Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Legs Itch On Run
Quote | Reply
Whenever I have been off from running for more than a week (gasp-I know its hard to imagine a break that long) my first couple runs back are painfully itchy. It is unbearable and usually ends the run before a mile. Onset usually around .5 mile. I went for another test jog on the foot today and sure enough my thighs, butt and waist were so itchy I had to stop. Honestly almost draw blood scrathing trying to get some relief. I know scratching is not good, but the pain is unbearable at that point.

Any ideas of what is going on? It goes away after about three runs and only happens on the run even if I have kept up the bike and swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Legs Itch On Run [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that when my skin is really dry... Usually taking s shower with moisturizing soap first seems to solve it for me

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the same thing when I've a few months off running. I get itching when I start sweating, for me it's the sweat glands opening up. Medically I wouldn't be concerned. I find it gets better after a few weeks so can't offer any advice on how to avoid it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sometimes get the itch in cold/cooler weather when I have pool swum earlier in the day. Seems to be a clear chlorine correlation to me. I'd try switching any chemicals or substances - soap, shampoo, or any other fancy stuff you may use.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too uncommon. Take an antihistamine (i.e. allegra or zyrtec) prior to your run (like 30 minutes before). Should take care of it.
Last edited by: gasman: Apr 26, 15 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Whenever I have been off from running for more than a week (gasp-I know its hard to imagine a break that long) my first couple runs back are painfully itchy. It is unbearable and usually ends the run before a mile. Onset usually around .5 mile. I went for another test jog on the foot today and sure enough my thighs, butt and waist were so itchy I had to stop. Honestly almost draw blood scrathing trying to get some relief. I know scratching is not good, but the pain is unbearable at that point.

Any ideas of what is going on? It goes away after about three runs and only happens on the run even if I have kept up the bike and swim.

Runners itch. Google it. My first outside run in heat (last week) I wanted to tear my skin off.

Quote | Reply
The only time I itch is whenever I get back from Southeast Asia.......

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Last edited by: shivermetimbers: Apr 26, 15 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar thing happen. But the itch wouldn't go away after a run. I team daily, so it's hard to tell, but, after some research, I was over loading on vitamin b. I quit the supplements, and bingo bango, I'm fine. I was taking way too much suplemental crap. I always heard that whatever your body doesn't need, you pee out. No harm, no foul. Not the case!
Good luck!
Quote Reply