Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [SlowFred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try not to listen to what Starky says about other athletes. And I guess he does not need to listen what I say about him. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drugged up or not, LA seemed to do OK in tri after retiring from biking, albeit he did have some background in tri before going full-time on the bike.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
No offense to Starky, I'm a fan of his, but that's pretty rich coming from a guy who regularly blew up on the run.

So, he is an expert... Lets wait and see if Talansky can even qualify for Kona before we start discussing him winning it. There are a couple of good stories on Talansky and lack of maturity. His mental toughness seems pretty hit or miss and Vaughters is not especially glowing in his review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SlowFred wrote:
Some hot takes on Andrew Talansky's transition from WorldTour cycling to Ironman

http://www.velonews.com/2017/10/analysis/will-talansky-thrive-at-ironman-the-pros-weigh-in_450145

"The top guys at Ironman have been training at loads that far exceed what he’s been doing. Just racing cycling may have handicapped him because your body can only cycle so much. If you’re doing biking, swimming, and running, you can do far more combined work with all three. He will have a big engine relative to age groupers. But compared to professionals? I don’t think so."
- Andrew Starykowicz

"He’s 28 so he’s actually really young in Ironman years."
- Chris Lieto

Right, because that's what we saw when Lance returned to triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the same article, to balance out the "it'll work because Lance did it".

Chann McRae came in and everyone thought this Postal guy is going to kill it, and it didn’t happen. He was a lightweight climber and the Ironman effort was different. The road guys are accustomed to riding hard for four or five hours. There’s a lot of cruising. When you’re done, you’re done.
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/...#JUSCYKMagxMsM6US.99

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, i bought MU in 1999. Rode it to the bottom and sold it off at about $25 a few years ago, thinking it would never come back. Dumb ass!
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I was wondering if the Canyon thing was Canyon bringing on a high profile US athlete at the same time they're trying to startup selling bikes to folks in the US.

Probably

Might mean they actually ship some product to the US.

You guys must be bored hearing about it, what is it a year since they announced ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the only safe statement that can be made about Talansky and triathlon is that cycling will NOT be a weakness for him. Beyond that...well...let's just watch and see what happens. There is a lot of latitude in what might happen. The sport is certainly mature enough at this point that NOBODY is going to crack the top 10 elite men or women without putting in some serious multisport time and suffering.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
desert dude wrote:
that read was a waste of the digital space it took up

That's OK, Micron (NASDAQ: MU) is thanking everyone who wastes digital space.....their stock up 100% or so this year thanks to surging memory business and their position in that market globally.....keep wasting digital space guys!!! The more the better!

hoorah! i have micron stock, so please please please, use more digital space!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to like Starky, I really do. He just makes it so hard when he opens up his mouth. The guy is such an insufferable gas bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
I want to like Starky, I really do. He just makes it so hard when he opens up his mouth. The guy is such an insufferable gas bag.

Agreed. I watch him ride a bike and I admire it. I hear his story and it gives me the feels. Then I hear him talk about this stuff and think he is a classless moron. Let Talansky do some racing and leave the opinions to yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Maybe one cannot take Starky literally, but what he said is that Talansky will not be able to handle the same overall volume as top pro triathletes - not just that his bike volume and performance will suffer. He seems to inddicate that throwing running into the mix has allowed long time triathletes to get in even more volume than pro tour cyclists when cycling is actually much less punishing and most could put in a lot more volume cycling than running.

I find that to be a startling comment, but he likes to throw bombs and get people talking.

I wonder if Starky has ever seen the CTL of a pro tour rider before making his comment about not being able to handle the volume of a pro triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next