Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
I'll be attempting my first 50K this year. Playin' Possum 50K in Delaware, OH. It's mid May.

Very nice! Mid May in Ohio should be nice. Will you check back in on here and let us know how it goes??

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Zanne E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zanne E wrote:
I'm on for Marathon des Sables April 8-18th. The emotional roller coaster ride between excitement and terror is very real!

I'm also doing Bryce 100 in June, because somehow running a nasty mountain 100 two months after MdS seems like 'a good idea.' I've done Bryce 100 before, so I definitly know what to expect.
In Reply To:

Just popping into say that Marathon des Sables fascinates me. Not enough to think about taking it on - but just in terms of an epic challenge. But kudos to you and good luck. Keep us posted I always try to follow the race even though I don't know anybody racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may attempt my first 50k this year, "First Day of Winter" in West Portsmouth OH. Also very intrigued by the Cloudsplitter 100. Looks like a kind of adventure I've never had.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
Mostly I go down river road (its near my house also close to snows cut) and from there I will either head toward Kure Beach, I do the trails in CB state park. I've also parked at the aquarium and run to Bald Head and back on the beach. A few longer runs in WB as well

You racing this year? If so, where?

No plans. I am finally finishing up nursing school in May so just trying to get through that. After school and hopefully after I snag a job I want to get back to running (I had to sell my bike as I downsized, so no tri's).
I often have thoughts of going long and seem drawn to the JFK 50 miler. I also plan on getting back to my homeland and tackling the Comrades some time before I am totally aged and using a walker.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AggieOO wrote:
Jumping in late on this, but glad there's a thread going since there doesn't really seem to be any good ultra forums on the web.

I've already run Bandera 100K this year. Not sure what else I'm doing in the way of races (trying to figure out that now), but definitely doing R2R2R first weekend of may.

If anyone is in Texas or wants to come down to Texas, my trail team puts on a series of races and i'm the RD for one of them. www.spectrumtrailracing.com I have discount codes of anyone is interested.

I'm down in San Antone, and am surprised I haven't heard of this trail series. I might have to give it a try, especially if there is a discount code!

@davempratt
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the Frosty 50K in Winston-Salem, NC in early January and have been toying with doing a 50 miler later in the year, maybe the USNWC one in October.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [atomic_shaggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atomic_shaggy wrote:
I may attempt my first 50k this year, "First Day of Winter" in West Portsmouth OH. Also very intrigued by the Cloudsplitter 100. Looks like a kind of adventure I've never had.

“It’s not an adventure until something goes wrong.” -Yvon Chouinard

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Have you done it before? What you using for training plan, and if you don't mind, what age you in

re. Bighorn....

No, I have not run it.

I don't have training plans. I try to run about an hour each day that I can carve out time, and try to get in some long runs on weekends. I am probably on the lower end of typical mileage for ultra guys? If I had to guess, I'd say 50 miles most weeks, rarely more than 80. This will only be my 5th hundred, so I am far from an expert.

I am 49, but I don't remember any ultras breaking results out in age groups. The youngest and oldest finishers might get recognized, everyone else is thrown together in the same pot. If that is not the case, then I guess I don't pay attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. not sure why I said age groups....know better. I am following relentless forward progress on this. As in my earlier post, this is my third try at this one. Hope I get it. Made it half, so if any questions on course, let me know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had planned on running The Bethel Moonlight Boogie again (and actually finishing it this year), but that is a if I'm able to lick this hamstring/piriformis/it band injury that has kept me from running for the last 4+ weeks.

If you haven't run the Moonlight Boogie, it is a fun 50-miler that starts at 6pm. It's run on rural roads (5 houses total) located north of Rockingham.

I'm in Cary, and have no desire to run Umstead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually go to a class at my gym at work, so I don't have to think about it.

However, I have gone in by myself. We use the TRX bands, but also do some stuff on the floor, usually incorporating Bosu balls to get that same instability to work the core. I like doing squats (bosu), reverse lunges with foot in the strap, hamstring curls, planks with feet in the bands, pushups with feet in the bands, chest press, triceps, row, bicep curls, sprinters start (squats at 45 or more degree angle), and a lot of other variants. i try to keep my feet close together on most things to work the core more.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this thread....................hope your training went well......My bib is 151.....hope to see you out there...I avg just a hair under 60 per week since Jan 1.....was not able to get the 50 done my training called for.....but a few over 25 in the mnts.....will see Fri if enough
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you resurrected it! Somehow I missed this earlier in the year (probably because I hadn't convinced myself that ultras were my thing yet...but I've changed my mind since I promised my wife I'd take this year off from IM). Planning my first 50k at the US National Whitewater Center in October. Lots of great info on this thread and great to see so many other NC peeps.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Hi All,

for those that are interested in Ultras, just thought I'd let you know that the transalpine race is going on this week:

http://transalpine-run.com

It's a 7 day event across the Alps from Germany through Austria to Italy, with 247.2km of running/walking and 14,863 meters of climbing. A monster of a race. Tha race is done in teams of two and there are 500 teams taking part this year. Yesterday was the most difficult stage 47.9km with 3037m to climb.The teams had 10hrs to complete this stage, quite a few didn't make the cut off.

Every evening there is a pasta party and the leaders of each category are awarded leader t-shirts to wear the next day.

My dentist is taking part, I wish him all the best and well done for making it this far!

