Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let me have it! what did I do wrong. Stomac caused DNF
Quote | Reply
I will be doing IMFL in 4 weeks, my first IM, and need your help. I have completed six ½ Irondistance races over the past several years without incident, but I DNF’d this past Sunday’s 1/2 IM. 3 hrs pre-race I had a banana and two 250 cal ensures. Felt good except about ½ hour after eating, my stomach felt too full for a few minutes,. Over the course of the 3 hours pre-race, I drank 4 cups of coffee and sipped a ¼ bottle of infinit up to race start. Had a breakfast cereal bar 45 min prior to swim start and a Gu 20 min before swim start.
Completed the swim 5-10 mins faster than expected and felt great almost like the swim course was short. Completed the bike in expected time, pushed a little but overall keep to pace. Sun really came out and it started to get warm on final 15 miles of bike. Consumed 88 oz of water which included 1220 calories of infinit on 3:45 bike, as had planned. HR was right on target during entire bike. Got off bike feeling good, although air temp was up to 86 f and things were warm. Started run ok, ate a carb-boom gel (not my usual gu brand) from the course at mile 1 and sip of coke and little water. Ran as slow as I could, as while running my heart rate was 20-25 BPM higher than a normal run. Stomach started minor uneasiness with a lot of minor belching. Ate another carb-boom gel from course (gel was very warm) at mile 2 and sip of coke and a little water. 15 minutes later stomach let me know it wasn’t happy. Finished first of 2 loop run, started back out for 2nd loop but turned around after a mile, as my stomach just would not allow me to go on. Turned in timing chip while throwing up mucus 3 or 4 times. Sat for a little in shade, had blood pressure checked (little low) and started to feel better ½ hour later in a/c from car. If this had been my "A" race I would have gone back out, but wife was at race and people back home were waiting. Didn't see any benefit from doing the dead-man shuffle any further that day while lowering confidence for my "A" race in 4 weeks.
My History: Spent my first 45 yrs of my almost 60 yrs, as a coach potato until the discovery of severe heart disease. During my …. open heart, quad by-pass, surgery I dedicated myself to being around a little longer for the wife and kids. I quit smoking, after 30 yrs, and dropped the 50-60 lbs. of my previous investment in big macs, twinkes and doughnuts. Started walking for cardio rehab, which led to running, then a little biking and then bit by the Tri Bug. I am very slow, a true BOP. I highly respect the athletes that can race IM but I realize my limitations and I am at peace with myself that I am only a completer not a competer. I need to prove to myself and only to myself, that I can do this.
Ok go ahead and let me have it, be brutal…I need to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Other than HTFU what can I do to prevent a recurrence.

Quote Reply
Re: Let me have it! what did I do wrong. Stomac caused DNF [need2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you do different from the six half iron you did without incident? Also sometimes shit happens.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Let me have it! what did I do wrong. Stomac caused DNF [need2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's the different gel? At least that sounds like the likely culprit. Was anything such as the 4 cups of coffee different than what you normally consume before or during a race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sure is alot of food before the race:

2 ensure bottles, a banana, 4 cups of coffee, 1/2 bottle of infinit, a breakfast cereal bar and a GU before the swim?! Jesus man did you plan on being out there the whole day!

I would cut that back for a 70.3- 1 ensure bottle, maybe 1 cup of coffee, ditch the infinit before the race, bring the cereal bar to morning transition if you are hungry and maybe, and I say maybe the GU before-hand.

The pre-race food you described was more for like a 140.6; do yourself a favor before IMFL, before some of your weekend training, practice your nutrition in the AM. It your issues are truly nutrition related then you want to iron those out before going to Panama City

Congrats on turning around your lifestyle to be more healthy!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could possibly have been a pacing problem coupled with the heat and a different gel than you were used to-- sometimes feeling "great" after the swim and pushing the bike "just a little bit" can do more damage than you'd imagine, especially combined with the heat. Maybe you'd be better off not eating right away on the run, perhaps wait a few miles taking in only water/electrolyte drink to let your stomach settle. How much do you weigh (if you don't feel comfortable answering thats fine)? Almost 1300 calories on the bike sounds like quite a bit to me-- more on par with what you'd see in an IM distance race but if you're a heavier guy it might not be a lot. What is your nutrition on a usual longer bike ride, and have you ever done a brick off of it-- if so, how did it feel?

