Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ledecky at Trials
Quote | Reply
She deserves her own thread.

Entered in every freestyle event (50 up to 800) and the 400IM for good measure.

Don't think she makes the team in the 50, but she's got a chance at every other free event. Outside shot at 400IM,

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ledecky, Jack Conger and Ryan Lochte are tied for most events entered with 6. Conger could final in all 6 events and not make the team.

This is the "changing of the guard" Olympic trials for the men. I am so excited to see Whitley, Andrew, Conger, Murphy, Lincon, Dressell, Rooney at their first of probably 3 Olympic trials.
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this is probably the last go round for phelps, lochte, Grevers, Ervin,

Not sure about Conor Dwyer. If he makes the team, and I think he will, I'll give him another 4 years.

itll be neat to see how the young guys perform. Rooney could make the team this time round,

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
She deserves her own thread.

Entered in every freestyle event (50 up to 800) and the 400IM for good measure.

Don't think she makes the team in the 50, but she's got a chance at every other free event. Outside shot at 400IM,

Should let her have a crack at the mens 1500m lol
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She'd make finals.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I think Ledecky, Jack Conger and Ryan Lochte are tied for most events entered with 6. Conger could final in all 6 events and not make the team.

Dressel is entered in 7 (https://swimswam.com/...s-us-olympic-trials/), but in the comments at the bottom of that article, most people are predicting he does between 3 and 5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conger is entered in 7 events. 50, 100, 200 free, 100, 200 back, 100, 200 fly.

No way he finals in the 50. The 100 and 200 he might, but I don't even really like his chances in the 100. There are a bunch of guys seeded behind him who I know are going to step up.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add, just want to say thanks for starting some of these threads…and for your input in others.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Dressel is entered in 7 (https://swimswam.com/...s-us-olympic-trials/), but in the comments at the bottom of that article, most people are predicting he does between 3 and 5.

My prediction, 100 and 200 fly. (3rd in both). 100 back and 200 back. Possibly the 200 free. That's it.

Edit, reading comprehension fail. I thought you were talking about conger, not dressel.

Dressel s shot is in the 50 and 100. Maybe he swims the 100 fly as well.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 22, 16 20:16
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US Trials is honestly the best meet in the world.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember back in Jan I think where we had a young kid from town have his first meet against the "big boys" in Seattle…he did OK but because of you posting the live feed there were an extra 10-15 people yelling at their screens;-) (Likely on work time) I am friends with the local head coach, we had a good laugh about that…he appreciates the exposure and support (passion for swimming etc)

Edit: you were likely responsible for 10-15 hours of lost "productivity"

Cheers,
Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Jun 22, 16 19:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was winter nationals back in December.

NBC has broadcast rights for trials on the tv and online, not sure if I'll be able to tune in from across the border.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maya DiRado has said that regardless of how the summer goes, she's hanging up the goggles in September to take a nice dry office job. Given that she almost retired when she graduated from Stanford, I'll be glad we got a couple interesting bonus years and WC team appearances from her rather than grumble that if anyone still had room to improve and take down Ye and Katinka by Tokyo, it would have been her.

Ledecky's 50 is probably the rare chance for her to swim the event more or less tapered and see how it goes. Not sure about the 400 IM for her since she just doesn't have the breaststroke to go 4:30s low, which is probably what DiRado and a seemingly healthy Elizabeth Beisel are capable of. 200 IM, you can kind of bluff your way through if you've generally got excellent fitness. (See Natalie Coughlin's Beijing bronze medal in the event.)
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a masters swimmer, I just thank God for the 100IM. And I'm not even religious.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Ledecky tapering? The way she performs at in season meets, don't think she needs to.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
She'd make finals.

For sure, she wouldn't come last in the heats at the Olympics either.

I think she might be the best female athlete in the world across all sports. Her 800 free is just out this world when look at how small the drop off in pace is from her 400.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

NBC has broadcast rights for trials on the tv and online, not sure if I'll be able to tune in from across the border.
I was just looking up US Trials coverage today. It appears to me that in the USA it is only streaming. At best, I can only imagine you Canucks (wait a minute, what am I supposed to call guys from Nova Scotia? Are you Novas or Scotias?) might only be able to stream it as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I was just looking up US Trials coverage today. It appears to me that in the USA it is only streaming. At best, I can only imagine you Canucks (wait a minute, what am I supposed to call guys from Nova Scotia? Are you Novas or Scotias?) might only be able to stream it as well.

It's televised in the USA. Bottom of page at this link has times/channel.

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...television-schedule/

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elisabeth Beisel is entered in 9 events!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
US Trials is honestly the best meet in the world.

So much this. To use a completely random example. The slowest seed time in this year's Mens 400m Free -- seeded 112th -- is fast enough to finish 27th in the London Olympics. Or take Megan Romano (my daughters's a big fan of hers). She finished 7th in the 200m Free at the 2012 trials with a 1:58.56. The top six went to London. Her trial's race was good enough to make the semis in London. Fucking brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to brag, but I happen to be vacationing to Colorado next week. My daughter is 12 and since she swims I bought trials tix. So on the way back from CO we'll catch 2 days of the trials...and of course I have 4-5 days worth of tickets! Absolutely cannot wait to see these freaks in the water. I've seen them swim one time and it was crazy impressive. Hopefully Ledecky doesn't breath every stroke in the 50 like last time I saw her :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

It's televised in the USA. Bottom of page at this link has times/channel.

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...television-schedule/

Thanks for that. The USA Swimming website led me to believe it was only streaming.
Now, I need it to populate in my DVR menu - it wasn't found under swimming last night.
It's probably listed as 2016 Rio Olympic Trials or something that doesn't just show up in my ongoing swimming search. (I know, first world problem)
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:

From swimswam:

Troy also express extreme confidence in Dressel’s ability in that event. “I feel pretty certain that if he swum the 200 freestyle at the NCAA meet that he would’ve been outstanding. Probably every bit as good as the guys that won.”

Ummm, so Troy thinks he would have been a 1:30 in the 200 free : ) Ummm... ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Elisabeth Beisel is entered in 9 events!

JOOC, I looked through the women's events and she's swimming the 100 back, all 5 200s, the two 400s, and the 800 free. She's the #2 seed in the 400 IM, 3 in the 200 back, 7 in the 400 free, 10 in the 200 IM, and lower than 10th in the other 5 events. It will be interesting to see how she does. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ledecky at Trials [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
She'd make finals.

For sure, she wouldn't come last in the heats at the Olympics either.
I think she might be the best female athlete in the world across all sports. Her 800 free is just out this world when look at how small the drop off in pace is from her 400.

Ya, if you look at her times compared to her competition, the 100 free to 800 free:

100 - KL seeded 4th, 0.50 sec behind #1 seed.
200 - KL seeded 1st, 1.06 sec ahead of #2.
400 - KL seeded 1st, 4.96 sec ahead of #2.
800 - KL seeded 1st, 15.09 sec ahead of #2. :)

Her 400 seed time/WR is 3:58.37 and her 800 seed time/WR is 8:06.68 so, taking the block start into consideration, she's holding around 1:00/100 m for the 400 and 1:01/100 m in the 800, so only about a 1 sec per 100 fall off. If you look at the men's WRs, the 400 is 3:40 or 55 per 100 m vs the 800 at 7:32 or 56.5 per 100 m. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Jun 24, 16 20:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next