Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere
Quote | Reply
As someone who came to the world of Triathlon from trail running/ ultra trail running I'm surprised and disappointed in the post race Parties. The races start breaking down right away and. Everyone bails and I don't blame them. Very little food, Beer, music.....I understand it's along day for race director's and the want to be done or do to permits need to be done but compared to the awesome post race Parties after events like the Hyner trail challenge it sucks. Now with this said I have not done a IM race so I may not have the big picture. But I see this as a lost opportunity for some of these races. Two weeks ago I did the OBX 70.3 and the post race event was total SHIT!!! One food truck. One lousy beer truck. And a race director who just wanted out of there. Age group racers we're finishing and instantly being announced as a poduim winner. No wonder this race is dying! Numbers are down drastically from 3 yrs ago. So how do we fix this.????? If we want more/ new people to do these races and continue to come back we must make the experience more memorable.

Discuss.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this works a lot better for destination races than local ones. The local races -- yeah, if I don't podium, I'm generally taking off fairly quick to get back to family, errands, etc.

Honu 70.3 is a good example of how this works well for a destination event. Nearly everyone is traveling to it, so most everyone is hanging out afterward. 2(3?) beer coupons and a meal coupon included with your race registration, some light entertainment, tents for shade, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. But that's what I guess I expected at a place like the OBX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bring a cooler with beer and food if I know there's a bunch of friends racing. If they're not going to have a party, I'll make my own party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, more should be done to keep people hanging around, many local tris around here have drawings for stuff which keeps people around, obviously the better the prize the better the turnout.

WTC does try to put on good post-race scenes but it depends on the race directors more than WTC overall I think. Still it seems fairly consistent. They could certainly do a drawing of stuff but unless it's a Kona slot, doubt many people would care all that much!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan should do a poll to see if people would hang or attend more races if there was a better party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Dan should do a poll to see if people would hang or attend more races if there was a better party.

For local races with event organizers already just getting by hosting these races, I fulling understand them packing it up and really not being able to host a big party. For me anyway, after HIM and IM distance, I'm just ready to grab a quick bite, get my gear and go back to the hotel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're doing the wrong races.

Do AmZof &/or SOS.

Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's all about the race director. Tri the Wildwoods in NJ has a great after party. All of his events have a nice hot buffet after, but this one also has the after party. You wear your finisher medal to the one local bar and it gets you free beer. We were there for about 4 hours. Free beer, we just paid for food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

I would have hung around last Sunday at the local Oly I did. They did have free food (burgers), but I didn't find any beer. They didn't make much of a deal of this, I had to "discover" it on my own---none of the "officials" that I asked knew where the food was. BY the time I found it, they were already packing up. To be fair there was a big screw up in timing, so it took them a while to figure out why EVERYONE was reporting errors in their times...and I stayed at timing&scoring until they gave us a definitive answer.

I wouldn't even really expect "free food & drink", although I'm sure some would. I'd rather have some decent options of food for purchase, honestly. Just a nice atmosphere that encourages/accepts friends and family to hang and have a good time. There was a huge pool which was a walk-in entry with a sandy beach. Plenty of room for all the spectators to hang, play in the water, rest, maybe have a beer, etc. Coulda been a really cool vibe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I get real thirsty when I race and like to celebrate or drown my sorrows right after the race. I'm Old School and often BYOB. But look for races that have beer, like Toughman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think part of it is just the habits of triathletes. after the sprint tri we produce at a winery, it's a fairly festive atmosphere -- right up until we do the awards - then, without fail, most everyone disperses. i like to stretch out time to awards because i really enjoy that time when people are hanging out together sipping their wine, eating cheese/fruit/crackers, enjoying a variety of wraps and some live music.

but people just leave after the awards, even though we tell them they're welcome to stay.

for long course, timberman used to have a fairly decent party.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonp9576 wrote:
That's all about the race director. Tri the Wildwoods in NJ has a great after party. All of his events have a nice hot buffet after, but this one also has the after party. You wear your finisher medal to the one local bar and it gets you free beer. We were there for about 4 hours. Free beer, we just paid for food.

I'd probably stick around for free beers, but in general the post-race scene rates a giant 'meh'... I pay for races to test myself and have the course marshals, traffic control, competition, etc, that I can't stage myself, and that's mostly it. Food & drink afterwards, if I so desire, I can bring a cooler or head out someplace on my own depending on how far it is vs the travel time back home or whatever. The extra foo-foo *could* be nice, but I'd choose a less expensive entry fee 9X out of 10 instead.