This may sound stupid, but personally I get sick fr ensure and couldn't possibly stomach it before racing. I'm assuming the pre-race breakfast was usual for you? And the 4 cups of coffee? Did you *ahem* evacuate before the swim start? Like the other posters said, I'd advise a smaller breakfast-- maybe 50-100g of carb, 10-15g lean protein and a small amount of fat (<10g) 3 hours pre-race. Stick to one cup of coffee and have a caffeinated gu, or some simple sugars and a caffeine pill before the swim start.

Other than that-- don't sweat one DNF. Going from couch potato to a six 70.3 finisher is a HUGE accomplishment, and I'm sure you'll do just fine at your IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you push the bike early in the ride or late?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a combo of overeating/drinking + pushing too hard for your body on race day.

The 4 cups of coffee probably didn't help either - even if you're used to that kind of caffeine, it's going to accelerate your GI system, and once you add the stress of "A" race effort, at some point your gut will probably rebel and force you to slow/stop.

1220 calories on the bike also seems like an awful lot to me. I'd definitely vomit on the start of the run if I did that to myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others noted, that is a lot of food, pre-race. And 4 cups of coffee would have had me on the schitter, pronto.

1200+ calories on the bike also seems excessive. I don't think I consumed that many for IMWI....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Let me have it! what did I do wrong. Stomac caused DNF [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:

2 ensure bottles, a banana, 4 cups of coffee, 1/2 bottle of infinit, a breakfast cereal bar and a GU before the swim?! Jesus man did you plan on being out there the whole day!
. . .

That is exactly what I was thinking! A whole lot of food. But I have to add congratulations for your lifestyle change. Good on ya! Your story is pretty inspiring.
But I also agree that you might be being to hard on yourself. I hope you and your wife enjoy the Ironman Florida. Good luck!
Last edited by: Ty: Oct 1, 14 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why ensure? why 4 cups of coffee? why so much? don't do different stuff day of race. you ate too much and weird stuff too. and not enough water before the too many calories on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there a lot of reasons why bad races happen to good people.

1. you did something different in your buildup/pre-race(do you normally eat a weeks worth of groceries before race start?)
2. the conditions were different (you mentioned it was hot)
3. the course was different (more hills than usual?)

When you consume food, your stomach uses lotsa blood to digest and distribute the food to your body. When you exercise, your muscles demand lotsa blood to do the work you're asking them to do. Stomach issues and or muscle issues (cramps) are sometimes a sign that you've got the balance of where the blood goes, wrong.

since you said you swam fast, I think you may have tipped towards too much effort (even if it didn't feel like it) and your stomach rebelled by not processing the food fast enough. If say you're intaking food at 500 cal/hour, but only processing at 200 cal/hr, you're gunna get a backlog of food. Eventually your body will emphatically know that you're doing it wrong :-)

I have found over the years, that for me, I have to monitor my HR very carefully. In training I need to find out what I can sustain, and on race day, stick to it (+/- 5bpm) or I will go too hard, get stomach problems, cramp or just plain bonk. I also have to monitor my calorie intake and monitor how I feel. My race routine is very simple. Simple, light pre race meal, a coffee and an energy drink say 2 hours prior. 2 gels before swim start. On the bike and the run, one large drink bottle of water per hour, regadless of conditions (no more, no less) and one gel every 25 minutes. I finish races at about 1kg lighter than race start and other than feeling shattered because I raced, I feel fine.

In your case, since your race result was different, look at what inputs were different. Find the difference and never do that again :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, be thankful that you had this happen during a HIM instead of at IMFL. As others have stated, you did something new on race day and took in too many calories before the start and on the bike. Good luck in Florida!!

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mistake= gel+ coke. it s one or the other with water.

You got in trouble and keep taking on more calories when you simply has to go on water for 10-15min and you would have been back to normal.

It s very simple.... there is no such thing as stomach shutting down. You just need to mix things eight and recognise when you have put too much in....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You had me at 4 cups of coffee. So many things wrong with taking in that much caffeine that early. You increase the acidity in your stomach, suffer the diuretic effects when you need to retain liquids on a hot day, and jack up your HR at a time when you don't need any more stimulation (swim start is the time to calm down the HR). Then there's the crash you get a few hours afterwards, while you are still racing. If you can stand it, hold off on your caffeine consumption until at least after T1.

http://bringonthepaincave.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear of the DNF, and I applaud your honesty and openness in bringing it up here as well as giving us your background info.

