Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons
Quote | Reply
Perhaps because Americans were introduced to triathlons via the Ironman triathlon, few triathlons in the U.S. allow drafting on the bike. On the other hand, many European countries focusing on the Olympics do allow bike drafting. This gives Europeans an advantage. Why don’t we allow drafting in all Olympic and sprint distance triathlons in the U.S.?

European cyclists and triathletes, at all levels, are known for their bike handling. They have more opportunities to race on demanding and small roads. They have more criteriums, track races and cyclocross than we do. European cyclists and triathletes have more experience and the results in the classics, road race sprints and Olympic distance triathlons bear this out. While American cyclists are fine time trial riders and climbers, we seem to lack bike handling skills to compete across the board.

Perhaps the only reason not to draft is there is more risk of a tired triathlete touching a wheel and crashing. That is a risk worth taking as the tired triathlete also has the choice of dropping off and riding at their own pace.

Here are some benefits:

In the triathlon, the U.S. could gain from drafting because it would build physical and tactical skill.

Drafting on the bike would raise the speed of our triathlons. The bike leg would be faster. The swim leg could be faster due to the motivation of staying with the pack and the run with a group of runners starting together is also likely to be faster.

Regardless of age group or gender, triathletes will have the opportunity to compete at a higher level with drafting. Juniors could draft off the professionals to gain experience. Age groupers could also draft to improve their times and chances of finishing. Even two riders riding together in last place would do better pacing each other to the finish.

Policing the no-draft rule is at best a spot check attempt to keep it from happening. Like a speeding ticket, drivers are caught, however we know that most people speeding are not caught. Doing away with the no-draft rule would free up organizers and officials and make it a more level playing field.

If we want to have better Olympic triathlon results, we need more experience here in the U.S. before we send our triathletes to the Olympics.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon in the US is mostly for fat people trying to lose weight and Boomers to feel like they've accomplished something with their lives. Not sure I want to be on the same course with those guys while they're close enough to draft off of me.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Also, with umpteen billion different age groups and other categories racing at a given time it would be tricky to ensure everyone gets a fair race.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be up for trying it. That being said, I think it would be as fair as the system we have now. At least there wouldn't be any cheating though.

Quote | Reply
Do you propose this with TT bikes, or would you ban aero bars? I don't want to encourage large draft packs with everyone sitting down on the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be all for having draft legal as well as non-drafting races.
Remember though that you can't use you cool new TT bike for draft legal racing. Road bikes with shortie aero-bars only for draft legal racing.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dzxc wrote:
Triathlon in the US is mostly for fat people trying to lose weight and Boomers to feel like they've accomplished something with their lives. Not sure I want to be on the same course with those guys while they're close enough to draft off of me.

I agree :/

If you go out to some of the larger Olympic distance events in the U.S, such as Lifetime Chicago, and you look at the field you'll see why races aren't draft legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its only the elite races which are draft legal. In the UK at least all sprint and oly distance races for those who aren't elite are not draft legal. It would be a massive headache to try and organise.

------------------------------------------
http://www.twhatley.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's not.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quit bike racing because I grew tired of other people's mistakes costing me (injuries, equipment, etc.) Not in the least bit interested in bringing drafting to triathlon in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think it would be possible. The racecourse is very narrow to spread out and it would be very dangerous to race.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
IT wrote:
Don't see what this offers, other than the chance for some really spectacular crashes.

Cool, I maybe willing to pay to go watch a Tri I'm not competing in for that! Yes, I'm that guy who watches the Taledegga 500 just for the last 10 laps of that race for the crazy wrecks.

2nd place is the 1st Loser - Ricky Bobby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not draft legal but a 1 m draft zone... and no TT bikes.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
Do you propose this with TT bikes, or would you ban aero bars? I don't want to encourage large draft packs with everyone sitting down on the bars.

The only draft-legal tri I've done was a local-ish sprint last year with racers of all abilities and no added restrictions on bike type... basically we were allowed to ride anything. Plenty of people used their regular tri bikes and it went very well. I'm definitely going to do it again this year. I wish there were more draft-legal races around.

