Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off
Quote | Reply
I'll go first. Failure to take accurate water temperature readings causing a 70.3 to the non wetsuit legal.

I have several more complaints from this race but I'll let someone else come in before adding them. This is the weakest of my complaints so please tell me yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'll go first. Failure to take accurate water temperature readings causing a 70.3 to the non wetsuit legal.

I have several more complaints from this race but I'll let someone else come in before adding them. This is the weakest of my complaints so please tell me yours.

I have none, I think they do a great job

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

That's the race referee's call, not USAT per se.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay I'll list my second complaint. Failure to have a legitimate argument as to how riding one bike length off the back of the rider in front of you and 4 - 6 ft off to their side is actually drafting.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point!! That leads me to believe that all my complaints are essentially more about the officials at this in particular race and not usat in general.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Sep 17, 17 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Okay I'll list my second complaint. Failure to have a legitimate argument as to how riding one bike length off the back of the rider in front of you and 4 - 6 ft off to their side is actually drafting.

From the USAT rule book...The term "drafting zone" shall refer to a rectangular area seven (7) meters long and two (2) meters wide surrounding each bicycle.

"4 - 6 ft off to their side" is drafting.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay I'll eat crow on that one. I think the official should have been able to explain that to me but I stand corrected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4-6 feet to what side? If it's to left you then are in a "position" foul of not riding "to the right" (in addition to drafting too close).

I'm sorry to hear this, seems this race was just tough for you all around.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would make a really shitty lawyer
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I was roughly 4 ft to 6ft to the left of the rider in front of me. My other complaint is one that I know was a no no but was convinced otherwise by my wife because she was given bad information by race official. Happen During the run. It was extremely hot and the race was only providing little cups of water every mile. My wife while out on the course offered me a bottle of Gatorade. When I stopped and told her I could not take that she assured me that due to the conditions she had received permission to give me the Gatorade. So I took it. She had indeed received permission by one of the people running the race. However other officials that the race disagreed.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No shit. But I know a lot of lawyers that make crappyy lawyers. And when posting stuff on slowtwitch when I'm pissed off I usually don't make my best arguments.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Sep 17, 17 18:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fish, learn the 24 hour rule. No decisions, posts, comments on races until Monday after weekend! You and the rest of ST will thank me!

But nah, I hope NC treated you well, I love that area of outer banks! Come back again!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's probably a good piece of advice. As for the Outer Banks yes I love that place try to spend roughly three weeks to a month there every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general, I'm going to go with the following...

1) Prices on their USAT re-cert online classes. It's a scam for $$ making. There hasn't been a whole helluva lot I didn't already know pre-USAT Level 2 courses that they taught either. But there are discounts and advertising pluses if you are cert'd and on their website (lots of newcomers found me through their site).

2) Prices on Team USA outfits for WC races and the requirement for the dang parade outfit & jacket. Don't need more crap. Just want to do the race and get out. More workout clothes are definitely things I don't really need.

3) They don't OOC dope test enough (do they at all--? Haven't heard much on it anyhow). They could likely nail so many AG'rs if they used their brain and put 2 & 2 together, timed it right, with the right people. It would unnerve a lot, those at the top, if they caught some for those performing way out of the stratosphere of what their competition does (and don't give me this genetic freak crap either, not buying it). Call me jaded.

Rant over.

Aside from that, they seem to be doing an okay job.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should have titled it usat Festivus. We could have put up the metal pole and had the Airing of Grievances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they still send that terrible magazine? I am an annual member and do not recall seeing it lately. It goes straight in the trash so I am not missing it if they have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

"I have none, I think they do a great job " - Couldn't agree more!

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your ignorance is bliss...

1. Quit your bitchin' and become a referee. Get in the back of that motorcycle and see what happens during large races. Be part of the solution and not the problem.
2. Don't race USAT sanctioned events. No one is forcing you become a member. Lots o' non-sanctioned events out there.
3. Run for office. Become a member of the Board of Directiors and make changes. Is to post online anonymously, rant, rave and so forth. Bitching and moaning is too easy.

I've had my say...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Bitching can be very cathartic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To summarize the past 6 months of slowtwitch complaints:

1. Changing the rule to not allow clipped in pedals in T1
2. Charging an annual membership fee, for all the training I do it should be free
3. Enforcing a 15 second pass/draft zone-- should be 15 minutes.
4. Failing to find 77.9 degree water somewhere in the damn lake
5. Having nationals in crummy Midwest locales (MKE,OMA,CLE) -- should be permanently in San Diego
6. Oh man, shit, have to agree with Dave (H20fun) I think they do a really good job! (1-5 in pink)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

That's the race referee's call, not USAT per se.

I feel like this goes the other way more often than not. I've done a number of wetsuit legal races where the water temp was at least 80. That said, I'm all for accurate measuring and ITU Elite rules for wetsuits. Or FINA/USA Swimming rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have been upset in one way or another for the last two weeks over this race. All that I have read so far is that the USAT official followed the rules. These officials seem to be zero or one officials from what I have read but correct in their applying the rules. Race personnel or volunteers do not know USAT rules on no outside assistance. Can't depend on them to correctly answer a question. I just hope they point the correct way.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's list all the ways USAT sucks / pisses you off [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your statement that they usually try to find somewhere to make it wetsuit legal. However in this instants they took the temperature reading in a foot of water and the second we all got out there deeper it was quite noticeable that the water temperature was much cooler than reported.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do something for Duathlon. Don't let the sport die. Promote it like triathlon is promoted. Not sure this falls on USAT though.

FFS, most triathletes don't even like swimming anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's not drafting, it's still a position error.
Quote Reply

Prev Next