I’ll pretty much echo the others: seems like waaaay too many calories for a half. I love coffee too, but four cups pre-race? Sounds like a very bad idea.

Is it possible you are driven a little too much by calorie counting? Get a rough plan based on foods you like and have tolerated in training, and go a little more by feel, and less by calculations.

I weigh 185, and my IM (not 70.3) plan is something like this:

Pre-race: 2 decent sized bowls of oatmeal, probably toast and/or banana. One cup coffee.

Pre-swim: Maybe a little Gatorade, maybe nothing.

Bike: Two bottles on bike with about 500 calories each. The rest of bike calories from aid stations. Bars, bananas, Gatorade, whatever. Water as needed of course.

Run: A little Coke, maybe a few pretzels, maybe an orange. Coke might start at mile 1, or maybe mile 10. But once I start I usually stay with it to the finish.

Good luck at IMFL. It’s a great race. Well produced in every way.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Let me have it! what did I do wrong. Stomac caused DNF [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Run For Money said. It really seems like a lot of calories pre race and a lot on the bike. I take around 700-800 calories on the bike for a half. I am 175 pounds.

What is your weight? That might help factor in calories needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was an article here recently about eating only 3 hours before an endurance event. i had a half a week ago sunday also and ate a banana around 1am (cause i woke up starving and couldn't sleep) and then nothing (except black coffee, but i drink coffee like people breathe air) until after the swim when i already can't remember what i had. likely got started on teh dulci gomas. over the entire bike i had 1 bottle of gatorade and half a package of dulci gomas (like gummies i guess) and about 1/4 package of coconut cookies along with a bottle of skratch. on the run i had half a package of cytomax drop things and gatorade/pepsi on the course. i wasn't hungry until a few hours after i finished and then inhaled some salbutes at a local dive with lime water.

personally, along with everyone else here (it seems) I think you overate, but i also might be able to perform on very little food (which is why i included it above).

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Let me have it! what did I do wrong. Stomac caused DNF [lippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lippy wrote:
You had me at 4 cups of coffee. So many things wrong with taking in that much caffeine that early. You increase the acidity in your stomach, suffer the diuretic effects when you need to retain liquids on a hot day, and jack up your HR at a time when you don't need any more stimulation (swim start is the time to calm down the HR). Then there's the crash you get a few hours afterwards, while you are still racing. If you can stand it, hold off on your caffeine consumption until at least after T1.

really? what if you normally drink, say, 8-10 cups a day? wouldn't a minimum of 2 cups before the event be no problem? also i think the diuretic effect has been debunked - caffiene just makes you empty your bladder faster (IIRC)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that warmer than other races and training? To cool your body more blood goes to the skin. To digest more blood goes to the stomach. To go fast more blood goes to the muscles.

Go fast on a warm day and your stomach isn't going to be able to process as efficienlty.

As Johnny O says. Slow down and take plain water. You can usually gets things strightened out.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:

I would cut that back for a 70.3- 1 ensure bottle, maybe 1 cup of coffee, ditch the infinit before the race, bring the cereal bar to morning transition if you are hungry and maybe, and I say maybe the GU before-hand.

The pre-race food you described was more for like a 140.6; do yourself a favor before IMFL, before some of your weekend training, practice your nutrition in the AM. It your issues are truly nutrition related then you want to iron those out before going to Panama City

Congrats on turning around your lifestyle to be more healthy!!

This. I almost barfed just reading that.

Race morning breakfast should be the same as training morning breakfast. That is like eating a huge meal right before going to work out.

For me, it's a bowl of cereal, a coffee, maybe an english muffin with PB and honey. Same as every weekend!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:

This. At our age (I'm 60), you really need to focus on your nutrition equation (Initial Glycogen Stores - Calories Expended + (Calories Supplemented - Calories Processed) + Triglyceride Calories = Caloric Deficit Per Hour)/Duration of Event = Glycogen Depletion. That is, by now you should know how many calories per hour your body can process while under stress (most athletes greatly overestimate this), and have a general idea of how effectively your body dumps triglycerides to supplement glycogen levels. Absent that understanding, a change in conditions (sun coming out, weather getting colder, etc.) means you'll not be able to adjust for race conditions.

