Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Legal marijuana states
Quote | Reply
To those that live on states with legal marijuana. Do you ever use the gels or other forms as pain killers or as sleep aids?

Or would you consider this doping? Pun or no pun intended.
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [new_trimes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a user (job rules prevent me from even considering it), but a masters cyclist was busted not long ago for in-competition THC levels being too high. (pun intended). So care would be needed.

I don't consider out-of-competition use to be doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've used edibles to help sleep before. I'd say no to doping, I've never felt it gives me any help, just a better nights sleep.
Last edited by: damn lucky: Dec 24, 17 18:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new_trimes wrote:
To those that live on states with legal marijuana. Do you ever use the gels or other forms as pain killers or as sleep aids?

Or would you consider this doping? Pun or no pun intended.
Prior to this i’ve Smoked weed MAYBE 5 times in my life. My buddy got “prescribed” some for sleep. I tried a piece of chocolate. BEST SLEEP OF MY LIFE. I felt drunk, felt tired, went to sleep. A second later I wake up and its morning.

I’ve only done it once since, but if I had a dispensary close by i’d Be using for sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While THC remains on the WADA list, CBD, which is the bit usually associated with the restorative properties of marijuana instead of getting high, is delisted starting in 2018.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. That's good to know that one can consider the medicinal forms and not be concerned that they would fail a drug test. Not that I'm going to be winning races and asked for a sample. I would certainly consider edibles to use as a form of sleep aid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a medical license for cannabis and i use it pretty regularly as a sleep aid. I just checked the WADA website and it is not banned.

I definitely use it the two nights before a race because like all of you I am all nerves and can't sleep. It in no way enhances performance and nor would I ever use it during a race as I don't want to fall asleep! It is the equivalent of taking a sleeping pill in terms of its intended use.

Here is what I take: http://sensiproducts.com/...mnia-with-melatonin/

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
I have a medical license for cannabis and i use it pretty regularly as a sleep aid. I just checked the WADA website and it is not banned.

You must not have looked very hard because it's definitely on the list. Section S8 of WADA's Prohibited List. Cannabidiol is now excepted from the list.

CANNABINOIDS The following cannabinoids are prohibited:
• Natural cannabinoids, e.g. cannabis, hashish and marijuana,
• Synthetic cannabinoids e.g. Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other cannabimimetics.
Except: • Cannabidiol

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Dec 25, 17 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

You must not have looked very hard because it's definitely on the list.

Leave it to the pot heads to not be able to read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legal here in Oregon and thought about it for sleep help but doctor recommended melatonin and that alone has helped me a ton as now I can get like 5 hours(which might seem like a LOT but for me isn't) solid. CBD work for pain and such and I hear some ultra runners are using it in events like a super Aleve to make it through the harder parts but haven't tried that.
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

You must not have looked very hard because it's definitely on the list. Section S8 of WADA's Prohibited List. Cannabidiol is not excepted from the list.

Worth noting that section S8 is in the "in-competition" section of the Prohibited List.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm betting that after a HIM or IM race.....it would be a great anti-soreness-let-me-get-to-sleep aid.

But, I'd only be guessing.
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I used the search function and didn't see it, but I am glad you (and several others) pointed out that it is listed. Just to clarify, it is not allowed during competition. It does not prohibit it from being used outside of competition. Correct?

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
Thanks, I used the search function and didn't see it, but I am glad you (and several others) pointed out that it is listed. Just to clarify, it is not allowed during competition. It does not prohibit it from being used outside of competition. Correct?

Correct. With the caveat that pre-competition usage has to give enough of a time buffer for blood THC levels to drop under threshold values by race-day morning. I have no idea how that sort of time buffer is calculated. I just know a few people have been burned by it.
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

Correct. With the caveat that pre-competition usage has to give enough of a time buffer for blood THC levels to drop under threshold values by race-day morning. I have no idea how that sort of time buffer is calculated. I just know a few people have been burned by it.

