Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Legendary York cross country coach Joe Newton dies at 88
Quote | Reply
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/elmhurst/sports/ct-elh-york-boys-cross-country-joe-newton-tl-1210-20171209-story.html

http://www.dailyherald.com/...-passing-of-a-legend

Any Illinois or Chicago area runners will know the name. An amazing man, amazing record and quite a teacher to young men.

"Newton won 28 cross-country state titles at York from 1962-2016, finished second 12 times and third 4 times for a total of 44 trophies in 57 seasons. He also win the Class AA title in track and field in 2000.
Newton was the first high school coach to be named to an Olympic coaching staff. He was in charge of marathon runners at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, Korea.
His cross-country teams at York won 20 national titles. More than 150 of his runners received college scholarships. Newton wrote four books on running and was named coach of the year 20 times by the Illinois Coaches Association."

"York was notable not only for its exceptional record of success under Newton, but for the number of runners — usually well over 100 — in its program.
Newman said Newton had the ability to connect with everyone from elite athletes to those well down the depth chart."
"He made everyone on the team feel special," Newman said. "He rejoiced in the success of his top runners. And when a runner broke seven minutes for the mile for the first time, he was so happy."
Newton showed his appreciation by shaking each runner's hand at the end of practice, and gave nicknames to all of his athletes. "
"Newton created a running culture at York and in the Elmhurst community. It became known as “The Long Green Line,” which was also the title of a 2008 motion picture based on the team."

Well done Joe.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Dec 10, 17 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: Legendary York cross country coach Joe Newton dies at 88 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My user name shows just how many times I got my butt kicked by a Joe Newton coached team.
Oak Park River Forest Cross Country. We were in the same conference and had duals with York in XC and track.

17 years removed from HS I regularly talk about Joe Newton. He was an amazing man and coach. He turned normal high school kids into world beaters. And they had fun while doing it.

I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.
Quote Reply
Re: Legendary York cross country coach Joe Newton dies at 88 [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
My user name shows just how many times I got my butt kicked by a Joe Newton coached team.
Oak Park River Forest Cross Country. We were in the same conference and had duals with York in XC and track.

17 years removed from HS I regularly talk about Joe Newton. He was an amazing man and coach. He turned normal high school kids into world beaters. And they had fun while doing it.

I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

I have a good friend who knew him for many years and does a lot of track reporting. He so admired the guy, as did most of the people he touched, both on his team and not. Quite a guy.....
Quote Reply