Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>then i can think of a lot of great triathlete men who'll be happy to offer her a balanced, reciprocal relationship.<<

Or, a number of Ironwomen who can offer her husband the same as he wants. Just throwing that out there.

>>based solely on what she's written<<

But we all know there are two sides to every story.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Or, a number of Ironwomen who can offer her husband the same as he wants. Just throwing that out there."

whatever floats your boat. i have rarely seen that work, where both husband and wife are hard at it for 25hr a week. i'm not saying it can't, i've just rarely seen it. i don't know if i've ever seen it. somebody always ends up sacrificing his/her gig for the other, and even then, it wears thin after awhile. i'm sure he can find a nice doormat who'll take it for the long haul. otoh, if he's retired, and has no need to work, and 25hr a week of training is what he does instead of working, i think that's okay. and i think it's okay if he does that every third year, of every other year. but when it's 45hr a week of work and 25hr of training, and no energy left over, year after year, that's rough on the S.O. i can see her point. or his point, if he's the one mowing the lawn, doing the dishes, watching reruns of i love lucy every night by himself.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [Hurricane Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your story.

Grant

Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [do140.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG that was me! Amazing how doing *everything* still pisses your spouse off eh? Sheesh.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [IronWidow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact is that people change of the course of a marriage. Clearly he has found this new hobby and it doesn't leave alot of time or motivation for anything else. Sad fact, he's addicted to Ironman, and it's probably NOT going to change, ultimatum or not.

As a female Ironman who got dumped by her ex-husband who could not accept that fact that I would ALWAYS be a triathlete / or just plain interested in fitness to some extent, (not just Ironman racing, but the fitness lifestyle is part of who I am) and it was not going to change, him, dog, kids, whatever or not, it would always be there. I was a triathlete before we met, and I planned on being one after we got married. No where in my vows did I say I would quit because he didn't like it.

I applaud you for trying to taking up the sport. It's not the easiest thing to do. And it speaks volumes as to you trying to understand his obsession. This sport is not for everyone.

Just because he cannot find the time to contribute, doesn't mean YOU need to pick up the slack. OUTSOURCE it, sister. Handyman, maids, whatever.

And TALK to him. Maybe this post accomplished that, but you need to make sure he understands that it's time for a break. ASK, for a year without IM. But don't take away his access totally. Let him do a few halfs next year. He obviously need for HIS happiness, but ask him to scale it back.

It sounds like the resentment is growing. That is the first step in a slippery slope towards the big D.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's kind of laughable that there are so many folks criticizing IronWidow for being selfish and or influenced by Oprah.

Yeah, why should anyone be criticized for sharing their marital issues on a triathlon internet forum? The nerve of you people....

----------------------------------------------------------

If it's a YMCA pool, the lightning wanders around the locker room naked for an hour, then uses the blow dryer on its junk. -lunchbox
Last edited by: hjghost: Aug 1, 08 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. a lot of your post hit home. Thx for sharing.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what the guy should tell the wife:

Okay Honey... I promise I'll start working on your sex complaints... No promises on the other stuff.

This should be his starting point.
Last edited by: twentysixpoint2: Aug 1, 08 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [twentysixpoint2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Lobb Law, someone tell this sperm receptacle to shut the hell up!

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Bob.

Great stuff from perhaps the best writer in the sport who, really should do more writing.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As a female Ironman who got dumped by her ex-husband who could not accept that fact that I would ALWAYS be a triathlete / or just plain interested in fitness to some extent, (not just Ironman racing, but the fitness lifestyle is part of who I am) and it was not going to change, him, dog, kids, whatever or not, it would always be there. I was a triathlete before we met, and I planned on being one after we got married. No where in my vows did I say I would quit because he didn't like it.
Why in the world did you start dating your ex husband? Didn't learn it first go around eh? ;)

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [kevinp01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 sorry, did i confuse ya, i didn't date him after he split. i got dumped by him, hence he is my ex-husband. i'd never date him again, NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I figured, I just couldn't resist! ;P

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I read this thread I really didn't know if you were serious or not until your 2nd post.

Knowing that you ARE serious, my heart goes out to you.
Your issues need to be dealt with, but they don't necessarily need to be confronted and/or fixed this summer. At this point, let him finish this race and then begin to work on it.
Perhaps his enthusiasm will wane, or he can learn to put more priority in to the marriage--not to mention to develop the tact to stop talking 'shop' with you all the time.

best of luck.

Now in jest I'll offer this: I'll pretend to be your new love interest to make him jealous!
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [NOLEGS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess what it comes down to is that from a multidimensional perspective:

1) A lot of people seem to get injured when they start training more than 15 or so hours per week.
2) Spending more than 15 hours a week typically means compromising other aspects of your life.
3) There are lots of people who train 15 hours a week or less and are kicking your ass, so unless you are a pro or a top AG'er, you should probably focus on better, not more, training.