Anna

I am glad you put this race on here. It looks fascinating. The videos, from the race, suck you right in. One of these days, I hope to take part
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am considering my first ultra next month. It's 55k (Indian Creek Fifties). So 34 miles and about 7K feet of ascent. Not sure if I am ready for it. I did a 19 mile trail run with 5,000 feet of ascent last weekend. It took over 4 hours. It was steep (obviously) and technical. I was toasted at the end. I didn't fuel very well and I ran a bit faster the first lap than I should have. It was interesting doing a training run that was more than an hour longer than my marathon time. The race itself looks way less technical and overall its less steep, but not by tons.

My game plan would be to slow down by a minute or 2 per mile from my long training run and fuel consistently. I almost feel like it should be a long day of hiking although I will not be able to resist trying to run the whole thing. Some of the race reports and people I've talked to have their first ultra before even running a marathon.

So, I'd be interested to hear what people have peaked at for long runs before their (first) ultras. I still have another long run coming up and I may go run part of the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Crazy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
full disclosure i haven't read any of this thread yet, but i'll be getting up at the butt crack of dawn tomorrow to drive up to Steamboat Springs to 'crew' for my buddy doing the RunRabbitRun 100 mile trail race. i'm pretty excited to see the atmosphere around an event like this. should be interesting meeting him at aid stations at 130 and 430 in the morning!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
Who on here has an ultra running race coming up this year? I know that I am not the only one.

I have a few planned for this year that I'm pretty stoked about. Southern Trail Ultra 50k here in Wilmington, NC at the end of the month. And the Gator Trail 50k at the end of next month also here in Wilmington. In June I'll be doing the Dusk to Dawn 50 miler in Pinehurst. After that I may get ready for an early attempt at another 100 miler next year.

Who else is racing, what ya running in, etc. I'd love to talk ultras

I will be at the Hinson Lake 24-Hour event in Rockingham, NC next weekend.

When this thread started, I was plotting my revenge for bailing out last year after 48 miles in the first 11:30. I was already battling calf cramps and reduced to mostly walking when a friend notified us that a massive thunderstorm was approaching (it had already been raining all day). Since I was tent camping on-site I decided to pack up and head home. Drove through heavy downpours on my way home, so was OK with my decision, but when registration opened in January (it fills very quickly) I had revenge on my mind,

And then... On February 18th I had a heart attack just as I was finishing a short, easy run.

I started walking daily as soon as I left the hospital. In June, since rehab was going well, my cardiologist cleared me to run as much as I felt like as long as I kept it easy. It has been an incredibly slow process, but my mileage has been steadily building up (though still very slow) and I will be taking a much more conservative walk/run approach from the beginning this year.

Looking forward to a fun, low-key travelling buffet with friends. :)

Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to run the Superior 100 last weekend and after training 8 months to crush it, got a hip/butt injury 3 weeks before and had to skip it. Now I'm even more motivated than ever to sign up for next year and do it as my first 100. Stupid injuries!

Also plan on running the Zion Traverse next May in addition to a few 50Ks and 50 Milers as training runs for Superior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Resurrecting this thread....................hope your training went well......

I missed the resurrection back in June (thank goodness, gave me time to come to terms with this haha)

First DNF of my nearly 30 yr career. First race my kids came to. Doesn't take a Mensa-guy to make that link - kids are bad luck!!!

I started getting quad pain going up to the halfway AS. It progressively got worse going back down to the river crossing AS. I hung out there for an hour, hoping it would get better. I only had 30 miles to go, and had something like 13hrs left. I started off and it took me 1hr16 min to go 1 mile. So I quit like a pussy. If I would have had heavy gloves and knee pads, I would have crawled it on in - I mean 13 hours left, plenty of time!

Anyway, I am making another stab at it next week at the Bear 100. I feel I have have trained well, and smart, zero issues. We'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been forced to run around my yard which is about ~.25 per two laps.

It sounds about like this ultra! 1.5 mile laps for 24 hours. That has to feel like jogging around a hula-hoop. At least umstead is 12.5 miles.

Good Luck! Take care of that heart!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for shoe recommendations for an ultra. I run marathons in NB 1400. I've done a 50 miler a couple years ago in Newtons (I hadn't found my 1400s yet). Should I consider a more cushioned shoe? Or just size up? Hokas? I'm doing the 110 with Donna in Jax Beach in February. All asphalt. Kind of a stage race, 84 miles Saturday starting at 7am then join the marathon Sunday morning at 7. Combined times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you guys do for shoes? My feet were beat to crap last year after the 50. Doing the 100 this year and debating changing shoes every 25, or at least halfway. Does it help? Last year I was in Hokas too. At some point I am wondering if it is not about the softness.

7 weeks to go and thinking this is going to really, really hurt.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a US version of Trans Alps called, not surprisingly, Trans Rockies. There are 3-day and 6-day versions, and it basically functions the same way. Get up, run, hang out the rest of day with awesomely fit people, sleep in a tent. I did the 3 day and HIGHLY recommend this race. Fantastic experience all around. Price is steep, but considering the logistics and accommodations, I think it's still a good value.

http://transrockies-run.com/
Last edited by: BayouBobby: Sep 22, 16 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was/is the Southern Tour race? I've been considering that as my first 50k (the one I had planned this fall didn't work out bc of injury)
Quote Reply

Prev Next