Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lincoln, NE Triathletes?
Quote | Reply
I might end up moving to Lincoln in the next 4 months so trying to gauge if I will be able to continue with triathlon or if I will need to go ahead and convert to drinking light beer and yelling "Huskers" as my full time hobby.

Any triathletes in Lincoln? I have been searching the internet and it looks like Lincoln is pretty dead for triathlon activity (a few sprint races in the area each summer). Omaha has a little but even there is looks pretty grim. I know there are a few ride meet ups, a limited masters swim program and a running club that is pretty impressive - however I am not finding anything specific to triathlon. I don't do much triathlon group stuff here, but thought it might be a good way to get to know people out there.

In reality, I do most my training solo here anyway, but it is nice to occasionally hop in a group ride, go to masters and just see familiar faces out at the races. I guess all my indoor rides will finally make sense!
Quote Reply
Re: Lincoln, NE Triathletes? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents live in Lincoln and have so for a long time. I keep looking for events to do when I travel home and always come up short... sorry :( There might be some local ones that I can't find however.

You might want to check out option in Kansas City or Iowa. KC is only 3 hours away and usually has a lot of options if you're up for a quick weekend road trip.

The good news is, there are a lot of empty roads for you to bike on...

Lincoln is a nice town overall though. It is a college town so always something going on.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Lincoln, NE Triathletes? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My inlaws are there so I have been there a number of times. I was able to find a number of sprints and they have a sort of State Championship triathlon in Lincoln that's between a sprint and oly distance.

I guess I will just be the weirdo from Southern California out running in tights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masters swimming has traditionally been a good place to find triathletes:

Link to the Masters Swim program at the Downtown YMCA.
The coach is a USAT level 2 Tri Coach and triathlete. I've emailed him for more info about triathletes, bike shops, clubs, etc
http://www.ymcalincoln.org/...chure.pdf?1431017932
Info on the Nebraska Aquatics Masters is a bit buried on their site, but here's the workout schedule for the team:
http://www.nebraskaaquatics.com/...na&_stabid_=4950
Nebraska State Games Triathlon will also be in Lincoln this year:
http://www.sga2015.com/triathlon
Sport Specific Questions: Contact USA Triathlon Certified Race Director and Certified USA Triathlon Level II Coach Gary Bredehoft, CSCS at 402-560-8280 or coach@tigercoaching.com.

Will you be in NE permanently, or is this temporary?
Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Lincoln and Omaha have lots of good athletes.

Check out teamnebraska.org.
Gary at Tiger Coaching is also a great resource.
Also, a lot of races over in Iowa.
Quote Reply
Re: Lincoln, NE Triathletes? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the stars align and everything works out, the idea is it will be permanent. My wife's ongoing cancer battle coupled with concerns about the local schools/area have my wife really considering moving home for the first time since she moved out here 17 years ago. I am on board, but will need to quickly start getting out and meeting people to avoid going stir crazy since I would be working from home.
Quote Reply
Re: Lincoln, NE Triathletes? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. I found tiger coaching and will contact the coach if we end up out there. I will have to get used to the idea of making "quick trips" to Iowa, Colorado, Kansas! Been spoiled having everything within 100 miles of me for so long, although the drive time is probably about equal with all the traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from Lincoln but now live in Chicago (note the username and "3" for 3 sports). All of my family still lives there. It's a great place to live--very friendly, simple, cheap, clean living and no bs. Pioneer park and Holmes lake for running. Check out Prairie Life Center on 70th St for a nice indoor and outdoor pool. Biking - lots of great country roads and try the road to Roca. Finding tri races is a challenge. Kansas 70.3 is the closest IM branded race within driving distance. Great place to live - you will love it! If I could find a job I would go back in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply