power= faster. May feel compelled to work harder, which could improveno2 max. If you were a lot heavier, you could be carrying around excess skin. In theory, flapping skin could rob watts from an aero perspective as well as vibration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I agree it is goofy. But as long as we are going in this direction I have to inquire. If a female has implants will they slow her down as well as make her less aero?
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe less aero, or perhaps even more aero depending on size. I wonder about the answer for this one.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri297 wrote:
I believe less aero, or perhaps even more aero depending on size. I wonder about the answer for this one.
lol :)
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [Triback] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't it possible NOT to gain the weight back lost in Lipo?....

based on the responses it looks like it will make you faster as long as you keep the weight off...

I have seen some very fast triathletes who could lose 10-20 lbs...

I guess somewhere in the world this person is getting lipo to take off 10 lbs to look better and go faster.....and no TUE required......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there could be an aftermarket for triathletes with liposuction throw away fat cells injected into the legs to correct bad body positions in the water for non-wetsuit races. Fat is ultra buoyant right? $1000 per leg pre-race? Then $2000 to suck the fat back out post-race so as not to effect the body fat ratio? It's only $4 grand?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'd make you more aero at least wouldn't it?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

maybe if you sculpted it for that purpose, but getting skinnier sometimes makes you less aero.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

maybe if you sculpted it for that purpose, but getting skinnier sometimes makes you less aero.

Sounds like a John Cobbism to me. Bear claws all around!

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ty wrote:
Ok I agree it is goofy. But as long as we are going in this direction I have to inquire. If a female has implants will they slow her down as well as make her less aero?

might aid her swim position - they float
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ty wrote:

aerocamp reported that boobs were unaero

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quite possibly...or it may make her legs sink, but i imagine it wouldnt be like having a pull-bouy between the sweater cows
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
regardless I always think they would get in the way on the bike
I will stick to my Victoria's Secret explants - boobs when I want them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Ty wrote:

Now those pictures I would love to see.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Liposuction is for rich, lazy people.

I'm lazy, but not rich does that mean I can only get one thigh done?

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Liposuction to aid performance? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
Quote:
Liposuction is for rich, lazy people.

I'm lazy, but not rich does that mean I can only get one thigh done?

Haha, why yes it does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Isn't it possible NOT to gain the weight back lost in Lipo?....

Sure, if you eat at a calorie level to maintain the new weight. But if you're gonna do that anyway, you might as well just do that from the get-go and lose weight that way rather than get lipo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Ty wrote:

But the aero penalty is worth it because they are fun to play with.
Quote Reply

Prev Next