Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant
Quote | Reply
Moderately windy day here, around 30C. Lionel seems to have set the bike course record and this includes times from Frodo-Kienle-Gomes from 70.3 WC. The guy headed out for the first 10k of the bike like he was chasing Bradley Wiggins on the world hour record...46 kph vs 41/42 kph. The guy is on fire!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Moderately windy day here, around 30C. Lionel seems to have set the bike course record and this includes times from Frodo-Kienle-Gomes from 70.3 WC. The guy headed out for the first 10k of the bike like he was chasing Bradley Wiggins on the world hour record...46 kph vs 41/42 kph. The guy is on fire![/quote

To be truthful, I am a little surprised he didn't go even faster given his great power and better aerodynamics from last year, but as always Colonel Sanders does not disappoint.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Moderately windy day here, around 30C. Lionel seems to have set the bike course record and this includes times from Frodo-Kienle-Gomes from 70.3 WC. The guy headed out for the first 10k of the bike like he was chasing Bradley Wiggins on the world hour record...46 kph vs 41/42 kph. The guy is on fire![/quote

To be truthful, I am a little surprised he didn't go even faster given his great power and better aerodynamics from last year, but as always Colonel Sanders does not disappoint.

I was up really early this morning and road on the other side of the highway (not the race course lanes, but where the highway traffic is re routed). It was already quite windy out there around 7 am. Judging from the bike splits of my age group peers, their times are a touch slower across the board from the last few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Given he ran a pedestrian (for Sanders) 1:15, maybe it was a "C" race he just trained through it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about the pro's, but I think most AG'ers were slower this year. Wind on the way back in on the highway was strong, and f'ing hot on the run. My legs went into meltdown at km 17 of the run, had my worst time in 5 years, yet my best placing....
oh, heard there was a big crash at the bottom of lac superior? 5-10 people down, ambulance, etc? Hopefully folks are OK.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Jun 26, 16 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Given he ran a pedestrian (for Sanders) 1:15, maybe it was a "C" race he just trained through it.

I think it was hot so that played a major factor. The race doesn't start to 8am I believe. With that being said, we saw Lionel's best running when he was chasing doing Starky and had some serious runway to make up.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sorta like the colonels swim today! He's knocking on the 25:xx door. PB for him today I wonder?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I saw a BestBikeSplit.com article that they had calculated his time to be sub 2. Not sure of the Colonel hit his powernumbers but yeah maybe the windy conditions played their part.

Here's that BBS link: https://www.bestbikesplit.com/client/42799
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched an interview after the race where he commented on having another race in 3 weeks so he did not want to go too deep.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I saw a BestBikeSplit.com article that they had calculated his time to be sub 2. Not sure of the Colonel hit his powernumbers but yeah maybe the windy conditions played their part.

Here's that BBS link: https://www.bestbikesplit.com/client/42799

My understanding from his own words in another thread was that he hadn't (at that time) made all of the recommended changes to his position…he was adjusting to it and thought it might take a bit of time to get there, so he still might not be at .230 CDA or whatever was in the thread.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Don't know about the pro's, but I think most AG'ers were slower this year. Wind on the way back in on the highway was strong, and f'ing hot on the run. My legs went into meltdown at km 17 of the run, had my worst time in 5 years, yet my best placing....
oh, heard there was a big crash at the bottom of lac superior? 5-10 people down, ambulance, etc? Hopefully folks are OK.

I saw the athletes down. I must have just missed the crash. It was a nasty one for sure. A lot of blood and people it's laying there.

I hear it was an initial crash, then more riders ran into the first ones that went down.

Hopefully everyone is ok and there are no "serious" injuries
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [smoore89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crash was due to the heat affecting a freshly re-paved section of the bike course.

28C at 11am, and got hotter as the day went on.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffips wrote:
Crash was due to the heat affecting a freshly re-paved section of the bike course.

