Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Levi's GranFondo Ride!
Quote | Reply
I signed up for Levi's GranFondo in Northern California. The ride has (11) route options, all of which are supposed to be pretty epic.

Has anyone here done this ride before? How was it? Which route did you do?

The downside is that it's expensive to participate (Even though I keep hearing "It's WORTH IT!").

If you plan on signing up do it before Sept 1st with this discount code and get 15% off. Full disclosure, I also get $20 towards a jersey for referring you.
Discount Code: 347518910-fr1E&d_

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing other Slowtwitcher's experience with this ride!
I'm debating between the "Medio" (60 miles with 3,000' climbing) and the "Gran" (104 miles with 9,000' climbing)
Quote Reply
Re: Levi's GranFondo Ride! [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I have done the Gran (103 mi and ~9k climibing) and the Medio (I think 60 mi if I recall).

Gran: is awesome, we did it 3 years ago with perfect weather and it was worth every penny. When you line up its a sh*t ton of people that spread out right away. I was in shape but live in a flat place and it was hard....(resume: 5 ironmans sub 12 and 11hrs, triathlon for 20 years and a Cat 4 almost 3 road racer...a while...um ago, meaning I am over 40 (gulp)

Last year did the Medio as my out of shape brother needed a goal, it was nice but not the same. In short do the Gran if you can hack it. The medio was pretty but no big climbs and small numbers once the gran route peels off so just not the same overall feel. And kings ridge is great.

Hope that helps, I am signed up already for the Gran again this year, am in shape, am supper excited and will be hard either way. Am for sure taking my compact cranks and light bike.

Let me know if you need more than that.

Ian

P.S. if it rains, oh shit that is going to be a long day in the 'suck'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So awesome that after completely voluntarily confessing to doping (only once in his career, mind you, being forced to dope by Armstrong and Bruyneel) Levi is now giving back to the sport with this event, showing us all what is possible if we come clean!

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Levi's GranFondo Ride! [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Yes I have done the Gran (103 mi and ~9k climibing) and the Medio (I think 60 mi if I recall).

Gran: is awesome, we did it 3 years ago with perfect weather and it was worth every penny. When you line up its a sh*t ton of people that spread out right away. I was in shape but live in a flat place and it was hard....(resume: 5 ironmans sub 12 and 11hrs, triathlon for 20 years and a Cat 4 almost 3 road racer...a while...um ago, meaning I am over 40 (gulp)

Last year did the Medio as my out of shape brother needed a goal, it was nice but not the same. In short do the Gran if you can hack it. The medio was pretty but no big climbs and small numbers once the gran route peels off so just not the same overall feel. And kings ridge is great.

Hope that helps, I am signed up already for the Gran again this year, am in shape, am supper excited and will be hard either way. Am for sure taking my compact cranks and light bike.

Let me know if you need more than that.

Ian

P.S. if it rains, oh shit that is going to be a long day in the 'suck'

Ian, I think you just convinced me to do the Gran. I did the Devil's Slide Ride recently and loved it, but I hear Levi's Gran is even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AND anyone under 24 can register for free! Tell your local clubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
opting to do the Jensie this year again... just like last year.

The main reason is Levi's gran takes a lot of me.. I can't really enjoy myself once I'm back. If I did it again, I would do a shorter route and not go for the full 100+. Even with the Jensie I'm moving down to the 70 mile ride, so I can enjoy the festivities a little more.

Also the past years I've been stuck just behind the bad accidents on the descent @ Levis'.. and it's no fun waiting and hour at a rest stop and trying to get back into riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil's Fondo.

More climbing.

More cookies.
Quote Reply
Re: Levi's GranFondo Ride! [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Phil's Fondo.

More climbing.

More cookies.

Choc Chip... sounds about right...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Levi's Gran like the third year. Did the standard route, no gravel.
Hardest ride I've ever done. Couldn't get my shoes off without cramping. Got in so late in the dark, only got some cold paella.
Didn't help that it rained hard for about 5 hours. A ton of people sagged at the rest stop after Jenner. I went on and did the Coleman Road climb. Man, that is an asskicker ~80 miles in.
At the time, they said it was about 6k of climbing, they have now owned up to it being 9k.
It's no joke with climbs of 15-18% and descents of 18-20%.
There's one real hairball descent by a creek with a 90° left turn. Marshalls were trying to get everyone to walk down it. In the rain with roadie shoes everyone just fell on their ass. I was on a canti braked CX bike with MTB cleats. Couldn't even stop to dismount if I wanted, I just drifted down it.
Turns out they were trying to stop us because a woman had gone over the edge, she died later that day.
I would go back to do it, if I could swing the time and travel budget.
If you have the balls, go for the Panzer.
Quote Reply