Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up
Quote | Reply
Today brings yet another enjoyable introspective blog entry from Lionel Sanders for us to dissect.

https://lsanderstri.com/2017/01/18/pucon-70-3/

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jan 19, 17 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read it and was curious about the tv coverage info. Said it was live for all of SA to watch. That's impressive.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Today brings yet another enjoyable introspective blog entry from Lionel Sanders for us to dissect.

https://lsanderstri.com/

I wonder about that tire explosion. I still believe the open tubular design with cotton based clinchers can easily slip off the bead of rims, especially in hot humid conditions.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I read it and was curious about the tv coverage info. Said it was live for all of SA to watch. That's impressive.

I did not hear any of this here in Brazil, just knew about the race because I follow Lionel and received an email of a sports travel agency back in 2016.
Last edited by: Jonny89: Jan 19, 17 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I wonder about that tire explosion. I still believe the open tubular design with cotton based clinchers can easily slip off the bead of rims, especially in hot humid conditions.[/quote]

I believe that he has switched to the 4000s 2 even though he was on the Corsas - could be wrong though... Edit to ad: 4000s are not open tubular design - are they? clincher v open tubular differences are not my forte

That said, I'm going to go look at pictures after I send this :) Edit to ad: they were 4000s on the IG pic.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Jan 19, 17 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like he is making some dents on his swim performance.

When I saw it was a 28:10 I thought "Same old LS. Announces things have clicked but then goes back to his same old performance times".

But that was before knowing that the swim had a lap transition of about 100m running.

Great for him to be able to bridge up to a group and great that he feels comfortable in that group. Swimming 15th in division compared with 20th, 25th or last when the difference is swimming with the 2nd group vs being a straggler is a big move forward.

Seems a big block for him has been the concept of taking 'any advice at all' so great he is swimming with a club on top of working with Tilbury Davis and others.

I will have to read the stuff about muscle recruitment and bike position again. Seems like there is a fair difference in setup this year to last year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPIEMT7B4Lf/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGMgFDdkaZ4/
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

I wonder about that tire explosion. I still believe the open tubular design with cotton based clinchers can easily slip off the bead of rims, especially in hot humid conditions.

I believe that he has switched to the 4000s 2 even though he was on the Corsas - could be wrong though... Edit to ad: 4000s are not open tubular design - are they? clincher v open tubular differences are not my forte

That said, I'm going to go look at pictures after I send this :) Edit to ad: they were 4000s on the IG pic.

Brent[/quote]
I couldn't tell from the picture. Looked like maybe he was on a Turbo cotton on the back. Contis are blown rubber and the rubber is stickier and I believe it helps creates a tighter seal with the hook.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
sciguy wrote:

https://lsanderstri.com/

Over the years I've had a number of tires delaminate. Most were on the trainer but at least couple on the road. If not caught soon enough they went from lumpity bumpity to boom. That sure sounds like what happened to Lionel.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like he may have switched to a Cobb saddle.

His instagram picture shows the ISM road he's been riding, but the twitter pic from that chilean pro of t2 looks like it's got a green Cobb saddle.

I'd be interested to hear why he changed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The post-race press conference was an interesting experience. There had to have been 20 or 30 microphones all jumbled together on the table. I felt like I was at a post UFC press conference, or one of the “big 4 sports” in North America.

Does he know how to count? In N.A - NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB. He could argue that NHL should be exempt from the list, but as a Canadian, I doubt he would make that argument - and it would be wrong, anyway. The other three are non-negotiable. And if you wanted to identify the next most popular sport (or the most popular sport, depending on your metric), then it would be NASCAR, not UFC.

Anyway, people will say I'm unnecessarily giving him shit. But it's the same lack of attention to detail that I think hurts him on more important things - like "oh, hey, my PM calibration is completely different than any other number I've seen - must be NBD!", or "this camelback probably doesn't cost too many watts, right?".

i will say i am happy he has gotten a coach/"advisor", because, i do actually want to see him succeed. it is just frustrating how headstrong he has been about everything.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he was saying UFC *or* the big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL).

Actually, I think your attention to detail is in question here, haha. I admire your dedication to find things to complain about with him, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
I think he was saying UFC *or* the big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL).

Actually, I think your attention to detail is in question here, haha. I admire your dedication to find things to complain about with him, though.

Yes, trying super hard to find something to ride him about I think.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I 100% meant UFC AND the big 4. This type of comment is precisely why I do not come on Slowtwitch anymore. How's that for detail?

http://www.lsanderstri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [LSandersTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSandersTri wrote:
Yes, I 100% meant UFC AND the big 4. This type of comment is precisely why I do not come on Slowtwitch anymore. How's that for detail?

Ironically, your type of witty rejoinder is precisely why so many of us keep coming back to Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSandersTri wrote:

And this type of comment is precisely why you are the favorite triathlete of Slowtwitch. You don't take crap and you put in hard work.
Last edited by: Sheeks175: Jan 19, 17 17:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah. Are you serious? Wow. This is a stretch even for ST.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations! i was there cheering and you ran like a freak. 1:16 on that course is unbelievable (i think only colucci had done that before)

wouldn't it be nice to see it become a 70.3 worlds?

hope to see you again down here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
Quote:
The post-race press conference was an interesting experience. There had to have been 20 or 30 microphones all jumbled together on the table. I felt like I was at a post UFC press conference, or one of the “big 4 sports” in North America.

Does he know how to count? In N.A - NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB. He could argue that NHL should be exempt from the list, but as a Canadian, I doubt he would make that argument - and it would be wrong, anyway. The other three are non-negotiable. And if you wanted to identify the next most popular sport (or the most popular sport, depending on your metric), then it would be NASCAR, not UFC.

Anyway, people will say I'm unnecessarily giving him shit. But it's the same lack of attention to detail that I think hurts him on more important things - like "oh, hey, my PM calibration is completely different than any other number I've seen - must be NBD!", or "this camelback probably doesn't cost too many watts, right?".

i will say i am happy he has gotten a coach/"advisor", because, i do actually want to see him succeed. it is just frustrating how headstrong he has been about everything.

Bit of a douche comment. Learn to read, buddy.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [elcartelduco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful place, awesome spectators, great volunteers and a nice course. Really fantastic on those dimensions

However, logistics leave much to improve and the drafting was the worst I have ever seen. Probably mix of too few motos/officials and participants' deliberately drafting in big packs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
Quote:

What a stupid thing to get riled up on. Jesus Christ, guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Lionel is willing to come to ST to discuss things even after taking a ton of shit. Cut the guy some slack as it is making himself available to us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSandersTri wrote:

As I think is clear from all the responses in this thread, that dude is a douche. You're probably the most beloved triathlete on Slowtwitch, which is why people want to see you do so well. Keep it up...you're still a young man in this endurance game.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Pucon 70.3 write up [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome race and RR - big fan

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fair enough. i apologize for my earlier remarks regarding the typo, as i'm clearly the idiot here who can't read.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSandersTri wrote:

If it weren't for you coming on Slowtwitch, your fan base, your marketability, your public persona -- and by extension a chunk of your income -- would shrink materially, especially given that you do not perform all that well in the few races the non-Slowtwitch masses actual watch (70.3 World's, Kona). So there's nothing charitable about your involvement here; it's in your self interest to participate whether you realize it or not.

Butt hurt about a condescending remark on an internet forum? Boo hoo. Welcome to the internet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next