Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Less processed food suggestions for breakfast
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for suggestions for less processed food choices for breakfast. I'm ok for lunch and dinner when I have time to cook but in the mornings I'm usually pressed for time and want to.

I grew up eating cereal everyday , so that is sort of an easy comfort food for me. I fall back on that with a small nudge.
Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can batch-process oatmeal and then portion it out for a week at a time. Then, in the morning, a quick bit of milk on the top of the container and into the microwave until appropriately warm. Just about as fast as cereal.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for less processed food choices for breakfast. I'm ok for lunch and dinner when I have time to cook but in the mornings I'm usually pressed for time and want to.

I grew up eating cereal everyday , so that is sort of an easy comfort food for me. I fall back on that with a small nudge.

Cereal is fine. Just pick ones with less added sugar. Or if you have a big workout day planned, go ahead and eat frosted flakes.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

Cereal is fine. Just pick ones with less added sugar. Or if you have a big workout day planned, go ahead and eat Captain Crunch

FTFY.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smoothies are awesome for mornings. Quick and as healthy and natural as you want to make them..

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eggs. Hard boil and peal them them on Sunday (or have your wife) and eat them all week. Very quick and easy and more importantly - tasty...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like cereal (who doesn't?) try making your own muesli (not hard, really) and combine with fresh fruit, plain yogurt. Takes no time at all and there are so many variations if you get bored.
Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eggs and bacon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oatmeal. Add a couple tablespoons of flax meal, a few walnuts and berries. Ready in 90 seconds
Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [Pett'rifier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Microwave a potato, cut it up into a fry pan with diced pepper, onion, mushrooms and zuchinni and/or any other veggie in your fridge. Use reaosnably high heat til veggies are soft and potato is beginning to brown a bit. Salt and liberal pepper. Enjoy with a couple of slices of dense bread toast like Ezekiel. You may not need lunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

Omelet with spinach, onions, green peppers, tomato.
Greek yogurt with honey, currants, frozen fruit, nuts.

I eat both every morning, plus green tea. I typically don't eat again for 5+ hours, so need something big in the AM.
Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greek yogurt lover here. Plain with some honey added. Sometimes I mix it worth healthier cereal or oats

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Homemade granola and zero fat Greek yoghurt. Or make a frittata and section it out (or make it in cupcake tins for easy portioning), freeze, nuke as required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cliff bars aren't that processed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scrambled eggs is my go-to breakfast and it cooks really fast in a small non-stick frypan with a tablespoon of butter. If I seriously don't have the 2 minutes it takes to cook then I resort to a tub of natural, full fat greek yoghurt with berries or honey. Either option keeps me going easily until lunchtime.
Last edited by: irongirl101: Sep 29, 14 22:46
Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Homemade granola and zero fat Greek yoghurt.

This, except I go full fat. Taste so much better and fat its good for you. I've found that mixing ricotta cheese with greek yogurt taste amazing too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If time is the problem, I have two suggestions:
1: Learn to nuke your breakfast. You can make oatmeal in the microwave and then add all the delicious toppings you want. Just stay away from sugary stuff. You can also nuke eggs. Play around with the time but you can even make eggs sunny side up and they're pretty good. My wife scrambles eggs with tons of veggies and puts them in a microwave safe bowl and ends up with some delicious nuked omelets.

2. Slow cooker! - I place my oatmeal/polenta/whatever in the slow cooker the night before and wake up to a delicious breakfast, already made and warm. Just Google slow cooker oatmeal recipes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leftovers. why not make a little bit more at dinner and have that for brekkies?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eat "non breakfast foods" all the time for breakfast. Rice noodle soup, rice and beans, mushroom ravioli... yesterday I had potato chips, which I figure are sort of like home fries...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eggs with veggies. Or eggs with salsa. Big fan of eggs now, hated them growing up...

Sometimes I do steel cut oats - mostly in the winter. I cook them like this: Night before, boil water. Dump in oats, take off stove, set on potholder in fridge with lid on. In the morning, put pot on stove on medium while I'm doing other stuff. Near the end of the cooking, add in a couple egg whites while stirring vigorously. Top with fruit and nuts, or mix in cocoa powder and peanut butter.
I hate rolled oats because they are just mush. I like the chewy texture of steel cut... I tried the slow cooker for them once and it turned them into mush (ewwww).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

Cereal. shredded wheat. Not a lot going on there, quite filling. Or hard boil eggs in batches in the evening and eat cold for breakfast. Awesome protein to keep you full. Keep breakfast simple.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every other weekend I make a batch of breakfast burritos; pretty simple, egg/southern style potatoes/cheese/whole wheat tortillas. I also separate out some salsa into little containers. I place the burritos in the freezer and warm them up in the microwave at work when I'm ready. They reheat very well! If I don't get a good dose of protein in the morning from eggs and the likes, I'm fairly useless :)
Quote Reply
Re: Less processed food suggestions for breakfast [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
Smoothies are awesome for mornings. Quick and as healthy and natural as you want to make them..

This is what I do. Coconut water, berries, a banana, and some Greek yogurt. If it's after a workout I'll add a scoop of protein powder. Sometimes a little honey if the fruit isn't very sweet.

I'll have that on my drive to work and usually some oatmeal when I get to work as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a frequent breakfast for me that hasn't been mentioned is microwaved eggs. Crack a few eggs into a leakproof container along with some spices and whatever cheese or veggies that you'r in the mood for that morning. I get into the office after masters, microwave for ~30 seconds, stir, and repeat until its done.
Quote Reply

Prev Next