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could live with that..
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would make the sport less of an arms race. It would also acknowledge reality on lapped courses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dzxc wrote:

hmm, most tri's I go to I see a bunch of 8th grade looking "boys" in their 1 piece wrestling outfit and haven't eaten in 2 weeks trying to make weight class and the boomers to busy joining Facebook to pizz off their kids.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Perhaps because Americans were introduced to triathlons via the Ironman triathlon, few triathlons in the U.S. allow drafting on the bike. On the other hand, many European countries focusing on the Olympics do allow bike drafting. This gives Europeans an advantage. Why don’t we allow drafting in all Olympic and sprint distance triathlons in the U.S.?

Look back history. As noted on the ITU website, the first triathlon in San Diego was in 1974. ITU wasn't formed until 15 years later, at which point non-drafting was the standard at all distances. It was only the formation for the Olympics that draft-legal was introduced.

If you look at ITU's rules today, you'll see that all distances for AG racing world-wide are draft-illegal. It's only the Under-23, Junior Elite, and Elite categories that allow drafting, and even then only at the sprint and Olympic distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't say I think it's a good idea.

Bike racing as a sport has some fairly high barriers to entry; even a cat 5 or cit class race can be intimidating and dangerous - scaring a lot of folks ("customers") away. Triathlons CAN be done an any bicycle, and within reason a person bolt upright on a hybrid should still have a decent experience. They'll get passed a lot for sure, but they'll generally feel like they're part of the race. I've done races with some of my wife's friends who did it as a relay - they had a great time. Draft legal will create packs, potentially with folks who have lots of courage but little skill. Someone showing up on the earliest edges of beginner to do a sprint can feel welcomed at a tri; not so much at a bike race. Some of those newbies will become hooked, and put the money into parts and race fees that keep the sport alive.

Also, given that there will still be waves & gaps coming out of the water, I don't see how it would make the race more fair. As it stands now, a triathlon is you vs. clock. Adding drafting makes it possible for teams to form, with folks pacelining. Depending on when/how they form, it could completely wipe out hard earned minutes from winters worth of swim training, for example, as a good swimmer gets caught by a trio of pacelining former cyclists.

One of the reasons I switched from road racing to MTB racing was that I didn't like the dynamic. Strong riders of course stayed at the front, but the races often went to sprinters. MTB racing was better - after the first few miles, it was you versus trail - except for passes which could be a real pain in the back. When I did my first few tri events, it was a revelation. Flat out suffering was rewarded. That same dynamic is generally true in the other two events: swim and run. Personally I like it that way.

Finally - regarding illegal drafting - honestly it doesn't bother me that much. I don't do it, and I've no idea if it's been done to me as I really don't turn around much. I know what kind of race I ran, and at the end of the day I'm going to get a finisher's medal. If I have a great day, maybe a little plastic award. If that is enough for some AG'ers to cheat, then have at it. If they DO get caught, they get the penalty. If they don't, chances are their slot hasn't been earned - and it will show up in the run.

If races start to offer draft-legal classes, maybe that would be a good solution. I'd prefer they go off dead last, maybe 25-30 minutes after the regular AG. That way when they litter up the road the rest of us can still race. If the lead pack is good enough to start overtaking a lot, then the onus is on them to ride as the cyclists they are deciding to act as - pass safely!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See my other post about banning TT bikes. You could restrict wheels to 60/90.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peanut wrote:
IT wrote:

Look back history. As noted on the ITU website, the first triathlon in San Diego was in 1974. ITU wasn't formed until 15 years later, at which point non-drafting was the standard at all distances. It was only the formation for the Olympics that draft-legal was introduced.

If you look at ITU's rules today, you'll see that all distances for AG racing world-wide are draft-illegal. It's only the Under-23, Junior Elite, and Elite categories that allow drafting, and even then only at the sprint and Olympic distances.

Oh snap!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
See my other post about banning TT bikes. You could restrict wheels to 60/90.

I don't see how a 1m drafting zone and road bike only really helps. First, it would make drafting enforcement even harder and people would be rewarded even more for pushing the limit of the drafting zone. You gain much more of a draft being .8 meters behind someone instead of 1 m than you would gain being 6 m instead of 7m. I think officials would also have a harder time telling the difference between 1m and .8m than 6m and 7m.

Second, it does not really save any money. Your wheel rule would not save any money, a set of 404s cost the same as 808s. A tt frame is not really much more than a road frame, look at the price of p3 frame compared to a S5 frame? Or S5 VWD to P5. You think that people race bikes do not spend money bikes? Aero would be just as important under your proposed rules as it is now.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's change the bike drafting rule for Olympic and sprint triathlons [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think some of the triathletes got the memo on "NO" drafting.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply

Prev Next