Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lionel's 2017 Kona blog is available
Quote | Reply
Lionel, Sebastion , Cameron, Patrick and the rest of male field really put on a great show this year. After reading Lionel's new blog entry I'm already looking forward to next year.

https://lsanderstri.com/2017/10/19/kona-2017/

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2017 Kona blog is available [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love to hear how he loves it all. And how he is motivated even more because he was passed at mile 23. I love how he gives it up to Lange.
At the end of the day he loves what he is doing every day. It is no chore, he is living his dream.
But I do enjoy a good blog post and what he is thinking/going through each step of the way. I wish he had given us just a bit more insight.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2017 Kona blog is available [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt it’ll be fuel for the fire. I was surprised at the lack of volume in his training.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also love how he averaged 16 hours a week and maxed at 25. Hell I'm and age grouper and have had 25 hour weeks, well maybe week. But just goes to show it's training smarter and not always longer.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2017 Kona blog is available [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was surprised at the relatively low volume—especially on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2017 Kona blog is available [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did swim a crap ton. So volume might be lower depending on how he timed his swims. He seems like he'd use a 920 which would give him swim time. But he might use the clock. Who knows! Either way I'm sure he has plenty of hours of rehab/recovery built in too along with his many complete rest days.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
note: highest daily CTL average was 182

Mind

Blown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's talked about how he's fascinated about the science of how to train and how to get faster. I'm the same way (albeit unbelievably slower) and it makes every workout, every race, every moment just fascinating and so much fun. How is that guy faster than me? What is he doing? How can I do that? Should I do that? If I do that, what will it wreck? The mystery of the magic is like an endless Tetris puzzle as you try to solve what makes your body improve the most. As long as he's got somebody better than him, he's going to be like a pitt bull with a lab coat on. Gotta love it.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He did swim a crap ton. So volume might be lower depending on how he timed his swims. He seems like he'd use a 920 which would give him swim time. But he might use the clock. Who knows!

He swims in an endless pool, so I guess he must use the clock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really suprised at the 'low' bike hours. Would have thought that het put at lesst double the volume into his bike training.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2017 Kona blog is available [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:
Really suprised at the 'low' bike hours. Would have thought that het put at lesst double the volume into his bike training.

I would bet the number of quality bike hours he does is miles ahead of what most can do.

Doesn't he do most of his training at a pretty high intensity?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2017 Kona blog is available [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:

I wonder if his base from his years of much higher volume is carrying him this year? I know very little about the specifics of optimal tri training, but in my past running career, runners would often have a great year on low volume after a number of years of killing themselves on high volume.

The problem is that if they didn't up the volume again, their base eventually eroded and they got slower.

I am certainly not presuming to offer advice on the training of LS, just interested in observing what works for different people and what doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His run stats translate to 3'51" per k (6'12" per mile), which seems fast to me. Makes me wonder if those numbers really include everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanna know what he said to Lange at the finish line, too bad he didn't mention this in his post.
Quote Reply