Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's Talk Gear For Hot Weather Races
Quote | Reply
If you were running a race in hot weather (90+ degrees F) what gear would you be sure to have in your transition bag?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Gear For Hot Weather Races [ride_4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women's stockings...

To put ice in and stick down my back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Visor. However, I've been considering a hat for half-ironmans

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arm coolers for the bike.

Chemical ice pack for the small of my back (dump it at 1st or 2nd bike aid station).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much all my triathlons between April and October take place in that weather.

I've come to the conclusion that a hat, or visor, just restrict airflow to my forehead too much to be comfortable. If the race has ice on the course I might take a hat to put the ice in - but generally I race either bare, or with a tiny sweatband (I also depend on optical glasses, so I can't get those too salt-encrusted).

For the bike leg I dig my sleeved speedsuit covering the shoulders and my longer aerohelmet covering my neck. My helmet tests well with visor, but might ditch it if it's too humid, again to keep my glasses clear from sweat.

If the water is boiling, consider "losing" your swim cap. If you have thick hair it might slow you down significantly, but might help with overheating.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Gear For Hot Weather Races [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was quite a few peoople wearing some type of white longsleeve tech shirt that had pockets on the back (for ice) at Ironman CDA. I think it was made by Pearl Izumi (it wasn't a cycling jersey) but I could be wrong. Andy Potts wore some type of lycra scull cap that would be good put Ice in.

Also there's 'Hand Coolers'; I haven't used them in a race but I've heard of people havin a lot success with them.

http://www.amazon.com/...m-Pads/dp/B00DHY9RKK
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Gear For Hot Weather Races [TX_TRIron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX_TRIron wrote:
There was quite a few peoople wearing some type of white longsleeve tech shirt that had pockets on the back (for ice) at Ironman CDA. I think it was made by Pearl Izumi (it wasn't a cycling jersey) but I could be wrong. Andy Potts wore some type of lycra scull cap that would be good put Ice in.

Also there's 'Hand Coolers'; I haven't used them in a race but I've heard of people havin a lot success with them.

sounds like the DeSoto LS ice pocket shirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hand held water bottle, hat, sun screen, arm coolers
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Gear For Hot Weather Races [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
TX_TRIron wrote:

sounds like the DeSoto LS ice pocket shirt

Wore that De Soto at 90 degree silverman (run only) and cannot recommend it more. Also used one of those chill towels that you snap to make it cold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned the Pearl Izumi cooling bolero for a while, but had never used it until IM CdA this last weekend, and it saved my race on the bike and run, until I got rid of it at mile 22.

On the bike, it kept the sun from burning my shoulders and arms. I kept it and the rest of me soaked for the entire bike ride. My Garmin said the average temperature for the bike ride was 100 degrees, with a peak at 118.4 hitting about 5:30 into the 112 miles, where I still had two hours left to ride.

On the run, I was able to stuff ice into the wrist pockets of the bolero, keeping pulse points cool.

A couple of other adaptations I did for this hot race: Normally I ride with just two bottles, one in each cage, but I knew I'd want more fluid on this ride, so I also went with my 20-ounce Torhans aero drink reservoir on the aero bars. That held refills of the Gatorade Performance. I kept the two cages for water bottles for both drinking and cooling.

As the race went on and got hotter, I'd also put an extra water bottle in the back pocket of my tri top. I tried to use up every bit of water I had on me for cooling and drinking before I got into the next aid station, so that I could leave with a full cargo of Gatorade and water for the next 10 miles or so.

The other thing I did for the heat was to start the race with a throwaway bike bottle full of chilled chicken broth. I've done this with hot chicken broth for cold races, I thought I'd try it with cold broth for a hot race, just to start the ride with that extra hit of fluid and salt. I went through the 24 ounce bottle plus half my Gatorade up front by the time I hit Higgins Point and the first aid station.

One more adaptation I made for the heat was to run with a big bike bottle. Sure, it's heavy, and there are lighter alternatives, but I knew I'd need it. At every aid station, I'd unscrew the wide-mouth top and get a water and ice fill up. I'd also drink water and grab whatever fuel I wanted. Then throughout the next mile, I'd use the bottle to put cool water on my head, arms, legs, whatver, making sure to use it up by the next water station.

Did all this work? I think so. I finished my 5th Ironman race within 4 minutes of my best time and took 4th place in my age group, which is my highest-ever finish at an IM. More importantly, I wasn't in any health distress at any point of the race. Sure, it was hot and exhausting and I took plenty of planned walk breaks and a few unplanned walks up the hills, but I felt no worse off at the finish than I would have in a regular marathon.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the bike bottle on the run. I use it for dousing. Priceless. I'll keep a bottle with ice and one of those hand straps for the bottle. ($5 at walmart) Then, I can just ditch the bottle if I find I don't need it. I run EVERY trail run I do with a bottle in hand though. So I'm used to the added weight. Train with it and you won't even notice it.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Gear For Hot Weather Races [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont' do well in the heat and found that aid stations situated one mile apart is still too far for me to go without hydration so I have historically used a had held bottle or one in a waist holder for a couple of hot ironman distance races (I've even done this for a very hot half). That way I can sip on water every few minutes and keep my core temp down. Also think that arm coolers on the bike can really help in sun protection - if you get too much sun exposure on the bike, your temp can sore on the run and you can't get it back down.
Quote Reply