Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lionel Sander and Cody Beals Still Supporting Grass Roots Racing
Quote | Reply
As many of you know both Lionel and Cody raced with and were members of our Ambassador Team when they were starting to race and had the goal of being pro triathletes. Well we all know how that has been going so far and we are proud that we could be part of their respective journeys.

There have been may posts over the past year or so, some started by yours truly, on the decline of participation at the regional/local race level. In fact there is a live thread on that topic right now. We are continually trying to think of ways to get people interested in the sport and ways to help it grow. I wanted to share a little of the personal side and how classy these two guys are and that they have not forgotten they still have a home up here. Even with their busy schedules both Cody and Lionel continue to try and help the sport at the grass roots and here are two examples.

Lionel contacted me a week or so ago and asked if he could race with us in our series opener in Woodstock on Saturday June 11. This will be a big deal for many of the athletes who will be participating in the same sprint race that weekend. What is really nice is that Lionel will also be making himself available to be part of the Pre-Race briefing we will be conducting for the Give-It-A-Tri (400m/10k/2.5k). This is a race that is typically filled with first timers or people who are new to the sport. To have a prospective world champion racing with one group and then talking with our other new racers is a great gesture.

Cody was also in touch about two weeks ago and has offered to make a big personal time commitment to our July 9th race at Belwood. Cody will be at our race about two hours in advance and not only will be conducting a pre-race clinic but will be in transition helping athletes get set up, answering specific questions and providing tips. How many athletes have the opportunity to interact with an athlete of Cody's calibre?

That's it...I just wanted people to know the these two young men are very classy guys who have not forgotten their roots and prove it by still offering to help and be involved.

They have both mentioned, and we are still hoping their respective schedules will line-up, that they might be able to use the Niagara Falls Barrelman as a head-to-head match-up. I think Lionel might use it as a tune-up for some big October race, in Hawaii of all places.

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander and Cody Beals Still Supporting Grass Roots Racing [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear that Lionel and Cody are still supporting their own roots. I have been supporting grass roots racing and continue to do and will continue to do. Some RDs are more willing to value us, some not so much. Here is a piece I did last year highlighting why I like racing these small races and the benefits they provide:

Best Midwest Triathlon Races

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander and Cody Beals Still Supporting Grass Roots Racing [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are quality guys, well done! They also know they are getting quality races and chocolate milk at the finish line!! All good!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander and Cody Beals Still Supporting Grass Roots Racing [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Southern Ontario has been lucky to have so many race series survive and thrive over the years, though I have a feeling it's getting harder.
I have raced (and participated) here for over twenty years and never felt any overwhelming need to go elsewhere to race.
And when I have it usually has not been a better experience.

If the ITU ever decides to race in southern Ontario I hope to heaven they use a local race director,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!

Lionel better watch out for my freshly-stretched MCL, as it permits my leg to not only bend forward and back, but sideways as well. I'm sure it'll be a big advantage for me on the run, assuming I get running before he finishes.

I love the woodstock race - great weather, a great run course, and nice and close to my house :-)

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander and Cody Beals Still Supporting Grass Roots Racing [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Good to hear that Lionel and Cody are still supporting their own roots. I have been supporting grass roots racing and continue to do and will continue to do.

Best Midwest Triathlon Races

That's great.

I've done some regional Sprint races in Aus where some of the ITU guys and gals have raced as well, adds to the atmosphere and it's great to see how fast they are.
Quote Reply