I can see the side of it where your tank is on 'E' after an event and you need to replenish anyway, so why not have it provided at the same venue? ~ but on the flip side, it also seems a little too 'Look at me I just did a Tri-ath-a-lon and I need some extra special acknowledgement'/participation medal-ish. I've done enough races to see a wide range of post-race spreads and of course some are better than others, but that's rarely a deciding factor in which races I choose and/or how long I plan to stick around after. The race choice is driven more by location/course, and when I'm done if I need to get home I get on with it regardless even if I'm missing out on a good gig, or if I have extra time and there's no party I can drink my own back at the truck.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if it is a BYOB situation that's still cool. Just looking for the whole package.We all work hard at this. We should celebrate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was unaware that triathletes were fun at parties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of us just have other things to get to, especially when it's a travel race and we either have to get a head start on driving or be home that night. The venues may be more expensive per hour or simply unavailable for longer duration - triathlons tend to require roads and police officers at intersections while trail runs don't. Triathlon also tends to attract detail-oriented Type As who have a schedule and a list of things to get done that afternoon, while trail runners tend to be more laid-back (both in my experience, of course).

That said, you're expanding from one race, and one I don't know about. At the tris I've done, and my wife has done, we finish, cheer on our teammates, have some mimosas, and hang out until the podium. By the end of that the adrenaline is gone, we're tired, sore, maybe sunburned, hungry for some real food, in desperate need of a shower, and generally it's time to go. With no judgement, how long did it take you to finish? How many athletes were still on-course?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one thing to be noted that wasn't included in the OP's post was the fact that Ultra and Trail racing have 100-200 people finishing TOPS and it is much easier to throw a big post-race party for 200 people, than 1500+ at a 70.3 tri.
Also, you're never going to see the same atmosphere at a Try that you would with cyclocross racers, trail racers, ultra runners, or long distance open water swimmers. Those guys are different breeds. Not saying that with any negativity, they just have a different mind set that allows them to go really hard, and then enjoy the hell out of a post-race party with smaller numbers. If a cyclocross RD had to accommodate 1500 age group racers with the median age being 45 years old, the quality of food and beer might slide a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. To longđŸ˜”. But my observation are with almost all the ones I have done so far. Dewey Beach TRI being the exception. And I get some people have things to do. Just seams like such a different vibe.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [nhoya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhoya wrote:
I think one thing to be noted that wasn't included in the OP's post was the fact that Ultra and Trail racing have 100-200 people finishing TOPS and it is much easier to throw a big post-race party for 200 people, than 1500+ at a 70.3 tri.
Also, you're never going to see the same atmosphere at a Try that you would with cyclocross racers, trail racers, ultra runners, or long distance open water swimmers. Those guys are different breeds. Not saying that with any negativity, they just have a different mind set that allows them to go really hard, and then enjoy the hell out of a post-race party with smaller numbers. If a cyclocross RD had to accommodate 1500 age group racers with the median age being 45 years old, the quality of food and beer might slide a bit.

For reference the Hyner caps at 1000 people. Crazy huge after party.Free. Probably 15 to 20 micro Brewery's there. Its just awesome. Sells out in a couple Days for following yr. We hung with a couple hundred till well past midnight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
So how do we fix this.?????
First step - get involved in race promotion. If you're just saying this as a participant/consumer, it's kind of tiresome.

I'm speaking from the perspective of in the past being a key volunteer in a club that put on events (different sport - bike racing - but similar issues) where participants would tell us what we should be doing, but not step up to do things themselves.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have offered at some race that were struggling. And I'm going to speak with the board at another. So far we have been told to pound sand. As far as the OBX Tri it's my understanding they started failing a couple yrs ago. Supposedly the people who run the Virginia Beach Marathon offered to take it over ( they do great job) and got no were. Some people just don't how to run these events and can't see the writing on the wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also if you're failing to get people in for events in a place like OBX you suck. Just putting truth to words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
So how do we fix this.?????
First step - get involved in race promotion. If you're just saying this as a participant/consumer, it's kind of tiresome.

I'm speaking from the perspective of in the past being a key volunteer in a club that put on events (different sport - bike racing - but similar issues) where participants would tell us what we should be doing, but not step up to do things themselves.

It comes off as strange when you say "customers should do the thing they want themselves instead of making suggestions to the vendor". Our customers at work tell us what we should be doing like all the time. We do what we can of the list that our customers request.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about post race Parties/Atmosphere [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
It comes off as strange when you say "customers should do the thing they want themselves instead of making suggestions to the vendor". Our customers at work tell us what we should be doing like all the time. We do what we can of the list that our customers request.
Did this guy write to the race in question? From the title of the thread it seemed like he was just talking to everyone. And I wasn't aware this board is for contacting race promoters - thanks for clearing that up.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Toby wrote:
Did this guy write to the race in question? From the title of the thread it seemed like he was just talking to everyone. And I wasn't aware this board is for contacting race promoters - thanks for clearing that up.

You seemed to be suggesting that if he wants a party, he make the party, not make a suggestion to the race director. However, he was asking the question in general, and we do have a number of race directors here. Is it really that unreasonable to ask a group of racers and race directors about better post-race parties?

Quote Reply

Prev Next