Yes, 15 hours is somewhat arbitrary, but based on my personal experience and what I have seen happen to other people. Keep in mind, we're talking an average of 2 hours a day of training, in addition to work, commuting, family time, etc. That's quite a lot, really.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but when it's 45hr a week of work and 25hr of training, and no energy left over, year after year, that's rough on the S.O. i can see her point. or his point, if he's the one mowing the lawn, doing the dishes, watching reruns of i love lucy every night by himself.

Dan, I am married to the man you describe, except for the no energy leftover part. I am not doormat. My life does not revolve around him 100%. I have my own interests, we have a "lawn dude" as Joe calls him, and someone that helps with the housework. Joe cooks more than I do. My time is valuable to me for pursuit of my own passions. When our daughter was young, we enjoyed her activities and she participated in BOTH of ours. I have rarely found myself bored or dependent on Joe for my entertainment. I am involved with his scheduling, planning and travel arrangement to feel apart of his "team". We spend a lot of quality time together.

But maybe I am as abnormal as my husband. I don't rate his love by how much time he spends helping me around the house. He still seems to like me, even though I have put on a few pounds after type 1 diabetes did its best to kill me. I learned on this thread that is not normal either. I am sure he could find someone healthier and more attractive.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ohhh man, Ironwidow came in here looking for support only to be shuned by the entire ST world.......... No sympathy in this neck of the woods. ha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
whatever floats your boat. i have rarely seen that work, where both husband and wife are hard at it for 25hr a week. i'm not saying it can't, i've just rarely seen it. i don't know if i've ever seen it. somebody always ends up sacrificing his/her gig for the other, and even then, it wears thin after awhile. i'm sure he can find a nice doormat who'll take it for the long haul. otoh, if he's retired, and has no need to work, and 25hr a week of training is what he does instead of working, i think that's okay. and i think it's okay if he does that every third year, of every other year. but when it's 45hr a week of work and 25hr of training, and no energy left over, year after year, that's rough on the S.O. i can see her point. or his point, if he's the one mowing the lawn, doing the dishes, watching reruns of i love lucy every night by himself.

I always thought I had it pretty good, but after reading this post, I KNOW I do. My wife and I are both fanatical about exercise, though for different reasons. I should also note that we are both in our second marriages, and didn't do the second time around until our late 30s...maybe that has a lot to do with it.... That and we both consciously have chosen not to have children, not to live in a McMansion with all the home issues (have a small townhome in the mountains), have a few disparate groups of friends who are all active in some manner, have the same long range goals, and prefer to cook our own meals. So the only real 'issue' we have is what to do with our running partner when we leave for a long weekend and the weather is too hot or the destination doesn't take dogs (running partner is a Siberian).

We alternate and sacrifice. This year is my year. I train all the time (as does she) but the focus is on me doing two IMs, and numerous other distance traiathons, including three HIMs. She sherpas. So far, I keep PRing (only been doing this for three years...so still getting faster), and her multisport times are not getting faster. She isn't necessarily happy with it, and I get the flack for having the focus on me, but it soon ebbs as we remember that next year is her year for xterra stuff (her run is improving, though!). After November, I get little or no say in what and where we go next year.

Her focus was to qualify for Boston, which she did. Next year I am sherpa. This has worked for us for a few years now, and there is a bit of comfort in it.

The thing that has really made it work, however, is that we actually talked about it. I would wonder how old the OP is, and how long they were together before they started the "American Way" of 2.4 kids, big house, SUVs, kids in everything with front door shuttle service, etc. My first marriage was a horrible failure as I seemed to be doing what came next in life - not what I wanted, and I wasn't honest with anyone.

That changed, and it works now.

My $.02
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you two are a separate category. joe is in a separate category from all other AGers, and you are in a separate category from all other wives and moral supporters of AGers. you two are each exceptional, so i don't count you ;-)

obviously, there's a lot that goes into this. i think if the OP found her man already behaving as he now does, then it's her bad. but if he morphed into this after they were already married, then i think she's got reasonable expectations.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are some big if's. The problem here is that we're getting a completely one-sided story. The way IronWidow tells it she's a great person, great wife, great mom, whoops, I mean "awesome" mom etc. She apparently has no faults, at least none she wants to admit. I'd like to hear her husband's side of things. It could be that IronWidow is not so fun to be around for various reasons. She may have other character flaws. I just don't know and neither does anyone here (except hubby.) I do know that there are two sides to every story and when one person touts how great she is and how one-dimensional her partner is I get bit suspicious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I went thru a very similar period. The worst part was that I traded addictions along the way. I was an alcoholic who put away the bottle and started running.
So, I quit drinking but now I was spending all my time training.

We weren't sure exactly where to go with this because our marriage had improved in so many ways since I quit drinking.

But, as it turns out I only needed to F$#k her really hard, and all the problems went away. We are very happy now.

-
3x Leadville 100 (23:50) PR
Badwater 135 (41:24)
Lean Horse 100 (20:19)
Run Across Colorado 320 miles
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [irishsailsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But, as it turns out I only needed to F$#k her really hard, and all the problems went away. We are very happy now.
Might be one of the greatest things I read all day :D

Quote | Reply
i'll be in canada in oct.

http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [Local Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol... just in time for my birthday!

Quote | Reply