It sounds like a person could get a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) if they needed to use THC the night before a race to sleep. It's just too bad they didn't have this TUE available back when i was in college, as i think at least half the swimmers were toking up on a daily basis. And Phelps's hitting the bong would not have been head-line news. Let the good times roll... :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI Everyone:
I'm not condoning the use of the stuff, but here's some info about CBD:
To clear up the confusion that may exist, CBD is off the banned substance list, but THC still on it. CBD Oil and edibles, of course, have been touted for every condition under the sun, but apparently it's been effective for sleep disorders, musculoskeletal pain, and relief of chemo side effects.
As with all supplements, it's important to purchase from reliable source so that there's not cross contamination w THC, which is the "psychoactive" component.

Here's a link w the WADA details with references:
https://www.crossfitinvictus.com/...ohibited-substances/

Anecdotally: I've got a raging case of plantar fasciitis w associated Mad Calf disease, so I gave a CBD Medterra product a try, and it worked very well... it's legal here in California, but I won't tuck it into my luggage when I travel. I'm probably not going to run very fast very far for very long, but at least I can walk without knives shooting into my foot every step.

KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which of their products did you use for your plantar fasciitis? The tincture, cream, capsules?
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my friends had some, which I tried and liked it, so this is what I ordered:
https://medterracbd.com/...ducts/cbd-pain-cream
I used it on the foot, and calf.
I think I had a code, SAVE10, which gave me 10% off.
They're in SoCal, and they use USPS, so shipping wasn't very expensive.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Jun 19, 18 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medterra is based in Kentucky. But CBD (without THC) is mostly legal in something like 47 states, so it can be ordered at their website and they'll ship.

We interviewed a neuroscientist last week for our podcast and he basically said what form--pill, tincture (oil), cream or isolate--depends on what you want to treat. For a topical issue, the cream would make sense (according to Dr.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legal here in Colorado. The closest I get to using is running by weed shops during my lunch runs. If the wind is blowing the right direction you get a pretty good whiff. In all seriousness, I'm considering CBD oil for lower back pain. I tore a disc two years ago and haven't been right since.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Medterra is based in Kentucky. But CBD (without THC) is mostly legal in something like 47 states, so it can be ordered at their website and they'll ship.

We interviewed a neuroscientist last week for our podcast and he basically said what form--pill, tincture (oil), cream or isolate--depends on what you want to treat. For a topical issue, the cream would make sense (according to Dr.)

Make sure to link to the podcast once you release it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 35 and until last week had never smoked weed.

The other week my wife and I were outside after a really stressful week, having a glass of wine and relaxing before turning in. She had a join (she smokes occasionally). For whatever reason, I said screw it and asked for some.

What followed was the most enjoyable sex of my life, followed by the most restful sleep I had ever had. I didn't even feel high at all, it was less of a buzz then I get from one strong drink.

Definitely going to look in to the dispensary down the road... I don't enjoy the act of smoking, but, would definitely consider an oil, spray, edible, etc on occasion.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go:
https://soundcloud.com/...r-josh-kaplan-on-cbd
On iTunes it should be top one here: https://goo.gl/85z2hR

We tried to cover differences in CBD versus product with THC, uses for athletes, what to know about source and so on. At the end Dr. Kaplan dropped an interesting nugget about future potential, including TBIs.
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent and informative podcast. Thanks for posting.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Legal marijuana states [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better sleep isn't a competitive edge? Maybe not one night but if I had better sleep in the 3 months leading up to a race vs my competitor odd are I would have the better race - either arriving fresher or being able to have absorbed a higher training load. Isn't more sleep like the number one thing people could do to perform better? I see better sleep as a HUGE performance advantage.

Is there disagreement on the benefits of sleep on performance?

Now the discussion with CBD / THC legality, use cases, etc can carry on (I'm intrigued by it all and how it can be optimized)... But I disagree with "it doesn't provide any benefit, just allows me to sleep better".
Quote Reply

Prev Next