From your OP, I'd suspect you took too many calories in and your body couldn't process them, leading to GI distress.
Quote Reply
Re: Let me have it! what did I do wrong. Stomac caused DNF [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you normally drink 8-10 cups per day then you have bigger issues to worry about. That said, even the more hardened coffee drinkers aren't immune to the energy spikes and crashes associate with caffeine. That's not to say caffeine should be avoided - it can be a powerful race tool if used appropriately. I just don't understand why you would want to elevate your heart rate 3 hours before a race. If you save it for late in the bike or on the run, when your HR is naturally dropping, that is the ideal time to introduce a stimulant to your body.

http://bringonthepaincave.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Let me have it! what did I do wrong. Stomac caused DNF [lippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lippy wrote:
If you normally drink 8-10 cups per day then you have bigger issues to worry about. That said, even the more hardened coffee drinkers aren't immune to the energy spikes and crashes associate with caffeine. That's not to say caffeine should be avoided - it can be a powerful race tool if used appropriately. I just don't understand why you would want to elevate your heart rate 3 hours before a race. If you save it for late in the bike or on the run, when your HR is naturally dropping, that is the ideal time to introduce a stimulant to your body.

it isn;t a case of elevating my hr - honestly i don't think caffiene does ANYTHING for me. course, i'm on inhaled steroids also and can go 4 puffs without feeling any effects. i'll try an experiment tomorrow of HR before and after coffee. for me it is just a part of the morning even on race day. and i really don't find spikes and crashes throughout the day at all (especially from caffiene) but i'm the least objective person to rate that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. I now know I over ate and will not do that again. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
need2tri wrote:
I will be doing IMFL in 4 weeks, my first IM, and need your help. I have completed six ½ Irondistance races over the past several years without incident, but I DNF’d this past Sunday’s 1/2 IM. 3 hrs pre-race I had a banana and two 250 cal ensures. Felt good except about ½ hour after eating, my stomach felt too full for a few minutes,. Over the course of the 3 hours pre-race, I drank 4 cups of coffee and sipped a ¼ bottle of infinit up to race start. Had a breakfast cereal bar 45 min prior to swim start and a Gu 20 min before swim start.
Completed the swim 5-10 mins faster than expected and felt great almost like the swim course was short. Completed the bike in expected time, pushed a little but overall keep to pace. Sun really came out and it started to get warm on final 15 miles of bike. Consumed 88 oz of water which included 1220 calories of infinit on 3:45 bike, as had planned. HR was right on target during entire bike. Got off bike feeling good, although air temp was up to 86 f and things were warm. Started run ok, ate a carb-boom gel (not my usual gu brand) from the course at mile 1 and sip of coke and little water. Ran as slow as I could, as while running my heart rate was 20-25 BPM higher than a normal run. Stomach started minor uneasiness with a lot of minor belching. Ate another carb-boom gel from course (gel was very warm) at mile 2 and sip of coke and a little water.

You consumed (by a very rough guess) nearly a thousand calories, with a little caffeine thrown in, before the swim start. That's Big mac and Fries territory. It's a forty minute swim +/-, so you already had more than enough calories in you for the time involved. You got down to serious consuming on the bike along with a ton of water, and then it got hot. At your bike speed (just about 15mph) you were riding hot for an hour. Because you feel a fair amount of cooling on a bike, almost no one notices the heat until they get off and start running. No matter what speed you run, it's always going to be harder work than biking and with less cooling. At that point you added more calories & caffeine. So your stomach quit. Happens to everyone.

If I had my 'druthers I would not take in too much caffeine before the swim. Use it further into the bike and save a bit for the run. I use caffeine pills rather than drinks, because I find, if you do get a little upset, usually water will go down once you have cooled off a bit, but other stuff may be hours before it stays down.

You could probably space out what you ate for the 1/2 into a fair portion of the whole IM. But the heat will still get you if you work too hard on the bike. For IM Florida the chances are you will spend 5 hours in the sun before you start running (on the basis of the 3:45 bike for the 1/2, you are going to be on that bike for at least 7 1/2 hours). When you start running you will get seriously hot. Think seriously about what you can do to reduce the suns' effects. From arm coolers, ice pockets, neck covers (on the bike), sunscreens, hats, ice bags down your shorts, whatever it takes.

Best of luck
Quote Reply