Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Liggett
Quote | Reply
I love watching the tdf and record every stage. I'm not even much of a biker, but the tdf is really special to me. The beautiful imagery of France coupled with Phil Liggett's soothing commentary is meditative and hypnotic. Love it!

Anyone else feel this way?
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elevate yourself to the zen of Sean Kelly
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is he on tv?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
I love watching the tdf and record every stage. I'm not even much of a biker, but the tdf is really special to me. The beautiful imagery of France coupled with Phil Liggett's soothing commentary is meditative and hypnotic. Love it!

Yup... 100%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
Is he on tv?

Eurosport.

America's only 2x world champion is also featured on Eurosport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now if only Liggett knew how to actually read a bike race. You'd think after this many years...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:

Me

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liggett can't hold a candle to the late David Duffield's meandering prose.... Usually he'd be talking about a nice cheese he had in a particular area of France just when the key move of the race is happening.

The Duffers was awesome....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Now if only Liggett knew how to actually read a bike race. You'd think after this many years...

I'm convinced he and Sherwen are dead and they re-use spliced commentary.
Seriously, their expressions are so clichéd and over-used.
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind the cliched prose so much, it's just Liggett's constant confusion. I enjoyed how after Cav's first sprint win (by half a bike length), Liggett was confused who won and said we'd have to go to the tape. And constantly confusing riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:

Was this supposed to be in pink? Liggett's soothing commentary? My goodness. Like nails on a chalkboard!

Give Eurosport a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffips wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I'm convinced he and Sherwen are dead and they re-use spliced commentary.
Seriously, their expressions are so clichéd and over-used.

Precisely!

Not to mention Liggett's calls are wrong more often than not.
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:

Me

X3. I will miss them (Liggett & Sherwen) when they are gone.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil Liggett is like Phil Rizzuto; he's way past his prime, he's messing up a lot of calls, forgetting names, but when he breaks out one of his classic phrases it's gold.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His commentary is familiar in the way that a drunk uncle's rants about the gov'ment is sort of institutional banter you know and tolerate. Thanksgiving isn't the same without that uncle, but in truth you could do without him. Liggett is, for lack of better options, the voice of cycling for a generation. He did commentary when Greg Lemond was racing, for crying out loud.

The commentary of Sean Kelly is so much better, but you need to get a feed of Eurosport for it. The guy reads the race and knows the riders much better. He also calls the bullshit when he sees it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
elevate yourself to the zen of Sean Kelly

I remember when he first started and he was practically catatonic. He's gotten really good, he clearly knows the riders in and out, knows what's going on in the race, etc.

Phil's problems start with not being able to recognize a significant percentage of the riders, let alone knowing them. This causes or is compounded by him not being able to recognize what he's looking at (the break, the back of the peloton, etc.) Then there is Phil and Paul always trying to make it seem so dramatic, even when it's not, e.g. the bunch rolling in on today's stage.
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil has clearly lost his fastball, but his voice and catchphrases remain iconic enough for those of us who started watching pro cycling in the 80s & 90s that he's still the voice in my head when I'm imagining the phantom commentary out on my own rides. That sort of mythic seasoning will continue to endure, having survived the taint of Lance's ignominious stank, and even as his actual performance continues succumbing to the frailty of age.

Sherwen, on the other hand, has no such redeeming cachet, and I wish he would get crushed by a falling anvil, Wile E. Coyote-style. Fuck that dope. He pretty much encapsulates everything that's wrong with Phil as well, but in an even more cloying manner and without any of the offsetting positive legacy.
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Phil has clearly lost his fastball, but his voice and catchphrases remain iconic enough for those of us who started watching pro cycling in the 80s & 90s that he's still the voice in my head when I'm imagining the phantom commentary out on my own rides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7T2iuGjjc

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is absolutely brilliant!!
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Phil Liggett is like Phil Rizzuto; he's way past his prime, he's messing up a lot of calls, forgetting names, but when he breaks out one of his classic phrases it's gold.

100% agree.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jens is pretty good at that, but even then he's been fallible on a couple o' stages already

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, look at the damage being done on this thread... you guys are literally turning yourselves inside out!

--
Paul Lantinga
Sable WaterOptics from See Worthy
paul@sablewateroptics.com
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [Paul Lantinga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Lantinga wrote:
I mean, look at the damage being done on this thread... you guys are literally turning yourselves inside out!

I just snorted my coffee over my desk. thanks for that....NOT

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Liggett [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
I don't mind the cliched prose so much, it's just Liggett's constant confusion. I enjoyed how after Cav's first sprint win (by half a bike length), Liggett was confused who won and said we'd have to go to the tape. And constantly confusing riders.

I just enjoy how Jens and Christian gently correct him every time they are on air with him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next