Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders "Kona Block" Reverse Engineered [Dennis Cottreau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, like I said, it will be interesting to see what he changes next year trying to make the next step. Will he add more volume or will others transition more to his end of the spectrum? //

I'm of the mind he doesn't need to do one single different thing in his training, if fact if he does he is taking a big risk. What he has now is plenty to win the race, what he needs to change is nutrition and pacing. And since his swimming is already on a nice curve of improvement, that would be the one place he could get some time in without really changing training hours. You just get faster and thus can do faster intervals. I'm sure in the other two sports he is right up against a wall on getting any faster, just need to execute on race day to go as fast as his training has gotten him.

All he has to do is go over this race he just did in Kona and he can find several places where he lost time from pacing and/or nutrition. Certainly enough that he can believe he could have one on that day, a record day to boot. Leave it all alone Lionel, you are fine. Pace the bike better, get some downhill skills, and get a watch that works so you don't go out in a marathon like it is a 10k. All that gets you under 8 hours on the same conditions(but don't count on those once in a generation to happen again)
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders "Kona Block" Reverse Engineered [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I read that next year he just needs to stay with Wurf until the end and then with a strong run he can hold Lange at bay, I think it does not work like that. That was this years race. Next year will be next year. Different conditions, different guys that have off days, other guys that might have the day of their life.

So this year everyone thought about beating Frodo. And then he wasn't even a factor. Who tells us that Wurf will be up there with his A game. Frodo will be back. Someone else will have a great day and everything leads to different scenarios.

I guess Dave Scott had it right when he said that too many guys try to win last years race.

But I agree that Sanders should keep doing what has made him such a force. And I think he is good enough to win in every scenario.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders "Kona Block" Reverse Engineered [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I agree, like I said, it will be interesting to see what he changes next year trying to make the next step. Will he add more volume or will others transition more to his end of the spectrum? //

I'm of the mind he doesn't need to do one single different thing in his training, if fact if he does he is taking a big risk. What he has now is plenty to win the race, what he needs to change is nutrition and pacing. And since his swimming is already on a nice curve of improvement, that would be the one place he could get some time in without really changing training hours. You just get faster and thus can do faster intervals. I'm sure in the other two sports he is right up against a wall on getting any faster, just need to execute on race day to go as fast as his training has gotten him.

All he has to do is go over this race he just did in Kona and he can find several places where he lost time from pacing and/or nutrition. Certainly enough that he can believe he could have one on that day, a record day to boot. Leave it all alone Lionel, you are fine. Pace the bike better, get some downhill skills, and get a watch that works so you don't go out in a marathon like it is a 10k. All that gets you under 8 hours on the same conditions(but don't count on those once in a generation to happen again)

nicely said
to add age is in his favour and he should still make a bit of progress in the long distance by just getting another year under his belt.
the only thing he might want to consider is to increse his ROM a little bit ( just a tiny bit)
Quote Reply

Prev Next