Sorry for the athletes that went down. How did the heat affect things in terms of causing a crash. Was there a turn on the pavement that was hot and oily? I can't think of a single turn coming down from Duplesis. It's mainly a swerving downhill, but no turns. Even an oily patch of short tarmac should not have affected traction as you'd be over it in a millisecond. If you can share the details it would be good to understand. The reason I ask is we have several athletes going there weekly for training and might be worth putting out a warning especially if we have rain on that new pavement and it's just a an oil slick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slightly off topic but anyone know if he is wearing a 1 piece or 2 piece LG suit. Hard to tell from the picture on the front page. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He posted a photo on his Instagram the other day and it looks like he's back riding in the position he was in before they did all that work. Hard to tell from one blurry still shot but he looks kind of curled up again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ffips wrote:

Sorry for the athletes that went down. How did the heat affect things in terms of causing a crash. Was there a turn on the pavement that was hot and oily? I can't think of a single turn coming down from Duplesis. It's mainly a swerving downhill, but no turns. Even an oily patch of short tarmac should not have affected traction as you'd be over it in a millisecond. If you can share the details it would be good to understand. The reason I ask is we have several athletes going there weekly for training and might be worth putting out a warning especially if we have rain on that new pavement and it's just a an oil slick.

I was told that there was a bump in the road. This was on a downhill section on the way back, not far from the turnaround, so I could see how an unexpected bump would cause a crash.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not notice anything at all wrong with the road or pavement on Duplessi, nor any other part of the course! I did note that when I was coming down Duplessis there were huge numbers heading up, and figured that could make for a scary ride down for those folks. With high speeds, everyone in aerobars, and crowded conditions, it only takes a little wobble by someone to set off a chain reaction crash. Hope nobody was seriously hurt!

MAO Elite Team
http://www.markallenonline.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a few minutes behind the crash. Pretty scary !!! I can confirm, there definitely was a bump in the road that was "hidden" and ants to see I hit it as I was descending pretty fast and the first thought (after of $hit haha) was "yup, This would cause a crash". It's sudden and easy to get loose once you hit it. I am bigger guy and moved me alittle, I could see it knocking some light guys way off balance. There were alot of medical needs out there from severe cramping to passing out in the run. Saw lots of people on the side of the road with ice on stretchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
He posted a photo on his Instagram the other day and it looks like he's back riding in the position he was in before they did all that work. Hard to tell from one blurry still shot but he looks kind of curled up again

Yup... Old habits.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, he's lower than that. Shorter cranks have changed his position in a way that nothing else could have.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look too bad:

Last edited by: Impulse-Warp: Jun 27, 16 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [Sicilia24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hit that bump too! It scared me as hell! I never thought I could do freestyle with me IA. When I finally hit the road again, my rear wheel went crazy and I had to breath deeply and hold my bars tight to stay up on my bike. They need to fix it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Some possible better insights here from the man himself, on the refinements and fine-tuning he has done with the bike this year.

This was an impromptu and on-the-fly interview I did with Lionel, as we waited for the results to be fully ready at the recent Woodstock, triathlon. Part of the Multisport Canada, ReCharge With Milk Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlolzT1MjRU

It was great to see one of the best long-course racers in the world, out racing at a local race!! #RaceLocal

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 27, 16 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's 2:02 bike split at 70.3 Tremblant [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Dev,

Some possible better insights here from the man himself, on the refinements and fine-tuning he has done with the bike this year.

This was an impromptu and on-the-fly interview I did with Lionel, as we waited for the results to be fully ready at the recent Woodstock, triathlon. Part of the Multisport Canada, ReCharge With Milk Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlolzT1MjRU

It was great to see one of the best long-course racers in the world, out racing at a local race!! #RaceLocal

Thanks for this Steve....a day later based on talking with most of the guys who were a lot slower this year on the bike that bike split is better than the 2:02 looks (not that it looks bad)!
Quote Reply

Prev Next